Backlog by the Month Challenge 2023 (Sign-Ups Open!)

4 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Welcome to the event! Having things alphabetically is just so I can easily search through everyone's profiles on this site, you are not required to complete games in any order. Also, the month that you join the event is your 'safe month', you WILL NOT be penalized by not getting a game completed in this month.

Well, that's a thing. I shouldn't have put Disgaea 5 in my list as I'm close to completing it and it's not even the end of the month. xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlazzingWind said:

Since we are talking about removing a game. This will unfortunately have to wait until April to be removed.

I will make a note on my own list that you want it removed and remind you in April for your removal post.

Trying to keep everything fair based on the rules. I hope you understand.

of course, completely understand, its my own fault for not proof reading my post first. I've made a note on my phone for April too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Are you somehow looking through my huge backlog? o.o

inFamous has been a favorite series of mine since the first game on PS3 as the powers and characters were fantastic. My liking of it dropped off with Delsin and his story in Second Son, so I have had First Light forever, but haven't dived into it because Fetch as a character was just off-putting in Delsins' game.

Quite possible haha 

Unfortunately it wasn't a good side game but it was quick at least. I didn't like first blood either but the first 2 inFamous games is where they hit the spot with super powers and story progression 

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 0:43 AM, BlazzingWind said:

...another game I haven't heard of; you are really coming in strong.

I'm trying, thanks! Assuming you're referring to Gunlord, I actually finished it in essentially one sitting last night, which took just shy of 7 hours. Was a competent throwback to classic 90s run and gun games like Turrican and Contra, without being excessively punishing. 10 nicely designed, mostly non-linear stages to blast through, that throw in enough gameplay variety to prevent stagnation. While the platforming feels somewhat imprecise, and enemies definitely cheap shot you, checkpointing and continues are quite generous, so things never become frustrating. Fair boss design, too. It's not Valfaris quality or anything, but still far better than the budget price tag might lead one to expect. Always enjoy a good run 'n gun, and there simply aren't enough of them.

At a loss as to what I should play next, honestly. ? Any suggestions?

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 3

So what happens if I plat two games on my list in one month, do I fail automatically? I know you can't remove games until April or August, but can I add games? Otherwise, I will probably fail the challenge as I want to platinum two games on the list this week.

If this was already answered in the OP, I am terribly sorry. I need to remember to read those things. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I did read the OP, saw the rule saying you can add games at any time, you just can't remove them expect in the thirds of the year, my bad. Though I don't think Disgaea 5 qualifies for this list as it was already way over 33% when I added it(62%). So it doesn't count, right? ASAP.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Taruta13 said:

So what happens if I plat two games on my list in one month, do I fail automatically? I know you can't remove games until April or August, but can I add games? Otherwise, I will probably fail the challenge as I want to platinum two games on the list this week.

If this was already answered in the OP, I am terribly sorry. I need to remember to read those things. :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I did read the OP, saw the rule saying you can add games at any time, you just can't remove them expect in the thirds of the year, my bad. Though I don't think Disgaea 5 qualifies for this list as it was already way over 33% when I added it(62%). So it doesn't count, right? ASAP.

On your first post, 3 games can be over 33% on your list, so in this case, Disgaea 5 is perfectly fine

2 hours ago, StraightVege said:

I'm trying, thanks! Assuming you're referring to Gunlord, I actually finished it in essentially one sitting last night, which took just shy of 7 hours. Was a competent throwback to classic 90s run and gun games like Turrican and Contra, without being excessively punishing. 10 nicely designed, mostly non-linear stages to blast through, that throw in enough gameplay variety to prevent stagnation. While the platforming feels somewhat imprecise, and enemies definitely cheap shot you, checkpointing and continues are quite generous, so things never become frustrating. Fair boss design, too. It's not Valfaris quality or anything, but still far better than the budget price tag might lead one to expect. Always enjoy a good run 'n gun, and there simply aren't enough of them.

At a loss as to what I should play next, honestly. 1f914.png Any suggestions?

I found Kingdoms of Amalur really fun on the PS3 so the PS4 should be the same, it reminded me very strongly of Dragon Age Origins. I've heard Greedfall is long and hard, and I think Dead Cells is hard like Returnal. But I do not know if the world changes each time you die. Personally I am leaning more towards suggestion either RE3 (pretty short for an RE game), Kingdoms (long, but fun), or The Outer Worlds (from what I played, the campaign was pretty silly in the style of Borderlands). So it depends on how you are feeling for your next gaming venture.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, StraightVege said:

At a loss as to what I should play next, honestly. ? Any suggestions?

