Gameplay & Trophy Guides on PSNProfiles

Sly Ripper

I have a question. How long does it take for a guide to be approved or even be responded to? I have been waiting for awhile, but I am not trying to rude.

Hey Superviral! That's definitely our fault because of bad habits we adopted over the past year of "jumping around" the awaiting review queue rather than doing it in the actual date order.  :facepalm: I'm sorry about that! Take a look at the comments area of your guide, I detailed more stuff you'll need to fix so we can finally get this thing published  ;)  Again, very sorry about that!!

Hey Superviral! That's definitely our fault because of bad habits we adopted over the past year of "jumping around" the awaiting review queue rather than doing it in the actual date order.  :facepalm: I'm sorry about that! Take a look at the comments area of your guide, I detailed more stuff you'll need to fix so we can finally get this thing published  ;)  Again, very sorry about that!!

Thanks for the response.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Considering you've removed the ability to create the quite useful tips, which provided a great alternate method of obtaining a trophy that went outside the mainstream thinking, you should at least allow a form of community editing of guides. I've encountered guides that are flat out wrong in some areas, and while I would gladly have created a tip pointing out the correct information, my only option is to tell the author he or she is wrong and hope it gets changed.

Considering you've removed the ability to create the quite useful tips, which provided a great alternate method of obtaining a trophy that went outside the mainstream thinking, you should at least allow a form of community editing of guides. I've encountered guides that are flat out wrong in some areas, and while I would gladly have created a tip pointing out the correct information, my only option is to tell the author he or she is wrong and hope it gets changed.

I respectfully disagree here. Trophy tips were not approved or proofread, so there are plenty that are just as "flat out wrong" as the guides you are referring to. Moreover, trophy tips were not editable, while guides can be changed when the author is notified.

I also strongly disagree with the idea of the entire community being able to edit a guide. Guides are not written overnight. They take quite some time and effort to produce on both the part of the authors and the review team. The work produced should be the property of the author and it is their responsibility to maintain it. While this sytem may not be perfect, I think a system like what you might be describing would be completely unmanageable. 

• Like 4

I respectfully disagree here. Trophy tips were not approved or proofread, so there are plenty that are just as "flat out wrong" as the guides you are referring to. Moreover, trophy tips were not editable, while guides can be changed when the author is notified.

I also strongly disagree with the idea of the entire community being able to edit a guide. Guides are not written overnight. They take quite some time and effort to produce on both the part of the authors and the review team. The work produced should be the property of the author and it is their responsibility to maintain it. While this sytem may not be perfect, I think a system like what you might be describing would be completely unmanageable. 

There were plenty of bad tips, and I noticed many of those were deleted. Your point that tips couldn't be edited is really an argument for making tips editable, not removing them entirely.

As for community editing, other sites do it well. It doesn't need to be a free-for-all; if you've ever used Stackoverflow, you can see that while the site itself has plenty of flaws, the moderator approval system for editing works pretty well. Such a system does require a critical mass of people, but based on the level of activity in the forums here, this site certainly seems to have it. Now, if a guide is flawed, a person can either write a brand new one just to fix a few problems, or - as I said - ask the author to fix it and hope he or she does. It shouldn't be the singular responsibility of one person to repair problems when thousands of people use this site. Furthermore, if a guide author leaves the site, then that would mean those guides can never be modified.

Normally, when starting up a new game, I'll glance at a guide and see how many trophies are story-related, and which are missable. When I get to the final boss of a game and realize that I've only earned two of four supposedly story-related unmissable trophies, I worry a bit that perhaps the game is glitched. Then when I look at the guide and see this https://psnprofiles.com/guide/2592-SONIC-THE-HEDGEHOG-4-Episode-II-Trophy-Guide#Metal-Sonic-Falls I figure that it definitely is. In this case, it wasn't until I looked at a guide on another site that I realized the information was wrong, and the trophy required specific, non-story-related actions. I posted a comment with the hopes it would be changed, but other than that, the only other option is to rewrite an otherwise good guide. With community editing, on the other hand, it could easily be dealt with. If this site wants its guides to be successful, those guides shouldn't be driving people to other sites.

PS Just looked at your profile. That completion rate is insane! >99%? Wow, nicely done.

Edited by ChicagoRedSox

More then once, following a guide here @ psnprofiles, the guide has misinformed me. It's usually just a poor copy and paste directly from ps3trophies or playstationtrophies, but leaving out crucial information on specific trophies, mixing up the missable and unmissable, or not defining well enough the steps to secure potentially missable trophies. I often wonder how they managed to copy and paste the guide and still get the information wrong. I assume it's been done on purpose or something, to confuse people following the guides. I always cross reference the guides from here to the ones on the other sites... usually I just end up using the other site's guide because I don't want to risk the misinformation. If there were a way that users could flag incorrect information within guides, this would never be an issue.

Edited by usrmd

• 2 months later...

Simple question: can I upload a guide that has nothing to do with any of the trophies?

