What are your thoughts on New Game+ from a trophy perspective?

Stedde

20 hours ago, James Tiger said:

Don't mind New Game+ at all, I quite enjoying play through the game again with fully upgraded weapons. 

Same here Tiger Man. Going through again on New Game + is much more fun and of course having fully upgraded weapons carrying over is even more fun anyway. :)

In my own opinion. Having New Game + is a good thing and I have done a handful of em. Marvel's Spiderman, Persona 5 Strikers, Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII Reunion and plenty more to go on lol. :)

• Like 4

As many have said, I appreciate it if it's a transformative experience in terms of gameplay or story. Games like FF7R, Batman Arkham Knight, and the NieR games have great NG+ modes. Don't mind it otherwise, but I'm usually not in to mood to play the game again right away with damage scaled enemies etc.

On 03/01/2023 at 3:45 PM, craig_obviously said:

I agree... but I really enjoyed NG+ for Days Gone even combined it with Survival II... I thought the challenge mode for Days Gone was a lazy DLC

I have to say that I really enjoyed the challenge mode for Days Gone because it was a bit different and I liked the difficulty of it, just enough to present a decent challenge.  But I just loved that game full stop to be honest.

I think NG+ is a cheap shot at getting you to spend even more time playing the game - and that's after collectibles/ chapter select for cleaning up certain trophies etc. 

I have a few games I need to go back to for NG+ to clean my backlog up but I just don't want to slog through them again, I enjoyed the story the first time around. And that doesn't mean I won't play them again - for the special games I really enjoy I can just play through them again at will.

But yes, NG+ for me is a turnoff.

On 03/01/2023 at 10:53 PM, Ashande said:

Just noting that while Nier and Crystar technically make you do multiple runs, they’re not the same run each time. There’s new scenes, altered objectives and additional information/context presented. It’s just presented/disguised as NG+, but it’s actually one continuous (or timey-wimey-wibbly-wobbly thing) story.

Yes it is, although in Crystar half of it is about the same and for some reason you cannot skip scenes on dialogue in it, so you have to watch the scenes that are the same again until you get to the part that's different. The one thing that did annoy me was you had to play that prologue thing as a butterfly at the very start of the game every single time, which didn't make sense. 

I really can’t stand NG+. It nearly always falls between the lines of speed running something quick and getting zero enjoyment out of it and all you can think about is getting that last trophy or the game being so long that after the first run the game is done. I just don’t understand it, I’ve done the story and know exactly how everything is going to be so why would I want to do it again with zero twists or imagination. Next they’ll be doing remasters of films the exact same way as before. Also can’t stand when they bring out DLC long after the game. Sure, I’m definitely going to pay 20 bucks for a game I haven’t touched in a few months or years 

Also can’t stand missables with no chapter select or free roam to clean up forcing guides and extra play throughs for literally no reason than to say well the game we made must be good because loads of people played it several times for these trophies they missed 

Edited by Hitman_Spinksy1
  • Like 2

On 07/01/2023 at 11:27 PM, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

I really can’t stand NG+. It nearly always falls between the lines of speed running something quick and getting zero enjoyment out of it and all you can think about is getting that last trophy or the game being so long that after the first run the game is done. I just don’t understand it, I’ve done the story and know exactly how everything is going to be so why would I want to do it again with zero twists or imagination. Next they’ll be doing remasters of films the exact same way as before. Also can’t stand when they bring out DLC long after the game. Sure, I’m definitely going to pay 20 bucks for a game I haven’t touched in a few months or years 

Also can’t stand missables with no chapter select or free roam to clean up forcing guides and extra play throughs for literally no reason than to say well the game we made must be good because loads of people played it several times for these trophies they missed 

Lol, I made a post on this topic on the 1st page a few days ago, but this says how I feel better than I managed to say it! 

Love the passion @Hitman_Spinksy1 ! ?? 

I bumped into some games like "Days Gone" for example, which contains trophies related to NG+, although they are not required for platinum. I personally do not prefer NG+ because it kills the experience throughout the gameplay. I can say I am a trophy hunter, but I try to avoid games which require completing the storyline twice. Difficulty (in this case having to find weapons, upgrades etc. which makes enemies harder to beat) is a huge part of game experience and makes games more fun to play. I imagine (might be stupid example but..) if I started GTA Online for the first time and transferred over 50 million $ from single player to there. I maybe complete heists once, buy everything I can, and get bored after 5 days. Making money is difficult but it is a part of an experience. So yeah, NG+ overall? Nah.

18 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Just gonna leave this here:

Yes, I do appreciate what the dude is saying, but I’m not sure it’s exactly what some of us are getting at. Replaying Detroit (for me anyway) is a completely different kettle of fish to say, replaying dark souls 3, three times just to pick up some extra rings in ng+ and ng++. I’ve got both plats.  I enjoyed Detroit. Different playthrough meant seeing different scenes, different consequences etc etc.it didn’t feel like a real ng+. But playing the exact same levels with the exact same enemies with the exact same story (again, for me anyway) I’d argue doesn’t truly make any difference if I do it straight away or 6 months later. I’ve still already done and already seen everything I’ve got waiting ahead of me. It’s at this point I agree with what’s being said. I’ll either drop the platinum because the game just isn’t interesting me enough to consider a replay,  or like it enough to begrudgingly do what I have to for the plat. 

