What are your thoughts on New Game+ from a trophy perspective?

Stedde

I've not minded the way they've done it with first-party games lately. Adding a NG+ mode/stack months down the line is a neat incentive to replay the game, but the stack exists in its own DLC space rather than counting towards the platinum. I care more about platinums than 100%, so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me as much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, running_Amok_86 said:

I think NG+ has become a lazy way to add trophies for games.  Seems like almost every game I play has NG+ at this point.  I don't mind if it's a short game under say 10 hours, but having to NG+ something like FF7R or Days Gone or Horizon Zero Dawn was a bit much.

I agree... but I really enjoyed NG+ for Days Gone even combined it with Survival II... I thought the challenge mode for Days Gone was a lazy DLC

I've never minded doing NG+ or difficulty trophies or whatever. It hasn't even ever occurred to me to think that it was a "bad" or "cheap" way of doing trophies. More than anything it depends on what all is involved with NG+ and what trophies might only be possible in a NG+ setting or if you have to get a missable you passed up etc. Personally even if you said the NG+ run will have no additional features, no additional trophy unlocks, no additional value at all beyond just playing the game again I don't tend to care. I get the 100% in every game I play, that's motivation enough.

Edited by Deadly_Ha_Ha
  • Like 3

Depends on the game, the type of game, the implementation, what you get (both in terms of what you earn in the first loop that carries over or impacts the game, and what you get for doing it again), and how much of the base game is/was accessible in a normal single playthrough. I don’t feel like there’s a one size fits all standard.

I could do without NG+ in Horizon or Days Gone, for example; they don’t bring much to the table, and I’m already not in love with the games to start with. Didn’t mind one way or the other with Spider-Man (though I still need to sit down and do it for Miles Morales.) Love it in most of the SMT titles, where I get new personas/demons to fiddle around with and usually new content of some type (or in games that are stricter with your time management or that have multiple endings, content that isn’t necessarily new or unique to NG+, but that weren’t possible to see everything in one go; in those instances, I’d rather have NG+ so I can focus more on what I haven’t seen than dealing with the minutia of grinding, optimization, etc.)

One area of NG+ that I usually don’t care for, regardless of other factors, is collectible hunting… in particular because a lot of games don’t give you an easy method to tell which doodads you’ve already gotten. So going into NG+ (or even post-story free roam) I’m left going “cool. So I have 75/100 doodads And no way of knowing which are the 25 doodads I’m missing, the game doesn’t leave ‘placeholders’ in the spots I already hit so even if i use a guide at this point I’m playing a guessing game if it’s one I already have or if I’m just not following instructions properly.” It’s why I never buckled down to get the platinum for Darksiders II or God of War (2018), though it’s my understanding there apparently is a way to track what areas you’re missing things in in GoW and I’m just dumb. ?

• Like 1

I think there's a time and place for them.

I generally don't mind them for added replay value. Sometimes I hate starting fresh for a second playthrough, especially when difficulty trophies don't stack. But I only appreciate NG+ trophies as a part of the list if the game requires a second playthrough anyway, i.e. the NG+ trophy isn't the last trophy on my list when I start my second playthrough.

Spider-Man Miles Morales was extremely guilty of this, adding no reason to NG+, but having it be a part of the platinum. It just added nothing to the game overall, so that NG+ trophy sucked. When I "rented" Spider-Man: Miles Morales from Gamestop, I dreaded that NG+ playthrough as part of the platinum list. It felt absolutely pointless and just padded out the gameplay, making me replay all the silly stealth parts before returning it. I know that's not how it's meant to be played, but when I finished playthrough 1, it was my LAST trophy.

Marvel's Spider-Man's added trophies were fine IMO because they were not only tacked on as DLC trophies, but they at least tacked on a new difficulty trophy to make it slightly more rewarding. Not being required for the platinum was a plus too, albeit still annoying because DLC trophies can suck sometimes. But that's a whole other discussion.

Edited by Long-Ryde

As pretty much everyone else has already said, it depends on the game. There are some games where playing the story multiple times with a NG+ format did not annoy me at all, quite the contrary. Games like Batman Arkham City, Batman Arkham Origins and others come to mind. If the developers really take their time to restructure the enemies you fight and the tactics that they use, it does not get boring or repetitive. Other games, such as Max Payne 3 and Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, had cool NG+ modes (perhaps a stretch, since Max Payne 3 did not have a skill tree) not because of the different enemy layouts, but because you were forced to truly learn the game. I played Max Payne 3 so much that I knew all the enemy spawns and could score one-hit headshots from hip-fire without missing or using bullet time. Other games just have boring NG+, where you just have to play the game and nothing really changes. I would say that the lack of a real challenge or the lack of a need to change the way you play makes a NG+ bad

• Like 1

I don't like it when NG+ is an individual trophy, but am a fan of using it to tackle harder difficulties.

