Member Interviews: ExistentialSolid

Charizarzar

Wow -- this was awesome. Your interests with Nintendo remind me greatly of myself.

I actually like Star Fox Zero -- though for a PlatinumGames title, I felt like it was too limited. I'd like to see them have a more honest budget and scope if they're ever permitted to venture again with Nintendo's IPs. I'm also a lover of Zelda -- my personal favorite is Minish Cap. I was in 7th grade when it released and the amount of times I've replayed it is comical. Not counting Star Fox (though like you, Assault's multiplayer is something I engaged with a lot as a kid) -- many of Nintendo's supreme titles are the ones that were outsourced, I feel. I'm glad they're still willing to do that today (I actually really adored Metroid Dread).

However, there is a particular game I gotta gush about:

4 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

If you could have one game from any gaming generation be remade or re-released, which one would it be and why?

I would crawl across a sea of broken glass to see a remake of F-Zero GX (either on the Switch or on Nintendo's next home console).

dzerogx-sq-1642802351732-1-30

At the risk of sounding delusional, I think F-Zero GX is the greatest racing game ever made. It's zero-g perfection. The controls, even by today's standards, feel sharp and responsive. The gameplay is silky smooth. The sense of speed is unmatched. The balance between precision and accessibility is navigated masterfully. The music is god-tier. The story kicks ass. WipEout wishes it was half the game F-Zero GX managed to be on the GameCube in 2003.

There's debate over how many units the game sold (ranging from 0.65 million to 1.5+ million), but neither estimate is anywhere near enough people to have experienced perfection. If you still have a GameCube hanging around or you have a way to play it on a PC, just try it. You can yell at me if you disagree. I'll fight all of you! This is a hill I'll happily die on.

If they remade it... you might never see me again. Updated visuals, maybe a few tweaks to the tracks or the machines (a few are OP), accessibility options, online multiplayer, and online leaderboards would all have me foaming at the mouth.

Here's the E3 trailer from back in the day just because:

This game is fucking unreal.

Immediately when I got this game, it was evident that it wasn't developed by Nintendo. SEGA (and specifically, the intensity from the Yakuza studio) couldn't have made a better game. Some of the music reminds me of Metal Gear Rising. I hope that unless a remake is 1:1 -- it's untouched and just given to us in the form of a remaster with online abilities.

Found some active AX machines when I was living in Japan. Next time I visit, I'll take pictures and maybe some footage if I'm able to.

• Like 4

Great interview! For those who don’t know him — I have had the pleasure of chatting with ExistentialSolid a few times around the community and even had the pleasure of teaming up with him once to play Magicka 2 for a few days, and I can tell you that he is a really friendly guy. He’s also got a super impressive profile with an insane UR trophy collection! 

I was a bit of a late bloomer when it comes to video games and I’ve always considered myself to be an extremely average when it comes to raw skills and knowledge/experience of games, but I’ve quite recently begun to take more of an interest in the more prestigious side of this hobby and the thrill that comes with pursuing more challenging trophies, and it’s guys like you whose profiles I look to for inspiration and ideas on new games and genres to explore. I think you imparted some really good advice and wisdom on this particular topic throughout the interview and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on those bits.

It’s also pretty clear you have a very long and rich gaming history, and a wealth of knowledge, thoughts and stories to go with it. Reading about your favourite games and the titles that shaped you into the trophy hunter you are now was pretty neat. You have some funny stories too. As a fellow Evil Big Brother, I especially got a kick out of the tale of how you tricked your poor little brother into helping you buy the Zelda collection for your own nefarious purposes. Lmao. ?

Anyways, Happy New Year to you mate. I hope that you can achieve all your goals for 2023. Thank you for sharing your history with us because I really enjoyed reading it!

• Like 2

that was a good read :) 

Have you ever considered writing a guide for a game you've played?

I have! In fact, I've co-authored one in the past, but it's gone now. 

sh2hol-50

I'd be open to writing another in the future if I find a friend or two to write one with. To be honest with you though, I think I prefer contributing little bits of info here and there rather than trying to break down an entire game.

An edge TrueAchievements has over PSNP, in my opinion anyway, is the ability to make guides for individual achievements rather than the full game. I'd have written dozens of mini-guides by now had PSNP followed in their footsteps. As games continue to grow in size and scope, it doesn't really make sense to continue trusting one or two people with the job of optimally guiding players through an entire game. Making matters worse, there's a lot of competition to crank out a "good enough" guide as soon as possible for new releases rather than waiting for something more "optimal" to fill the void. Unfortunately, it's rare to ever see better, more comprehensive, guides replace these first pass efforts, at least on PSNP, so we're often stuck with mediocrity.

