Backlog by the Month Challenge 2023 (Sign-Ups Open!)

Officially added @Ode2Destruxion and @seannyboy913 to the leaderboard!

I updated the leaderboard as well and there has been some shuffling of placements with @Hurricane_Tanya pushing further ahead with 4.0 points heading to the last days of January.

@StraightVege holds onto 2nd place but @Hitman_Spinksy1 has them tied.

@be_minor securing 3rd place with a sneak completion of Pinball Heroes!

Congrats to Ode2Destruxion on your plat for January :D

A few more people (including myself) secured a place on the leaderboard.

@grumpaluffagus_1 I saw that you got the plat for Marvel's Spider-Man and didn't touch the DLC, is this game 'done' for you? If so, I will add your point for the month. Just need verification from ya first.

12 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

-snip- and there are some games I'm not eager to go back to, like Final Fantasy VI. (Don't judge me but I dread seeing the cackling Kefka again. :()

If all of the games have their own platinum, I would definitely pick Final Fantasy III because I really think that game deserved better than it got from the 3D DS remake.

Got the platinum in Disgaea 5 but not sure if I want to continue or withdraw from the challenge. -snip-

Fun fact* Final Fantasy VI is STILL the only final fantasy (Besides Tactics...but that is another story altogether) where I have not made it past probably the first two hours of gameplay. Which is why I am hoping that each game has it's own platinum, or completion list in the same vein that Mass Effect legendary edition did.

Although if I had to pick, FF5 is probably the one I don't want to return to as they could add a ridiculous 'max all job classes' for one of the trophies.

If you wanted to 'leave' the leaderboard but still be a part of the event and discuss your games, that is perfectly fine. I could even keep tracking your games without the point values, if that would work for you. Again, this event is supposed to be fun and however you would like to be included, I will work with ya on.

*Edit: Made the rules for April and August a bit clearer in the OP - could someone read it and make sure that everything makes sense?

Thank you in advance!

Edited by BlazzingWind
  • Like 2

Sign me up! This sounds like fun. I've got a few started games on my list to finish up and then focus on my VR backlog! I'll hopefully be adding more games in the future/using some higher %age games come April. 

My list:

1. Hitman Contracts (11%)
  2. Super Stardust HD (30%)
  3. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered (17%)
  4. Malicious (30%)
  5. Lego Harry Potter 1-4 (PS4) (5%)
  6. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (0%)
  7. Astro Bot Rescue Mission (0%)
  8. Here They Lie (0%)
  9. The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners (0%)
  10. Paper Beast (0%)
  11. Moss (0%)
  12. Thumper (0%)
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, KillerUni12 said:

Sign me up! This sounds like fun. I've got a few started games on my list to finish up and then focus on my VR backlog! I'll hopefully be adding more games in the future/using some higher %age games come April. 

My list:

4. Malicious (30%)
  8. Here They Lie (0%)
  10. Paper Beast (0%)
  11. Moss (0%)
  12. Thumper (0%)

You've been added, welcome aboard!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

If you wanted to 'leave' the leaderboard but still be a part of the event and discuss your games, that is perfectly fine. I could even keep tracking your games without the point values, if that would work for you. Again, this event is supposed to be fun and however you would like to be included, I will work with ya on.

I never knew I was on a leaderboard. I can work with this, I am working to try to get work done on my games, I did manage to put Ape Escape on February as I put it as part of my Casual Gaming list. Thanks.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 10:20 PM, KillerUni12 said:

My list:

4. Malicious (30%)
  8. Here They Lie (0%)
  10. Paper Beast (0%)
  11. Moss (0%)
  12. Thumper (0%)

Adding What Remains of Edith Finch (PS4) so I can snag the January point. No way I'll have the time to finish the original 12 in the next 2 days. 

EDIT: Completed What Remains of Edith Finch, fun game! Very sad though.