Your whole list I've not finished even one of those lol I've always wanted to be able to finish a Resident Evil but couldn't stomach speed runs and multiple playthroughs. Also had The Last Guardian in my backlog for some time so I'd suggest either of those 

• Like 3

Just now, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

Your whole list I've not finished even one of those lol I've always wanted to be able to finish a Resident Evil but couldn't stomach speed runs and multiple playthroughs. Also had The Last Guardian in my backlog for some time so I'd suggest either of those 

The only really problem I have seen mentioned for The Last Guardian is that it has a semi-speed run trophy needed for the plat that your AI campanion can just...ruin, for no reason. Also the no death run can be messed up again by your companion...so that game will be more a test of patience lol

• Like 2

I finished The Swapper and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge

I highly recommend The Swapper if anyone is at all interested in puzzle games. There are some collectibles which the trophies are linked to. They can be very difficult to find so I suggest finding a spoiler free guide for those. The story is great if you take the time to read the memory logs as you go.

I’m adding Hitman 2, Hitman 2 Additional Expansion and Fallout 76 (platinum only) to my list. I’m m hoping to get the Hitman levels done after I finish up Hitman 1. I’m less optimistic about finishing Fallout 76, but it’s been sat in my backlog forever with only one trophy, so I will try to get it done.

Congratulations everyone on beating down your backlogs, I’m running out of easy games so I think I’ll be slowing down now

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hurricane_Tanya said:

Congratulations everyone on beating down your backlogs, I’m running out of easy games so I think I’ll be slowing down now

Same for me, I need to slow down. I'm almost about to platinum Disgaea 5 so once that's done, I have plenty of stuff to crack on. ;)

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 0:43 AM, BlazzingWind said:

I apologize for not replying sooner! Awesome on getting 2 games done in the first month, that is a strong start. I got Bugsnax through ps+ and it kinda has fallen down a ways on the backlog. I am glad to hear that the gameplay isn't bad though, maybe if I get enough games done I can add it to my list this year...

No apologies necessary! We all have some type of life outside the forums! .. The best thing about Bugsnax is capturing the little creatures, some of the voice acting (Sam Riegel from Critical Role! voices a little oddball I absolutely adore), and the simple, quick trophy list. If any of that sounds appealing, I'd definitely add it to the list at some point. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

I found Kingdoms of Amalur really fun on the PS3 so the PS4 should be the same, it reminded me very strongly of Dragon Age Origins. I've heard Greedfall is long and hard, and I think Dead Cells is hard like Returnal. But I do not know if the world changes each time you die. Personally I am leaning more towards suggestion either RE3 (pretty short for an RE game), Kingdoms (long, but fun), or The Outer Worlds (from what I played, the campaign was pretty silly in the style of Borderlands). So it depends on how you are feeling for your next gaming venture.

Interesting; I picked up Amalur because it reminded me of a PC action RPG I liked (Fable), but if it actually has more in common with Dragon Age, I'm not terribly familiar with that series. Greedfall is definitely one I've been meaning to revisit as well, it's just the whole ordeal of remembering where I left off and relearning how to play it that discourages me.

I've heard that one can now customize Dead Cells to be a more straightforward experience, with the recently added accessibility options, so my intention is to go that route. Yeah, although the RE3 remake appears to be an abbreviated and inferior game versus the original, the thought of it being reimagined as a bombastic, Michael Bay sorta experience really amuses me, so I'll have to give it a try at some point.

Funny you mentioned The Outer Worlds, since I was seriously considering it for next month! Already perused a guide to get an outline of what to expect, actually. All very good suggestions, which I will keep in mind for the near future. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

11 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

The only really problem I have seen mentioned for The Last Guardian is that it has a semi-speed run trophy needed for the plat that your AI campanion can just...ruin, for no reason. Also the no death run can be messed up again by your companion...so that game will be more a test of patience lol

Oh, I've wanted to play The Last Guardian for the longest time! I'm a massive fan of everything Fumito Ueda and his development team do. Speedrun challenges I usually enjoy... it's the trophy "All Talked Out" for hearing every hint which worries me. Seems extremely finicky overall, and there's no way to properly track progress on them in-game. People still haven't figured out why certain hints don't trigger sometimes. One of the most daunting games on my list, I'd say, but I'll have to take the plunge eventually.

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 4

On 1/6/2023 at 0:52 PM, BlazzingWind said:

****DLC can be used for points under the following conditions:

1. The Platinum/100% has already been achieved at an earlier time and the dlc has been added to the main list later. OR dlc was never completed.

2. ALL DLC for the game listed (for example LEGO Dimensions) needs to be completed for it to count for the whole point if the game is being used as your point for the month.

3. Each game can only be used once during the event for DLC points. (For example, The Callisto Protocol is slated to get DLC in February/March and perhaps another one later on. If you select TCP and use it for a point on the first DLC pack, it cannot be used again during the event. Even if it does get more trophies through additional DLC. This is to keep the points as fair as possible)

I Have a question with the first point. Probably a dumb question, but what is the period of time considered as earlier?