For instance, Spider-Man introduced the NG+ trophy alongside the Ultimate difficulty. I think just asking to beat the Ultimate difficulty is enough as most would do it in NG+, so it's kind of redundant to ask for NG+ as an individual trophy.

• Like 1

Usually NG+ trophies involve playing with another character or on hardest, so it does not bother me much. I skip all cutscenes and dialogue and am more efficient than on my first playthrough. I only hate it when it is a game that I just want to end asap. Now trophies that require multiple playthroughs annoy me. 

A Sony game asking for NG+? No way, you can't even skip the cutscenes most of the time.

Miles Morales at least was a pretty short game, but even then I'd rather not need to do that for plat.

Any other publisher, not the worst thing. NG+ tend to go fast on those by skipping cutscenes and being op, and hey, sometimes they change things up.

Would take NG+ over trophies as for NG+ trophies I am not a fan of especially when they make NG+ the highest difficulty only. The whole point of NG+ is to be Overpowered, and it is fun when you want to trounce the enemies that gave you issues before. Also you can up the difficulty for a new challenge, Also not a fan of when they do not include it in release and "patch" it in later. 

Nota a fan of "release now patch later" mentality of companies now-a-days.

I feel like NG+ should be easy enough to implement that it should not need three to six months to appear and certainly shouldn't be touted as a "new feature" or "support". 

I think it's just a lame way to try and curb trade-ins.

As far as a trophy for NG+, I'm fine with it as long as it's there at launch. Adding one or two trophies for it after the fact is annoying.

• Like 1

Yeah NG+ trophies are annoying if they are part of the base platinum. I like how lots of Sony games do them like Horizon and God of War where they come out a few months later and are DLC. That gives you a reason to re-beat it if you want to and by then the game has changed and is more polished. The one included in Miles Morales was definitely lame cause you just had to run back through the game you just beat again. 

• Like 2

I personally do not like needing to do more than one playthrough to get a platinum, but probably 90% of my games need 2 if not multiple runs. I have almost all the Tales plats except the two Symphonia games, and had needed 2-3 runs for each plat (Vesperia and Innocence R were 3), with the exception of Arise and Hearts R. All the others were 2 playthroughs at least, and there was NG+ for all of them. Other games that I loved but had so do NG+ were Persona 4 Golden and Caligula 2, both games I loved so didn't mind it a huge amount. Persona 3 portable coming out this month also looks like 2 runs, as there's trophies for completing it with both protagonists and also defeating the NG+ bosses. 

Soul Hackers was another, required 2 runs just for soul levels which was ridiculous, and it doesn't carry over to NG+ so you have to redo all the requests and personal events again. 

I just skip scenes and run past all the enemies in NG+ runs. I turn the difficulty right down to the lowest as well to make it as smooth and quick as possible. 

I hate it when games need more than two, that drives me nuts. I remember Crystar had me two like 4 (although not full), and this game didn't allow you to skip scenes. I know Nier replicant makes you do 4 playthroughs, which is why I did not get it

At least FF games don't need NG+, all my FF plats were in one playthrough. 

1 hour ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I personally do not like needing to do more than one playthrough to get a platinum, but probably 90% of my games need 2 if not multiple runs. I have almost all the Tales plats except the two Symphonia games, and had needed 2-3 runs for each plat (Vesperia and Innocence R were 3), with the exception of Arise and Hearts R. All the others were 2 playthroughs at least, and there was NG+ for all of them. Other games that I loved but had so do NG+ were Persona 4 Golden and Caligula 2, both games I loved so didn't mind it a huge amount. Persona 3 portable coming out this month also looks like 2 runs, as there's trophies for completing it with both protagonists and also defeating the NG+ bosses. 

Soul Hackers was another, required 2 runs just for soul levels which was ridiculous, and it doesn't carry over to NG+ so you have to redo all the requests and personal events again. 

I just skip scenes and run past all the enemies in NG+ runs. I turn the difficulty right down to the lowest as well to make it as smooth and quick as possible. 

I hate it when games need more than two, that drives me nuts. I remember Crystar had me two like 4 (although not full), and this game didn't allow you to skip scenes. I know Nier replicant makes you do 4 playthroughs, which is why I did not get it

At least FF games don't need NG+, all my FF plats were in one playthrough. 

Just noting that while Nier and Crystar technically make you do multiple runs, they’re not the same run each time. There’s new scenes, altered objectives and additional information/context presented. It’s just presented/disguised as NG+, but it’s actually one continuous (or timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly thing) story.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DesmaBR said:

A Sony game asking for NG+? No way, you can't even skip the cutscenes most of the time.

Miles Morales at least was a pretty short game, but even then I'd rather not need to do that for plat.

Any other publisher, not the worst thing. NG+ tend to go fast on those by skipping cutscenes and being op, and hey, sometimes they change things up.

You can skip cut scenes on Miles Morales