But ultimately, absolutely, I’m only ever doing a ng + for the trophy. I do have this affliction the dude talks about. Never, not once would it be because I enjoyed the game. If the trophy wasnt there I wouldn’t even consider picking up a game I’ve already played and doing it all again, no matter how much I got out of playing it the first time.

Edited by PotrikBerger
Called it Demon Souls 3, not Dark Souls 3....so yeah, had to change that
  • Like 1

If it’s a game I really enjoyed then I don’t mind replaying in new game + to get the trophy if it’s required for platinum if its just to get the 100% then I usually don’t unless I was going to replay regardless, Also if its a short game then I may do it straight after if its a long one then never after to much of a good thing and all that, I’ll come back to it in a later date that way I get to enjoy the story once again with all my stuff when it’s no longer fresh in my mind, If it’s a game I didn’t particularly enjoy or enjoyed but yet have no desire to replay then yeah It’s annoying I don’t like it but that all comes down to whether I’m bothered or not to get it.

Edited by blacklight-nero

I like New Game Plus when you get the best armour or gear at the end of the game it gives you a reason to replay it with that armour as I think its pointless having the best armour at the end once you've done everything and this means you can play the whole game with it.

I'm currently playing God of War and its so good I actually want a New Game Plus trophy in there. 

14 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

Yes, I do appreciate what the dude is saying, but I’m not sure it’s exactly what some of us are getting at. Replaying Detroit (for me anyway) is a completely different kettle of fish to say, replaying dark souls 3, three times just to pick up some extra rings in ng+ and ng++. I’ve got both plats.  I enjoyed Detroit. Different playthrough meant seeing different scenes, different consequences etc etc.it didn’t feel like a real ng+. But playing the exact same levels with the exact same enemies with the exact same story (again, for me anyway) I’d argue doesn’t truly make any difference if I do it straight away or 6 months later. I’ve still already done and already seen everything I’ve got waiting ahead of me. It’s at this point I agree with what’s being said. I’ll either drop the platinum because the game just isn’t interesting me enough to consider a replay,  or like it enough to begrudgingly do what I have to for the plat. 

But ultimately, absolutely, I’m only ever doing a ng + for the trophy. I do have this affliction the dude talks about. Never, not once would it be because I enjoyed the game. If the trophy wasnt there I wouldn’t even consider picking up a game I’ve already played and doing it all again, no matter how much I got out of playing it the first time.

The post is specifically about people complaining about having to replay the same game in such a short period of time and it's in response to The Last of Us part II in which you have to play the game at least one more time for 100% (two times to be more efficient). Not every platinum is meant to be tackled in one go, especially those with missable trophies. Sometimes they are best parked until enough time has passed for a fresh playthrough. 

I agree that Detroit Become Human is fun to replay immediately after for some reason - I actually mention that in my response to that post, but I also mention my experience with Heavy Rain and how I wanted to go for the platinum even when I wasn't a trophy hunter because I loved the game so much. But attempting a playthrough again so soon after I'd beaten it diminished my story, making it feel less immersive. David Cage games typically aren't meant to be played more than once and the man himself even advises against this. So I left Heavy Rain for a few years and when I finally returned I had an absolute blast replaying it because it was nostalgic. It became one of my favourite platinum experiences and I will now forever be left with fond memories of the game all because I left it alone for a while.

Regarding the topic at hand, personally, I love new game plus modes as they are the ultimate time travel fantasy. Forcing myself to do a new game plus when I'm not in the mood would ruin that but that would be on me, not the game.

13 hours ago, Vault-TecPhantom said:

Regarding the topic at hand, personally, I love new game plus modes as they are the ultimate time travel fantasy. Forcing myself to do a new game plus when I'm not in the mood would ruin that but that would be on me, not the game.

I can respect that and all the power to you. The difference clearly is how we each feel about it. I’d always be forcing myself to do ng+ because I would never be in the mood for it, no matter how long I left it before coming back. I’d say that’s on the game for having ng+tied to trophies. It’s not my fault I don’t enjoying replaying things in the exact same way I’ve already played them,  no more than you can help how positive you feel when time travelling. Neither one of those reactions to ng+ are on the game. 

For me the argument about when we play ng+ doesn’t stack up. I’ve got the last of us part 2 plat. It makes absolutely no difference to my boredom levels in repeating what I’ve already played whether I do it straight after or a year later. I still know all the story, the big twists and reveals, it’s still everything I’ve already done. And with a game like last of us, where the story is everything, ng+ makes no sense to me. It’s a waste of my time, and it doesn’t matter when I repeat everything I’ve already played, be it immediately or some time in the future, I’m still wasting my time replaying something I’ve already experienced when I could be playing something new and discovering a fresh story.