For example, I'm gonna complete Sleeping Dogs that has 2 separated DLC, let's say I'll finish it this Friday. I can't finish the DLC that same day, because 1. I never added the DLC to the list of games 2. I will do the DLC right away after earning the platinum.

I got it correctly? Or I am missing something?

I don't have a lot of games with DLC, but if I have to add the DLC to the list, I should check which games have them

• Like 1

So completed Telling Lies today, as a big fan of Annapurna games this one has been on the backlog for a while but was a little disappointed overall. Didn't sets out to play it on a speedrun playthrough as I wanted to enjoy it but after an hour I decided to speed through it as it wasn't grabbing me. Won't put me off playing the other Annapurna games on my backlog like Stray and Last Stop.

1)Telling Lies (12%) Completed (1pt)

2)Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (13%)

3)Hot Wheels Unleashed (15%)

4)Last Stop (7%)

5)Escape Academy (0%)

6)Road 96 (0%)

7)Stray (0%)

8)Deliver Us The Moon (0%)

9)Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage (0%)

10)Far Cry 3 (0%)

11)Full Throttle (0%)

12)Man Eater (0%)

13)Batman: The Telltale Series (0%)

14)Hot Wheels Unleashed (15%) (removing in April)

15)Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales (44%)

16)Minecraft: Story Mode (20%)

17)Maquette (0%)

I will add Minecraft: Story Mode (20%) and Maquette (0%) to my list

• Like 3

On 1/25/2023 at 1:58 AM, BlazzingWind said:

Since we are talking about removing a game. This will unfortunately have to wait until April to be removed.

I will make a note on my own list that you want it removed and remind you in April for your removal post.

Trying to keep everything fair based on the rules. I hope you understand.

Thank you I appreciate it, and I understand. :)

PC side i'm playing through the Legend of Heroes games I finished Trails in the Sky FC and I am working on 100% Trails in the Sky SC, I'm trying to space these out in-between getting platinum's since they are releasing the complete series in English and now I don't have to work around missing out on story. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:15 AM, ChecoMayor said:

I Have a question with the first point. Probably a dumb question, but what is the period of time considered as earlier?

For example, I'm gonna complete Sleeping Dogs that has 2 separated DLC, let's say I'll finish it this Friday. I can't finish the DLC that same day, because 1. I never added the DLC to the list of games 2. I will do the DLC right away after earning the platinum.

I got it correctly? Or I am missing something?

I don't have a lot of games with DLC, but if I have to add the DLC to the list, I should check which games have them

Not a dumb question! And perhaps the point needs to be reworked to be clearer.

Pretty much, for the purpose of this event, unless you specifically say you are doing DLC separately I consider it part of your game list. However, this is YOUR game we are talking about. If a game has 3 DLC's and you only have 1 of them and don't plan to get the others; that is okay. Just let me know when the game is 'complete' for you. This also means that once you say you are done with a game, it cannot be used in the event for this year again. This is, again, to keep points as fair as possible.

Grim Fandango Remastered 84%
Valiant Hearts: The Great War 80%
Life Is Strange 80%
Unpacking 28%
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 32%
inFAMOUS First Light 30%
forma.8 16%
Spy Chameleon 16%
Please Don't Touch Anything 7%
Minefield 9%
Yooka-Laylee 7%
Octodad: Dadliest Catch 10%

I think this fits the criteria, but if not give me a shout.

• Like 3

Immortals Fenyx Rising 64% :platinum: DLC (Not Started) 

Cat Quest (100%) :platinum:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX (100%)  :platinum:

inFamous: First Light (100%) :platinum:

1. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (19%)

2. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (4%)

3. Warhammer: Chaosbane (7%)

4. Assassin's Creed Origins (19%)

5. Vampyr (1%)

6. Final Fantasy XIII (60%)

7. Monster Hunter World (71%)

8. Saints Row IV (10%)

9. Batman: Arkham City (43%) 

10. Sackboy: A Big Adventure (17%) 

11. LEGO DC Super-Villains (Not Started) 

12. Super Time Force Ultra (28%) 

13. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Remastered (4%) 

14. Fallout 3 (4%) 

15. Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince (20%) 

16. Metro Exodus (3%) 

Added Metro Exodus to my list as it's leaving PS Plus the end of February 

• Like 2

Got the plat for tlou part 1 yesterday. Easy but frustrating cause of the way the game saves so I had to keep reloading old saves to see what chapter I needed to find collectibles in. 

Up to 60% of jedi done too. Every planet but one is at 90% explored so I could probably bang that out this month too!

• Like 2

This looks like a lot of fun and I'd like to sign up, below is my starter list.

Sorry if this has been asked already but I couldn't find an answer, in April and August is the limit for adding games over 33% also 3 per time you change the list or is it only three games the whole event?