Edited by KillerUni12
Completed game
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2023 at 9:30 PM, BlazzingWind said:

@grumpaluffagus_1 I saw that you got the plat for Marvel's Spider-Man and didn't touch the DLC, is this game 'done' for you? If so, I will add your point for the month. Just need verification from ya first.

Completely forgot to post about it, but that game is done as my January game. I might do the DLC at some point in the future, but definitely not right now. Also, hoping to sneak Biomutant into this month as well, just have to find the motivation to finish hunting all the critters. RNG collectibles sure are brutal.

• Like 1

Managed to sneak a completion in for January, finished demon souls for the PS5. Had a ton of fun completing the remake after having given up on the original a decade ago, even having to replay most of it in NG+ was great now that I had more experience, higher stats and better equipment to fly through the bosses with.

Active Neurons 2 - 29%

Ape Escape - 57%

Bleed - 0%

Catherine: Full Body - 88%

Deadbolt - 0%

Death Squared - 0%

Demon's Souls (PS3) - 1% (Will be played over two months after PS5 version)

Demon's Souls (PS5) - 62%  :platinum: January 29th, 2023

Dirt 5 - 13%

Disco Elysium - 0%

Full Throttle - 0%

God of War Chains of Olympus - 24%

God of War: Ragnarok - 21%

Hot Wheel: Unleashed - 11%

L A Noire - 20%

Prototype (PS4) - 0%

Rogue Legacy - 11%

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - 0%

Sifu - 0%

Unravel 2 - 0%

Wuppo - 1%

Zero Time Dilemma - 14%

• Like 2

@BlazzingWind, I'm sorry, but I am going to have to withdraw from this event. I have a few LEGO games on there that I want to get off my backlog ASAP and I can't do that if I have to wait a month for each title. It's not you, it's me, I should have only put my RPGs on this list instead of games that are easy and quick, and since I can't remove any, I would probably fail the challenge as I'd burn through three months of games. I am participating in some other challenges as well. I wish anyone who is participating this the best of luck. ;)

EDIT: I might stick around if I run out of games, I have a few that will take months to do, but I will probably platinum multiple games in February.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

@BlazzingWind, I'm sorry, but I am going to have to withdraw from this event. I have a few LEGO games on there that I want to get off my backlog ASAP and I can't do that if I have to wait a month for each title. It's not you, it's me, I should have only put my RPGs on this list instead of games that are easy and quick, and since I can't remove any, I would probably fail the challenge as I'd burn through three months of games. I am participating in some other challenges as well. I wish anyone who is participating this the best of luck. ;)

You can do more than 1 game a month. I did 7. You just need to do at least 1 game on your list each month

• Like 1

Haven't updated in a bit! Finished the Serious Sam Collection a few days ago, which has occupied me for much of the last few weeks. All very fun games; I hadn't finished TSE before, so it was fun to finally get to play through it, and it was nice returning to BFE and TFE as well. Although the DLC was quite underwhelming all in all. All in all, fantastic set of classic FPS games, just a shame I had to buy the German version since they haven't bothered fixing the US version's trophies yet (despite sharing the same list.)

Besides that, made some small progress in Grid and started playing through the campaign again now that I have my Spotify subscription back to make up for its lack of in game music. At 3.5k of 25k miles. We'll get there eventually.

Also played a few more sessions of BoxVR - getting to the point where I don't end up too sore to do any exercise for several days after, but it's a strenuous ass game. No trophy progress yet, although I have cleared another class with no missed hits. Haven't really been doing too much VR lately although hopefully that changes soon - planning to buy an aim controller next month which will massively improve the experience of my VR shooter games, hopefully, so I've been waiting for that & my VR friend group to reconverge.

Also started Prodeus with a friend. We're not going to platinum the game together but I want to finish our playthrough before we platinum it, but it doesn't look too hard so it should be done within a week or two.

