NO PLATINUM!!!! So Sad....

SuchRemorse

I have the same feelings. Games from 2008 - 2014 had a standard that had to be met in regards to trophies. Most PSN games were 100% only titles. Too bad the shovelware had to dilute the trophy hunting scene...

Most online games are dead within a few years, so for anyone wishing to play this game, good luck finding boosting partners.

• Like 2

This is a decent enough game but it needs more work on the technical side, because it's still fairly buggy and the lag can be horrendous sometimes if you get a bad host :(. I enjoyed my time with Blacklight: Retribution enough to get the 100%, mostly without boosting but along with more bug fixes, it really needs more content, because you will burn through most of the existing stuff within the first few hours.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

1 hour ago, KindaSabbath said:

Granted, I wasn’t on the trophy hunting scene back in 2008-2014, however, I disagree that the influx of shovelware has done as much damage to this hobby as people tend to think. If we completely disregard leaderboards (which many these days now do) then I believe the trophy hunting scene is buzzing. 

I wasn’t either. But I joined this forum website back in December of 2014 and unless you had your head buried in the sand, a great deal has changed since then. 

Shovelware is just that, shovelware. It’s just as worthless on Steam as it is on Sony. Most regular people aren’t going to bother with it, it’s generally people competing on the leaderboards buying up these games. 

The trophy lists were designed to be completed as fast as possible. 

The only damage I see from the influx of shovelware - there’s really not much motivation for the average trophy hunter to even want to compete on a numbers level, but I don’t actually see this as a bad thing … If anything, this shifts the focus back to what in my opinion is the very essence of trophy hunting anyway: having fun hunting the games we’re actually interested in playing. Each individual completion carries more weight now than ever because even your average triple A run of the mill platinum is worth 30+ of these trophy spam games. 

@Unknown_v2_0 quit two years ago in October of 2020. I respect his decision to quit, because he was no longer enjoying trophy hunting as a hobby. Was as high as #5 worldwide on the PSNP leaderboards and he bowed out gracefully. 

Enjoyment of games should come first. I value challenge and speeding a little as secondary. I hold some top 10 fastest achiever marks in a select few games. 

I have so many friends both on profiles and on psn that are absolutely in their element ticking off completions and working towards certain profile related goals while having tonnes of fun doing so. These days you see so much variety and many people have very carefully curated profiles that showcase different play-styles. Shovelware is just one play-style and outside of the leaderboards I really don’t think the negative impact on the trophy scene is that bad. 

I have many friends from boosting games, including Assassin‘s Creed Brotherhood and Red Dead Redemption 1. Abstergo Employee of the Month took some serious effort while using voice chat on Discord. When the people are nice working and communicating, that’s an aspect of trophy hunting I really appreciate. And I’m a guy who deliberately avoids most multiplayer, because I hate dealing with bad people. 

I know how this hobby works. I’ve been active for several years at this point. 

To get back on topic - I don’t really mind when a game doesn’t have a platinum. Some of my longest completions and proudest trophies have absolutely nothing to do with a platinum trophy. I personally like the thought of seeking out more ‘non-platinum’ games to try and get my trophy count up while keeping my platinum count low… another example of variety in trophy lists and play-styles!

I have plenty of non platinum games that took serious effort to finish. I don’t just play games with only platinums.

Edited by AJ_Radio

2 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

On the bright side - a game not having a plat is a badge of honour now!

When pretend-games can give you a plat in 45 seconds, just think how good a game is if the devs are confident enough to go “fuck a plat, we’ll keep you playing just on merit!” 1f61c.png

As one of the very few people who have the 100% for Dynamite Fishing, I can agree with this. The Catch A Millionaire trophy is such a pain in the ass. Imagine playing a literal mobile game for 300+ hours for a gold trophy. It's the worst. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

I wanted to get back into it now but it seems like it's dead. Anyone still playing?

My experience is fairly up to date as I started and completed the game not that long ago, but I had no issues running into randoms online. Some modes are dead, but TDM is quite active still. For anything else you'll probably need a boosting partner unless you want to self boost which is slower and even less fun. 

1 hour ago, AJ_Radio said:

Enjoyment of games should come first. I value challenge and speeding a little as secondary. I hold some top 10 fastest achiever marks in a select few games. 

Congrats on the fastest achiever medals that you’ve bagged along your trophy hunting travels! To be honest this is a perfect example… There are multiple level playing fields left for the competitive folk to compete on. First achiever, fastest achiever, in-game leaderboards, psnp events and a whole array of ways for gamers to compete with each other while not having to binge on rubbish trophies disguised as games on the PlayStation network.

My head is definitely not in the sand buddy, which is exactly my point. Even though I’ve not been on the scene for very long in comparison to some of you, including many of my friends who have been active since the dawn of PlayStation trophies - I’m able to see clearly that the impact of shovelware is not ALL bad and while things have most definitely changed, there are always positives that can be what you choose to focus on. This hobby, as much as any other really, is whatever you make of it and diversity is a good thing.

OP I should of added to my post earlier though - if you enjoy Blacklight: Retribution - then it’s totally worth putting in the time to complete it even without a platinum! After all, if the takeaway from any game is that it was a positive experience then imo the trophy breakdown is irrelevant. So IF it seems like it could be good fun, have at it! Even if boosting is required, you could make some awesome friends along the way!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

My experience is fairly up to date as I started and completed the game not that long ago, but I had no issues running into randoms online. Some modes are dead, but TDM is quite active still. For anything else you'll probably need a boosting partner unless you want to self boost which is slower and even less fun. 

When I played it with my fiancee about a month or so ago, it was fairly active in TDM and stuff, but what I wanna know is if there's a way to stop matching with PC players? I'm trying to go for trophies and I just get annihilated. Granted, I enjoy the game very much, but I'm not great at it.

23 hours ago, AJ_Radio said:

Most online games are dead within a few years, so for anyone wishing to play this game, good luck finding boosting partners.

That's another thing that bothers me. I did this legit back when this game came out. I took me a couple of years to get the trophies. Random matches and waiting. Just for a silver and then just for people to boost the game and get the trophies in 1 or 2 days. Uggh sigh lol

• 4 weeks later...

When the game came out it was so grindy in order to reach max level. They have patched it and made it a lot easier. I remember the countless hours grinding. I salute all the players that got the 100% before they mad it easy to level up. Was a painful somewhat fun grind.  

• 1 year later...

Be happy that there a silver trophy... It shouldn't be silver but at least is something. Alot of games don't have a platinum or even a silver trophy to earn all trophies! Does anyone know if theres bronze trophy on a game after earning all trophies?