$1.99 in US PS Store

RinkuKulkan

https://store.playstation.com/es-mx/product/UP0006-CUSA05999_00-NFS1800000000001

Need for Speed Payback is just $1.99 in the US PS Store. Deal ends January 19th 2023.

For me, this is the best of the modern NSF games (excluding Unbound, cuz I haven't played it). The gameplay, story and mechanics are really enjoyable. The road to Platinum isn't as grindy, but a bit challenging.

In October 2020, this game was part of the PS Plus Essential free games. If you weren't able to nab it back then, I think is a good time to get it for this price.

• Like 2

Isn't the game heavily card/RNG based when it comes to vehicle upgrades and components? Main reason I never got it, even for basically free

As for Unbound and myself fondly missing Hot Pursuit 2 / Most Wanted, and recently found Rivals / Heat / NFS (2015) good - Unbound is utter trash

9 minutes ago, Valkirye22 said:

Isn't the game heavily card/RNG based when it comes to vehicle upgrades and components? Main reason I never got it, even for basically free

As for Unbound and myself fondly missing Hot Pursuit 2 / Most Wanted, and recently found Rivals / Heat / NFS (2015) good - Unbound is utter trash

Yup and worse, if u buy another car u have to get cards for it all over again. 

All four NFS franchise installments developed by Ghost Games have been discounted for only a few bucks each on the PS Store a few times over the months leading up to and following Need For Speed: Unbound's launch.

Also I must disagree with the OP on Payback. It's not a horrible open world arcade racer at all but far, far from being a great one.

Edited by Dry
Post 471, the same number of total posts on my first (retired) forum profile. Wow... o_o
  • Like 1

Still overpriced. One of the worst games I've played. The quality is so poor, it's like they got to about 70% and just thought ah that'll do. They couldn't even be bothered to put the characters in the cutscenes before races, and if you look at the cars in these cutscenes they aren't even on the ground, they are floating. It also has input lag which is bad for a racing game, I've never experienced input lag on a racing game before. I don't have a single good thing to say about it. 

28 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Still overpriced. One of the worst games I've played. The quality is so poor, it's like they got to about 70% and just thought ah that'll do. They couldn't even be bothered to put the characters in the cutscenes before races, and if you look at the cars in these cutscenes they aren't even on the ground, they are floating. It also has input lag which is bad for a racing game, I've never experienced input lag on a racing game before. I don't have a single good thing to say about it. 

I keep seeing people say this and I'm surprised each time. This is probably my second favorite NFS title, I enjoyed it a lot and was sad when I finally finished it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, RinkuKulkan said:

For me, this is the best of the modern NSF games (excluding Unbound, cuz I haven't played it). The gameplay, story and mechanics are really enjoyable. The road to Platinum isn't as grindy, but a bit challenging.

Interesting. I thought NFS Heat was the better game. :hmm:

16 hours ago, Dry said:

Also I must disagree with the OP on Payback. It's not a horrible open world arcade racer at all but far, far from being a great one.

I never said it was a great game. I said that out of the 3 modern NFS games, this is the best one. 

17 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

RNG based, yes. Heavily, no. I didn't liked that aspect of the game either, but you can move on through the game without dealing with the RNG. Buying better cars and using the legendaries is a better way to progress.

6 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Interesting. I thought NFS Heat was the better game. :hmm:

For me, Heat was close to beating Payback for the number 1 spot. Some driving mechanics, the longer grind and the reliance on meta cars didn't cut it for me. When playing Heat, I missed payback more. I definitely Platted that game too quickly.

Edited by RinkuKulkan
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, rayjenjoeryry_jr said:

the card thing isint like that anymore. you can just straight up buy parts

Did they change it since August 2022? When I played it, you could upgrade individual parts with the RNG, or pay a hefty sum of (in game) cash to upgrade all parts to a given level.

Either way, the RNG was not as bad as it is made out to be. Sure, it was frustrating and took longer than if you could pick and choose, but barely slowed progression at all. Certainly not a reason to not play the game.

• Like 1