I'll clarify: I'm currently playing J-Stars Victory VS+, and there's a nifty feature on the Gallery that lists all special interactions any given character may have - as long as you've seen them play out first. I'd like to do a list of all of them, but there isn't any trophy that requires you to unlock them all. Can I still upload the guide to the site?

Edited by jrdemr

Simple question: can I upload a guide that has nothing to do with any of the trophies?

I'll clarify: I'm currently playing J-Stars Victory VS+, and there's a nifty feature on the Gallery that lists all special interactions any given character may have. I'd like to do a list of all of the special interactions, but there isn't any trophy that requires you to do it. Can I still upload the guide to the site?

I think this would work better as a thread rather than guide...

If it was a bit related to trophies, you could have made gameplay guide, but with something like this, thread is a better idea imo.

• Like 2

I'll clarify: I'm currently playing J-Stars Victory VS+, and there's a nifty feature on the Gallery that lists all special interactions any given character may have - as long as you've seen them play out first. I'd like to do a list of all of them, but there isn't any trophy that requires you to unlock them all. Can I still upload the guide to the site?

Yeah, a gameplay guide will allow this.

• Like 2

I think this would work better as a thread rather than guide...

If it was a bit related to trophies, you could have made gameplay guide, but with something like this, thread is a better idea imo.

Yeah, a gameplay guide will allow this.

Neat! A thread would also be okay, but seeing as guides have more visibility, I'll try and do one.

• 2 months later...

introducing-guides.png

The future of guides is here. PSNProfiles now allows members to write detailed, in-depth guides with feature rich formatting. In just a few clicks, your guide will be automatically created and templated with the relevant sections. You can even import your already written trophy tips to use as a base for your guide. Editing is easy and similar to posting on the forums; content that you write is saved periodically and can be retrieved if you leave the page for any reason. Once content is saved, the old content is stored and can be reverted to if something went wrong. If you'd like help writing a guide, you can add up to 5 other members who can then also edit the guide. Upon submission, every guide is reviewed by a team to ensure the guide is of high quality and has correct spelling/grammar before being published. Let's take a look at a few features:

guide-overview-heading.png

The overview contains some basic information, it also aggregates and categorizes trophy tags.

guide-overview.png

guide-roadmap-heading.png

The roadmap allows you to specify what each stage of the journey to platinum/100% contains.

You can select trophies to aim for which will appear green/grey depending on if the reader has obtained the trophies.

guide-roadmap.png

guide-editor-heading.png

The editor is powerful. Create tables, upload and embed images, insert YouTube videos.

You can preview your changes or revert older revisions here.

guide-editor.png

guide-contents-heading.png

Browse quickly and easily, jump right to the section you need.

In gameplay guides, you can add and re-order sections here.

guide-contents.png

guide-tags-heading.png

Choose from a list of tags, they help you quickly spot trophy requirements.

They're automatically aggregated in the Overview.

guide-tags.png

guide-caniwrite-heading.png

Yes! As long as you own the game, you are free to create and write your own guide. We're not limited to one guide per game either; if you want to write a guide, you can. If users like your guide, they can use it (if they love it, they'll favourite it). It's really easy to get started, just make sure you're logged in, view the trophies for the game you'd like to write a guide for and click the big green button on the right:

guide-caniwrite-button.png

I'll be writing a more detailed guide about formatting later on. If you have any feedback or find any bugs, post below. Enjoy.

I'm interested in creating guides on other languages (spanish mostly).

Any comments?

I'm interested in creating guides on other languages (spanish mostly).

Any comments?

We don't currently accept guides in other languages at the moment due to us not having the ability to check them properly to see if they are publishable quality like we can with English guides. We also don't really have the proper infrastructure in place for guides in other languages at the moment either. Sorry about that =/ For now, they have to be English guides.

We don't currently accept guides in other languages at the moment due to us not having the ability to check them properly to see if they are publishable quality like we can with English guides. We also don't really have the proper infrastructure in place for guides in other languages at the moment either. Sorry about that =/ For now, they have to be English guides.

It's the best, otherwise people would be like they wanted every language!

OK

It's the best, otherwise people would be like they wanted every language!

And?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a quick couple of questions. I just started my first guide - Shadow of mordor - lord of the hunt DLC guide.

I've just clicked the publish guide button, but nothing happened that was obvious to me. No confirmation or, "hey this is going to the review team". I was wondering if it actually went to the next stage?

Second is, I've embedded a few videos into the guide and some of them are showing up as grey boxes. Not sure how to fix that. I used the same YouTube button to import the videos and some look nice and others have the grey box. Any ideas?

If this isn't the right spot to post, let me know and I'll ask elsewhere.

Thanks

I've got a quick couple of questions. I just started my first guide - Shadow of mordor - lord of the hunt DLC guide...