It would be cool to someday see a hybridized system in which the efforts of many individual authors are compiled into an ever-evolving trophy guide. In the same way that TA shows readers the most upvoted guides first, this theoretical guide would automatically assemble the most popular individual trophy guides into one document accompanied by the most popular road maps and tips. Then again, accurately assessing "popularity" might be a point of contention and would be harder to gauge the older a game gets... Setting the idea aside, my point is that I don't think the current system will last forever. There are too many attention seekers riding the waves of relevance and muddying the waters for the authors that can actually write a worthwhile trophy guide.

i actually want to know what game that was for, there's always random stuff that intrigues me. your right (in my opinion) where you say "there's a lot of competition to crank out a "good enough" guide as soon as possible for new releases rather than waiting for something more "optimal" to fill the void. Unfortunately, it's rare to ever see better, more comprehensive, guides replace these first pass efforts, at least on PSNP, so we're often stuck with mediocrity." as a new guide writer myself (having one published on new years eve, which was actually new year's day for me so it's actually the first guide for 2023 for me, enough rambling) i tend to be interested in writing guides where no one has written one yet. i do what to give credit where crdit is due though and especially to writers like @SlyCooperFan100 who update their guides with additional information (fixes, dlc information etc) years after the original guide was published (especially Sly's best series ever Ace combat guides) which gets a huge round of applause from me.

the only problem IMO i have with guides is when the author just vanishes (you know the type that last earn a trophy like 3 years ago) and there's no one to update the guide.

if you ever want to co-author a guide i would be glad to help.

Least favourite thing about America/living in America?

I hate how quickly patriotism in this country can devolve into nationalism. American exceptionalism, the idea that America is somehow inherently special, is so deeply embedded into the fabric of American society that you can't go one day without hearing someone say "America is the greatest country on earth!" or "Made in America, by Americans, for Americans!" or "We're putting America first!" This toxic narrative produces self-centered, often racist, and nationalist people, yet that narrative continues to echo unfettered across classrooms and over the airwaves.

I hate how easy it is for someone to purchase assault weapons. An 18 year old can walk into a department store and walk out with two AR-15s without so much as a background check. Do you have any idea how messed up and dangerous that is? You can't even purchase alcohol until the age of 21. But as soon as someone dares to push back with "we need to ban assault weapons or raise the legal age to purchase firearms or perform extensive background checks before the sales of any firearms" you're met with a crowd of delusional lunatics that say "wE neEd fReeDoM! YoU liBs caN'T taKe mUh gUns awAy." It may sound as though I'm building up a straw man, but there are legitimately no rational arguments on the other side of the fence.

I hate that women's rights and LGBTQ+ rights are still serious issues in the 21st century. I hate that teachers aren't paid nearly enough for what they do. I hate that you have to fight for a living wage in this capitalist dystopia (forget "thriving" wage). I hate that I feel so powerless...

add abortion to that list as well. let's be frank here, if the us tried to change the drinking age from 18 to 21 today i doubt it would because the conservatives would be like "LeFt WiNg IdOiTs ArE RuInInG OuR CoUnTrY".

"America is duh best country" nah bro, Uk is better (ignore our politics and strikes, and those Scottish independence people pls), The serious issues here are how terrible the conservatives running our government has done in the past year the economy (which is DEFINITELY not in recession or collapsing right about now)  and more recently Immigration mainly with Brexit (just leave at that please) and education sort of secondary issues that are sort of appears on news but mainly the main ones.

5 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

Is there a tough game you'd recommend to people who normally avoid challenging plats?

Sort of!

Here's the thing. Some people, no matter what you do or say, will find no satisfaction in the pursuit of challenging plats. That's fine. As frustrating or unrelatable as these people can be, it's best to learn to accept them as they are and not bug them with all the hard games you want them to try. The people you want to target are the ones that enjoy a challenge, but that don't believe they're capable of achieving success at higher levels of difficulty. To those of you out there that fit into this box, I want to talk to you specifically!

One of the best ways to break out into the exciting worlds of challenging plats is to look critically at what you either know you excel at or have a lot of experience with. Maybe you've been hooked on platformers from a young age or have been playing racing games all your life. Try to find one genre you believe you're the best at and make it a temporary focus. 

When I started getting into trophy hunting in my mid-20s, I already had hundreds of platformers under my belt ranging from the NES all the way up to current gen, so I felt that my best bet would be to attempt a challenging platformer first. I looked through the forums and found Super Meat Boy to be the quintessential "hard" platforming plat, so I dove into the deep end and gave it my all. When I eventually succeeded, my confidence started to improve dramatically and I felt incredible!

The key is to find a genre you're best at and dive recklessly into the deep end!