Active Neurons 2 - 29%

Ape Escape - 57%

Bleed - 0%

Catherine: Full Body - 88%

Deadbolt - 0%

Death Squared - 0%

Demon's Souls (PS3) - 1% (Will be played over two months after PS5 version)

Demon's Souls (PS5) - 62%

Dirt 5 - 13%

Disco Elysium - 0%

Full Throttle - 0%

God of War Chains of Olympus - 24%

God of War: Ragnarok - 21%

Hot Wheel: Unleashed - 11%

L A Noire - 20%

Prototype (PS4) - 0%

Rogue Legacy - 11%

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 0%

Sifu - 0%

Unravel 2 - 0%

Wuppo - 1%

Zero Time Dilemma - 14%

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ode2Destruxion said:

Grim Fandango Remastered 84%
Valiant Hearts: The Great War 80%
Life Is Strange 80%
Unpacking 28%
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart 32%
inFAMOUS First Light 30%
forma.8 16%
Spy Chameleon 16%
Please Don't Touch Anything 7%
Minefield 9%
Yooka-Laylee 7%
Octodad: Dadliest Catch 10%

I think this fits the criteria, but if not give me a shout.

Welcome to the event! Your games are fine and I will be adding you to the main list when I am able to.

12 hours ago, seannyboy913 said:

This looks like a lot of fun and I'd like to sign up, below is my starter list.

Sorry if this has been asked already but I couldn't find an answer, in April and August is the limit for adding games over 33% also 3 per time you change the list or is it only three games the whole event?

Active Neurons 2 - 29%

Ape Escape - 57%

Bleed - 0%

Catherine: Full Body - 88%

Deadbolt - 0%

Death Squared - 0%

Demon's Souls (PS3) - 1% (Will be played over two months after PS5 version)

Demon's Souls (PS5) - 62%

Dirt 5 - 13%

Disco Elysium - 0%

Full Throttle - 0%

God of War Chains of Olympus - 24%

God of War: Ragnarok - 21%

Hot Wheel: Unleashed - 11%

L A Noire - 20%

Prototype (PS4) - 0%

Rogue Legacy - 11%

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 0%

Sifu - 0%

Unravel 2 - 0%

Wuppo - 1%

Zero Time Dilemma - 14%

Glad to have you onboard!

I need to look at the first post because I thought it was in there, but April and August are when you can add games above the 33% threshold. As of right now, there is no additional rule or limit. If problems arise, I will retake a look at it.

But in essence, April and August are special months where you can add any % games to your list.

Just making a quick post to add Shu to my list. For only $4, it looks to be a quality platformer focused on gliding and collectibles, with a pleasing cartoonish art style. I also find it adorable that the little birds you rescue are referred to as "Babbies." ?

• Like 2

Posting to confirm that I FINALLY got my January plat - Legend of Mana

It was a nice, relaxing game without much of a story. It seemed to be more a collection of quests that you could do whenever and however you wanted, although doing certain things locked you out of certain quests. So a guide was definitely needed. The only frustrating thing was the 'grow all vegetables' trophy, and having to keep reading the catus' diary after every single quest (there are 67 of them!)

I might have time to get one more game done this month, but we will see. I will add @Ode2Destruxion and @seannyboy913 to the main list later today!

• Like 3

On 1/24/2023 at 2:43 AM, BlazzingWind said:

Congrats on another game completed! Going back to games and finding I don't like them anymore I think is a universal fear. Like I played the heck out of FF1, 2, and 4 so I am really excited for the pixel remaster. However, it has been years since I have played them and after the graphics of Xiii, 7 remake, and crisis core; will my nostalgia hold up to diving back into the classics?

Well, the Pixel Remasters are coming out all at once for the PS4 in the future, if box art is to be believed. I am just concerned that there is only one box so it could be a 'legacy collection' game where you pick the game from an in-game menu, and that would mean that the trophy list would be a large list involving playing all of the games, and there are some games I'm not eager to go back to, like Final Fantasy VI. (Don't judge me but I dread seeing the cackling Kefka again. :()

If all of the games have their own platinum, I would definitely pick Final Fantasy III because I really think that game deserved better than it got from the 3D DS remake.

Got the platinum in Disgaea 5 but not sure if I want to continue or withdraw from the challenge. I will have to complete some of these games for other challenges, but not sure if I am ready to play Persona 4 Golden yet and a month of time is a bit of a tight window.

On 1/24/2023 at 2:47 PM, Taruta13 said:
  • Ape Escape (PS5)
  • LEGO Avengers (PS4)
  • Disgaea 4+ Complete
  • Disgaea 5
  • World of Final Fantasy
  • Dragon Quest XI S
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Ni No Kuni Remastered
  • Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories
  • Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age