Hey, there are rare cases where guide mode switching times out and doesn't respond, it's an annoying bug but very rare, sorry you encountered that. If that happens in the future, you just need to try again a few minutes later. I went ahead and pushed it to review status, we'll have a look at it soon ;)

The reason that some videos show up as gray boxes is because YouTube recently updated their video embed rules to purposely not display low-quality thumbnail images for some reason - it's sort of out of our control and it's pretty annoying. xD If you want to, you can try to find videos made by other people for the same trophy with good thumbnail images.

Hey, there are rare cases where guide mode switching times out and doesn't respond, it's an annoying bug but very rare, sorry you encountered that. If that happens in the future, you just need to try again a few minutes later. I went ahead and pushed it to review status, we'll have a look at it soon ;)

The reason that some videos show up as gray boxes is because YouTube recently updated their video embed rules to purposely not display low-quality thumbnail images for some reason - it's sort of out of our control and it's pretty annoying. xD If you want to, you can try to find videos made by other people for the same trophy with good thumbnail images.

Thanks for pushing it to review status. I just wanted to make sure I was all set there.

As far as the vids go, if the thumbnails of grey boxes are ok with the review team, I think I will leave them in. I busted some heiny with a few trophies to show they can be done outside of the story line and want those suckers in there haha

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, i'm learning the tools to make a guide and i've some questions for guides ... 
a - Is there other links than these 2 ones (1 - 2) i need to know to learn more about guides ? 
b - Is there a way to see if someone is already making a guide for a game ? it wouldn't be cool if 2 persons are making their own a guide for the same game, at the same time.
c - Can you make a guide with the base game and DLCs in one guide ? or you need to make different guides, one for the base game, one for the 1st dlc, one other for the 2nd dlc etc ...
d - When i try to make a guide as "Trophy guide", i can see the DLC trophies in stages in "Edit trohies" but no at the right side in "Guide Contents". Is it normal ? 
e - There is a tag called "DLC Required", is it only for "DLC trophy guide" ?
f - Can you delete a guide ? I've 3 unpublished/unfinished guides that were more tests than serious, i would like to delete one but i can't find where. 

g - What mean "Paid DLC packs" ? and why we can choose only 0 to 10 ?

... & some suggestions (somes are related to few previous questions) : 
1 - Add new tag caled something like "User content" (in blue, requiere internet connection)
2 - Add a new category, named "Create" for example, in the guides page for people who want to make guides. In this cateogy you could add this page & this link in one for example. It needs more visibility! 
3 - Allow members to see unpublished guides (not the guide itself, just the name's game & creator(s)), the date of the last modification & a percentage completion of the guide. Could be at the same place as before, here, with a new category named "Unpublished guides". You could also enable the creator to leave a note if he need help, people could help earch others to make guides. Would be easier to find.

4 - Ability to delete our own guides (for unpublished guides, if it still not possible)

Edited by Jeruhnq

Hi, i'm learning the tools to make a guide and i've some questions for guides ... 

a - Is there other links than these 2 ones (1 - 2) i need to know to learn more about guides ? 

b - Is there a way to see if someone is already making a guide for a game ? it wouldn't be cool if 2 persons are making their own a guide for the same game, at the same time.

c - Can you make a guide with the base game and DLCs in one guide ? or you need to make different guides, one for the base game, one for the 1st dlc, one other for the 2nd dlc etc ...

d - When i try to make a guide as "Trophy guide", i can see the DLC trophies in stages in "Edit trohies" but no at the right side in "Guide Contents". Is it normal ? 

e - There is a tag called "DLC Required", is it only for "DLC trophy guide" ?

f - Can you delete a guide ? I've 3 unpublished/unfinished guides that were more tests than serious, i would like to delete one but i can't find where. 

a - I would presume that is all you need to know ;)

b - nope. And iirc, Sly does not plan that. We have a thread "What guide are you currently writing", so you should use that one.

c - nope. Guides work with the assumptions that not everyone wants to purchase DLCs and that's why DLCs have separate guides

d - point c, guides as a whole work only with the base game, but if you don't want to make 2 guides, you can add one "DLC stage"

e - yep

f - not yet

... & some suggestions (somes are related to few previous questions) :

Hey, Satoshi answered most of these above but I'll add to a few of them:

a - That's pretty much it! Once you attempt to publish your guide it will go in our guide review queue and we'll give you feedback if needed. ;)

b - If you want to know if someone is working on a guide, ask me and I'll let you know as I can check that.

d - Oh, I see what you're saying here, that's not supposed to happen, I'll have to let Sly (the site creator) know about that.

g - It means how many DLC packs will you have to buy to get 100% trophies in the game. I also had issue with not being able to list more than 10 (for like Driveclub, Sound Shapes, etc), I'll let Sly know about that too :P

Suggestions:

2 - I also want the Guide Manual to be more visible, it's on the to-do list, perhaps as an overlay link when someone creates a guide for the first time.

3 - This is also on the list, for now you'll have to ask me but we've wanted to see these too.

4 - Also on the list, Sly said he will probably add this later for unpublished guides to auto-delete after months of inactivity.

• 3 weeks later...