• Are you a fan of platformers too? Consider trying Super Meat Boy, VVVVVV, or Splasher.
  • Are you a fan of racing games? Consider trying Trackmania Turbo, Crash Team Racing, or Assetto Corsa.
  • Are you a fan of FPS games? Consider trying Wolfenstein II, Shadow Warrior, or Warhammer Vermintide II.
  • Are you a fan of strategy games? Consider trying XCOM 2 or Frostpunk.
  • Are you a fan of fighters? Consider trying Ultra Street Fighter IV, UMvC3, or Skullgirls.
  • Are you a fan of shoot-em-ups? Consider trying Ikaruga, Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors, or Deathsmiles 1+2.
  • Are you a fan of puzzle games? Consider trying Tetris Effect.

There are so many genres and sub-genres you could specialize in, you only need to find what you love and build up the guts to step up to one of the many challenges out there! There are plenty of other great options for difficult games, so don't take this as any sort of definitive list. Several of these were great entry points for me specifically, but you'll likely find your own entry points as you explore whichever genres you're into. Make it a point to put your absolute all into whichever game you select though! If you succeed, I'm convinced your confidence will start to shift just like mine and you'll eventually feel like you can conquer the world if you put your mind to it!

TBH, we need all of the Easy tech mobile games on playstation. if you don't who they are they are (i think) Chinese gave dev who realises games on ios on the app store. if your a fan of Turn based strategy games, i highly recommend trying them, most are free or under £1. if those were on playstation then they probably be UR and i bet the trophy for finishing the last level of the campaign for each one would be UR. probanly the barrier towards plat would be if there was a "get 3 stars on all campaign missions" trophy. now that will be sub 1%

i need to go back to them at some point.

any good turn based strategy games on Playstation (excluding civilisation)?

5 hours ago, Charizarzar said:

Top 5 favorite music bands/group/artists/composers/OST?

I'm glad to see "OST" included in this question because I don't listen to music all that often. Most of the time, I use music as background noise for when I'm writing or trying to get work done. Thing is, I have trouble focusing when there's lyrics in the mix, so I have to listen to tracks that have no vocals if I wanna make progress. A few of my favorites to put on in the background (in no particular order) include:

1. Outer Wilds OST
  2. Relaxing Video Game Music in a Cozy Room (N64)
  3. Silent Hill 2 OST
  4. Metroid Prime OST
  5. 3 Hours of Relaxed Donkey Kong Music

Now, if we're talking about those rare occasions where I do listen to music with lyrics, I like to pick out one song, crumple myself into a ball, and listen to it on repeat for a while (usually only when I'm feeling sad).  Most of my top picks are buried alongside repressed memories, but a few I've been able to dredge up include The Fray's "How to Save a Life," Taylor Swift's "Back to December," Paramore's "Still Into You," Coldplay's "Viva la Vida," and Matchbox Twenty's "Unwell." All pretty basic stuff, I know, but... hey, it's what I liked.

man you need to listen to the Item asylum OST. sure it's a game on roblox but man it's fun as all heck and and it's OST slaps harder then the backhand slap (if you ever play roblox, please try this game it's fun as heck)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAUt2Zj-hzM&list=PLxghcn2wKrZgdPWhXXcJZOPB_NR76qfQE

(above link should bring you to a playlist with the full OST)

• Like 3

I find it really interesting that you ended up a trophy hunter, despite all your favorite series being Nintendo franchises. That little dopamine hit when we get that ding from a trophy is really something isn't it?

For the record, that's not a slam, I'm exactly the same way, it just funny where we end up hobby wise sometimes.

It's always interesting to find out more about someone who's inspired some of your gaming milestones. Your "Destroy me" thread is responsible for two of my harder plats, so I'll always be grateful for the kick in the ass it gave me out of my comfort zone.

Regarding music, do you listen to anything while grinding boring trophies? If so, is it different from your normal fare? I'm sure space overlords didn't require game audio, or concentration, so that would seem like a time for more active music than bgm. I recently finished Godzilla, and I couldn't have done it without music/podcasts holding more of my attention than the game, so I'm curious what you do for gaming situations like that.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ExistentialSolid said:

Thinking back, I really was an evil big brother. 1f602.png The same younger brother in that story had a very strong sense of empathy when he was little and, whenever I felt like messing with him, I'd point out something he's doing in a game that could be described as "mean" and make him feel extremely guilty for doing it. If he accidentally hit a friendly NPC for example, I'd make him feel so bad that he'd feel pressured into turning off the game entirely just so that the NPC wouldn't "remember" it. 

Happy New Year to you as well and thank you for taking the time to read this! 

Oh my god I’m dying of laughter right now. That is hilarious! You must have corrupted the childhood innocence right out of him with stunts like that after he grew older and realized you were just messing with him.

