Fighting Mini Games

Abminate360

Hi all,

At time of writing this (02/01/2023) here in freezing UK, I've began playing through Lost Judgment, and made the decision to head straight into arcade before wrapping up Chapter 1 ( I have poor Kaito just watching me play these arcade games on repeat). As someone that is awful at the fighting game genre and a button mashing connoisseur, I wanted to share how I handled these mini-games in hope it may spare you all some stress ( although these games can be difficult even if you copy someone else's idea to the letter so do try your own as well).

I do also want to highlight that I am suggesting whatever cheese method I could find - if you want to play properly then all the power to you, and I wish you luck. If however like myself, you just want these ticked off and never played again ( until another sequel anyway) then please read on :).

I'll be discussing button inputs - I will keep it to PS5 console controls rather than the controls highlighted in game such as saying triangle rather than P, circle for K etc. 

Fighting Vipers:

Nostalgic and infuriating all in one neat package. I had to mute my tv for this game and listen to a podcast/ youtube as I was getting sick of having to redo at the end, and I found it personally helped a lot.  With regards to the strat, I picked Bahn. The strategy is simple, we want to cheese these fights. Bahn does a devastating heavy punch that launches the opponent into the ring background by performing a directional movement such as LS -> + X.  What this accomplishes is a heavy handed punch that will essentially knock the opponent across the map. I then found rather than chase them down, let them come to you. You can block with square and side step backwards by moving the stick twice in that direction. In lower rounds, you probably won't even need to block. 

The advantage to fighting vipers is you can redo a round if you fail. Sanman in particular is annoying to fight against as he can essentially perform several wall pushing abilities in a combo. I found a consistent strategy to handle him was to mix in some circle kicks alongside the X punch in order to throw him off. This game does not mask the fact it is reading your inputs, so you may find to avoid constant grabs, a quick kick into punch will handle them. Honey also seems rather grabby, but I found she also played a bit more defensive, as a result, if you can get a few hits in early, you can essentially force her to play offensive and as a result, capitalise with the X punch. Again, we're not playing for skill, we're playing for the path of least resistance!

Virtua Fighter V: Final Showdown:

A fun game with an annoying stipulation that the bonus boss at the end is a one shot attempt or redo the arcade. On the plus side, the strategy below I found finished up this entire arcade section in around 4 minutes in total, so the equivalent of a song on Spotify...

The strat was to play Vanessa, who will turn out to be our camouflaged hero. She has a very spammable and arguably game breaking combo of pressing circle two times on repeat. The result is a high kick following by a back of the head kick before we repeat the process by, you guessed it, doing the exact same circle combo. I won't lie, this really is the definition of cheesing, you'll unlikely get hit until the later rounds but even then, she has good a fairly good punch animation if you need to mix it - but I personally just spammed circle and only blocked with square if I felt particularly concerned i.e Akira fight. Remember if you do fail at this point, the option to replay is there. Provided you don't have many stumbling blocks, you'll likely be able to get to round 8 ( bonus round) in around 2 mins gametime.

For Dural, this is a bit more of an issue but not by much. The same strat applies, but we have to respect Dural who has some pretty devasting combos she can perform, and can essentially chain attacks that will destroy your health bar. You'll be pleased to know however, her aggression is also her downfall. We want to utilise the quickstep method to evade backwards ( moving stick or pressing directional pad twice backwards so left or right depending which way you need to go). When the round starts, the first thing you want to do is quickstep backwards/ block if rng is not on your side and she goes for a quick kick, and then begin mashing circle. Unlike the other fights, do not just press circle, you're going to need to do a bit of quickstepping. Remember, you'll likely be doing a lot more of the damage in the early stage of a round, so don't match her aggression, just play smart, evade back, and utilise the double circle combo.

Sonic Fighters:

Was very excited to play this and I have to say, this is probably the main one I could see myself actually playing a round or two whilst grinding the other 500 things this game has on offer. The combat is very much like Fighting vipers in that it is rather lethargic and slow, button inputs don't feel exceptionally accurate and movement is rather janky. It is however, quite fun and I really liked the music.  One thing to note about this game is defense is limited thanks to the barrier option at the bottom of both characters - as you block and take a hit, part of your barrier runs out. When it runs out completely, it is gone for the entire round ( i.e, deplete it all in the first fight, and you won't have it for fight 2 and 3). It does of course replenish when you go onto the next round, but we can use this to be the crux of our cheese strat.

For the strat, another cheese tactic I loved was to pick Bean, the adorable green duck. Pardon the pun but he has a quacking moveset. Button mashing X performs a three hit combo in which Beam will essentially peck three times. What I found however, is the enemy resorts to trying to block without counterattacking. This means you can continuously peck in the very first fight of each round, and likely have completely removed the opponents barrier, or left them with minimal barrier for fight 2 and 3 ( if you do lose a fight). Once the barrier is gone, you can button mash still and the opponent will have no way of stopping you unless they manage to get a combo between getting up and you hitting again. 

The strat above worked throughout the entire game for me with no retries required. I believe the last fight you need to complete for the phone app is against the mirror version of Bean ( or whoever you pick) and then possibly Sonic afterwards. The metal sonic and eggman fights are not required however I played through them as I found the strat entertaining, and in case you were wondering, I beat both of them relatively easy.

Summary:

I hope this may be of some use to future trophy hunters. Im sure you can tell I am not great at fighting games, but can appreciate they can be entertaining, just not when you have to deal with questionable AI. Please feel free to reach out on my psn or comment on here if you want my thoughts on the game as I progress. I did complete Judgment and got the plat, so anything other than Puyo Puyo I can give at least something of use to help others :)

Thanks for reading my Ted Talk.

Al

With Sonic the Fighters, I went with Amy first (until Espio just kept kicking my ass over and over again). But when that failed, I picked the big bear dude and for the most part, it worked. For me, it was because of how much damage he could dish out in the end. Sure, some fights took a few attempts, but it still worked out for me in the end.

The weird thing was, in the fight against Sonic, the camera switched views to behind me, which made it a little annoying to deal with, as I have no idea which button I pressed to cause the camera to change angles.

Haven't attempted the other two games there yet, as I've still been doing a lot of other stuff in the game, like side cases, beating up people, eating and drinking at the different shops and doing my best at darts. But hey, I'll get back to the other two in game fighting games eventually!