Monster Hunter Rise and Sunbreak: tips and recommended weapons

HoboTonyRedGrave

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Thanks for the advice. Best case, how long do you think the plats will take?

Hard to tell. It depends heavily on personal skill, weapon of choice and luck. The longest part is going to be getting all golden crowns, for sure. I would say 100/150 hours if you are very efficient and lucky, most likely 200+ hours.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoboTonyRedGrave said:

Hard to tell. It depends heavily on personal skill, weapon of choice and luck. The longest part is going to be getting all golden crowns, for sure. I would say 100/150 hours if you are very efficient and lucky, most likely 200+ hours.

interesting. I'm at 500 hours in world without the plat and this list's numbers (of similar trophies that exist in both) seem to be way higher. 

1 hour ago, ChibsSoA said:

interesting. I'm at 500 hours in world without the plat and this list's numbers (of similar trophies that exist in both) seem to be way higher. 

Consider that mine is just an estimate for the absolute best case scenario, that means knowing what you are doing from the start, completing hunts in 5 minutes or less and being extremely lucky with drop rates. Consider also that Rise is more fast paced than World and Low Rank is easier (you can also skip a good part of it). For what it's worth you can plat World in far less than 500 hours thanks to event quests that drop golden crowns.

Edited by HoboTonyRedGrave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Also, Sunbreak is still adding monsters, right? That ups what you have to do for the crowns, I think. 

Assuming that Capcom alters the requirements for crown-related awards/trophies to include post-launch monsters in both Rise's and Sunbreak's case, then yes.

Rise's post-launch monsters would count towards Sunbreak regardless, IIRC, as they did for the original Switch release.

Edited by Zephrese

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Also, Sunbreak is still adding monsters, right? That ups what you have to do for the crowns, I think. 

Yes, but my estimate is just for base Rise. The Platinum for Sunbreak is going to be much longer and also harder because of Afflicted Monsters Investigations, the grindiest and hardest content so far. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoboTonyRedGrave said:

Yes, but my estimate is just for base Rise. The Platinum for Sunbreak is going to be much longer and also harder because of Afflicted Monsters Investigations, the grindiest and hardest content so far. 

What is your opinion on the game in general? I really, really enjoyed world. But everything I'm reading about rise is that it's a heavily watered down version that doesn't come anywhere near world's level of quality or fun factor. I will play it regardless but from what I've read my expectations got shot down pretty far from where they were. I'm assuming it's better than the 3DS/other one on switch, but just how much worse is it than world?

Edited by ChibsSoA

5 hours ago, Cronopio-- said:

Are they both releasing at the same time?

Rise releases this month, Sunbreak in the spring. 

7 hours ago, HoboTonyRedGrave said:

So you said Rise plat was about 200 best case. What about Sunbreak?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

What is your opinion on the game in general? I really, really enjoyed world. But everything I'm reading about rise is that it's a heavily watered down version that doesn't come anywhere near world's level of quality or fun factor. I will play it regardless but from what I've read my expectations got shot down pretty far from where they were. I'm assuming it's better than the 3DS/other one on switch, but just how much worse is it than world?

It's a great game, gameplay is pretty similar to World but faster and different enough thanks to the Wirebug system so it also feels like a fresh new experience. If what you liked about World was the gameplay then you are going to like this as well, if what you like about World was the ecosystem and the hunting aspect of the game then be warned that Rise is more streamlined in that regard and that the game is more arcadey, so to speak. Rise is still receiving title updates as of now so it's still not complete, but if I have to choose between the two games plus their expansion well, that would be a tough choice. If I really have to pick a favorite then I would go with World by a real small margin; to me World is a 9.5 and Rise is a 9 so they are overall pretty close.

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

So you said Rise plat was about 200 best case. What about Sunbreak?

Best case for Rise I said 100/150 hours. Sunbreak I would say 250/300 hours, depending on your weapon, skill level and if you choose the most efficient grinding strategy for leveling Afflicted Monsters quests (which is repeating the same quest that gives tons of leveling points).

2 hours ago, mrmivo said:

Trophies aside, how much does Sunbreak impact the base game and change the overall experience?

Sunbreak adds a lot of content to base game: a lot of new monsters, two new maps and expands the wirebug system with new moves and a new mechanic called Scroll Swap. Basically you can bring two different set of Wirebug Skills and swap between the two on the fly, adding more depth to the combat.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoboTonyRedGrave said:

Sunbreak adds a lot of content to base game: a lot of new monsters, two new maps and expands the wirebug system with new moves and a new mechanic called Scroll Swap.

Would you recommend waiting for Sunbreak?

Personally I've been going back and forth between getting Rise just because of the time commitment of Sunbreak. But Sunbreak will probably have the same trophy list as the switch version's awards and I think all of those are still single player if I'm not mistaken.

I did world and iceborne platinums, but what helped for a ton of crowns were quests and I do not think Rise or Sunbreak has equivalent quests.

2 hours ago, mrmivo said:

Would you recommend waiting for Sunbreak?

For the Plat yes, crowns for the base Rise roster are going to be much easier to get in Sunbreak.

17 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

I did world and iceborne platinums, but what helped for a ton of crowns were quests and I do not think Rise or Sunbreak has equivalent quests.

Some event quests in Rise and Sunbreak have high chances or 100% drop rate for some specific crowns. Drop rates for regular quests in Sunbreak are not bad at all (6% for small and 10% for large). I got the vast majority of them while playing casually.

• Like 3

I never play the Monster Hunter Games solo as the multiplayer is the best part of the series, I find the solo part boring. That's why I was never able to platinum Iceborne, even though I have the platinum in MHW.

Are there trophies in Rise that I can only earn in solo mode like in Iceborne?

Edited by Sikutai

47 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

Are there trophies in Rise that I can only earn in solo mode like in Iceborne?

The only thing that comes to my mind is Followers quest. Those are quests where you hunt monsters accompanied by two NPCs. Those are required for the Plat but are pretty easy.

I can't remember any Iceborne quest being solo only, you mean treasure hunts?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HoboTonyRedGrave said:

Some event quests in Rise and Sunbreak have high chances or 100% drop rate for some specific crowns. Drop rates for regular quests in Sunbreak are not bad at all (6% for small and 10% for large). I got the vast majority of them while playing casually.

The thing I'm talking about is having multiple event quests where there are a handful of monsters in each quest that are of large crown size.

Unless I missed it in the Rise quests lists, they only seem to give large crowns of specific monsters for special quests, and do not feature a bunch in each biome for large crowns like world does.

31 minutes ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

The thing I'm talking about is having multiple event quests where there are a handful of monsters in each quest that are of large crown size.

Unless I missed it in the Rise quests lists, they only seem to give large crowns of specific monsters for special quests, and do not feature a bunch in each biome for large crowns like world does.

Yeah I got you, what I'm saying is that between those few guaranteed crowns in event quests and the general drop rate being pretty decent, getting all crowns is Sunbreak is not going to take that long. Afflicted Investigations are the real grind in that game.

• 2 weeks later...