My brothers and I didn’t have a whole lot of games around us growing up, but I do remember doing similarly evil things to them at times with the ones we did. I recall split-screen racing in a couple PC games where I reconfigured their side of the controls so I’d annihilate them. Or one time using a link cable to trade away some of my brother’s best Pokémon from his GameBoy when he wasn’t there to stop me, and successfully convincing him I was actually just “helping” and he got the better end of the deal after he caught me.

One of the funniest ones I remember was when we were playing this Tank vs Tank game on our neighbour’s computer (I forget the name of it) with my middle brother. Neither of us were very good at it, but naturally I wanted to win and my brother was frustrating my natural efforts to do so. Somehow I convinced him to leave the room for a couple minutes, with the game running, while I prepared a “surprise” for him. I remember going in and destroying all his bases one by one with absolutely no resistance from his AFK tanks while he grew increasingly suspicious from the other room, all the while I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. He was not too pleased with me when he discovered what I had done lmao. ?

I was an evil sunnuvabitch sometimes, but believe me my brothers gave as good as they got sometimes! We laugh about all that kind of stuff now.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 8:36 AM, Moridin83 said:

I find it really interesting that you ended up a trophy hunter, despite all your favorite series being Nintendo franchises. That little dopamine hit when we get that ding from a trophy is really something isn't it?

For the record, that's not a slam, I'm exactly the same way, it just funny where we end up hobby wise sometimes.

It's always interesting to find out more about someone who's inspired some of your gaming milestones. Your "Destroy me" thread is responsible for two of my harder plats, so I'll always be grateful for the kick in the ass it gave me out of my comfort zone.

Regarding music, do you listen to anything while grinding boring trophies? If so, is it different from your normal fare? I'm sure space overlords didn't require game audio, or concentration, so that would seem like a time for more active music than bgm. I recently finished Godzilla, and I couldn't have done it without music/podcasts holding more of my attention than the game, so I'm curious what you do for gaming situations like that.

Once the trophy bug's bitten you, there's no going back. ? As bigger releases started to shy away from Nintendo's consoles post-Wii, I felt like I needed to branch out to other platforms to avoid missing out. Cost was a serious issue too considering that Nintendo continues to charge a premium for their heavy-hitters while competitors like Sony regularly offer up their best games for a fraction of the cost in weekly or monthly sales. I'm not made of money and, back when there used to be monthly "Flash Sales" on PS3, my collection of games started to swing heavily in favor of Sony. Even so, I still think Nintendo's exclusives are the best in the industry, but I have to be much more selective since they're so expensive (I've been thinking of renting instead of buying since I rarely replay games nowadays anyway).

In cases where I'm grinding or playing simpler games, I don't usually play music, but I'll almost always mute the game and put on something from YouTube or Twitch to watch while I play. Something about the game + video combo feels so therapeutic, as though complete mental occupation has been achieved. I'm either trying to keep up with whatever's going on in the game or following along with a video, so I don't have much time for the negativity stewing in my mind to weigh me down. I've even been using this combo on regular games since it's such a great way to destress. Most recently, I played all of Ziggurat, Brawlout, JumpJet Rex, and my first playthrough of Windbound while binge-watching episodes of Good Mythical Morning (it can feel like old people TV sometimes, but hey, it's really addicting). Feeling blue? Why treat your problems the old-fashioned way? Overload your senses and forget your troubles!

On 1/7/2023 at 1:40 PM, dieselmanchild said:

One of the funniest ones I remember was when we were playing this Tank vs Tank game on our neighbour’s computer (I forget the name of it) with my middle brother. Neither of us were very good at it, but naturally I wanted to win and my brother was frustrating my natural efforts to do so. Somehow I convinced him to leave the room for a couple minutes, with the game running, while I prepared a “surprise” for him. I remember going in and destroying all his bases one by one with absolutely no resistance from his AFK tanks while he grew increasingly suspicious from the other room, all the while I was laughing so hard I almost peed my pants. He was not too pleased with me when he discovered what I had done lmao. 1f602.png

If you're playing by the rules as siblings, you're doing something wrong. ? 

Your story sent me straight back in time to when I got Battletanx on N64 from the tooth fairy. :P It's probably not the same game as the one you played on PC, but it involved tank vs tank combat much like you described with base defending and several unit classes to choose from. I don't remember any devious tricks I pulled back in the day, but me and my brother must sunk entire weeks into that game growing up. We used to build up massive teams alongside AI units, go for flashy long-range kills through fog-covered maps, and spent forever trying to find ways to outrun the game's nukes (spoilers, we never found a way to survive).

Edited by ExistentialSolid
  • Like 2