Also, I can add games at any time under the 50 limit, correct? In that case I'd like to add BPM and Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem since I'm definitely planning on playing through them in the near future. Siberian Mayhem is currently unobtainable, however the developers have stated there's a patch in the works for it so I expect to be able to platinum it before the year ends. Additionally I'm going to start putting the month before games in my completed games section to make counting points easier on you.

Backlog Games:

Spoiler

IN PROGRESS (9/50)

BoxVR - 45%

Shadow Point - 13%

Evil Dead: The Game - 9%

GRID - 8%

Lucky's Tale - 12%

Along Together - 34%

After The Fall - 41%

Chromagun VR - 3%

Prodeus - 37%

FINISHED (1/50)

(January) Moss - 100%

(January) Serious Sam 4 - 100%

(January) Serious Sam Collection - 100%

NOT STARTED (40/50)

Curse of the Dead Gods - 21%

Powerslave Exhumed - 12%

Stray - 4%

Manifold Garden - 20%

Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - 5%

Pixel Ripped 1995 - 10%

Megaquarium - 0%

Creed: Rise to Glory - 0%

Cat Quest - 0%

Cat Quest 2 - 0%

Foreclosed - 0%

Forgotton Anne - 8%

Fracked - 1%

Groundhog Day: like father like son - 0%

Hero Land - 0%

Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! - 0%

KeyWe - 0%

Iris.Fall - 0%

Time Carnage - 0%

Neon City Riders - 0%

Mythic Ocean - 0%

Paper Beast - 3%

Paradise Killer - 0%

Rainbow Billy: The Curse of the Leviathan - 0%

Shady Part of Me - 0%

Silence - 0%

Spiritfarer - 0%

Subnautica - 13%

Table of Tales: The Crooked Crown - 0%

The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - 11%

The Town of Light - 0%

Mundaun - 0%

XING: The Land Beyond - 0%

Felix The reaper - 4%

Falcon Age - 28%

Wanderer - 0%

The Walking Dead Onslaught - 0%

Super Daryl Deluxe - 0%

Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem - 4%

BPM: Bullets Per Minute - 0%

• Like 1

It was only about a week ago that I decided to start clearing some of my backlog as I have been trophy hunting for the last few years but only completing the lists of new games that I bought, which I just figured is a waste of money when I've got plenty of good ones to go at. I have 100% on 101 games but have played 282 so a good amount to go at!

My January trophy hunting looks like this: Inscryption (started on 31st December) and moon platinums from 0%, and Day of the Tentacle Remastered from 90%. I found this thread late though so none of them counted. I got Valiant Hearts: The Great War to 100% completion for this challenge and made good progress on Grim Fandango Remastered (@ 85%) and Skylanders SuperChargers (@89% but not part of the challenge).

I'll probably be completing a lot more games than will count here as I already had quite a few over 33% that I couldn't add but I'm enjoying going back to playing games that I loved but I classed as completed as I wasn't interested in the trophies in at the time.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hurricane_Tanya said:

On your list there’s only one Lego game at the moment, so if you’re planning on doing a few of them you might want to add them to your list so they count

Actually, I plan on putting in more long games, here is my goal for each month with some additions which I put in italics.

February(starting in a few hours): Ape Escape (PS5), LEGO Avengers (PS4)

March: World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories*

April: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD*

May: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix, Persona 3 Portable

June: Hogwarts Legacy (PS5)**, Ni No Kuni Remastered

July: Disgaea 4+ Complete

August: Rogue Galaxy

September: Dragon Quest XI S

October: Persona 4 Golden (PS4)

November: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

December: Persona 4 Golden (Vita)

* I'm going to be going to Disneyworld around that time so I can steep myself in Disney's Magic Kingdom so I can get pumped to do the annoying cleanup after I clear the stories. Also, I'm middle-aged so I need to do something big and expensive in my life before I die. :P

** To celebrate JK Rowling's release months for the first and last Harry Potter books, I'll be holding on playing this game even though I will buy it at release date until June. ;)

In fact, I might make World of Final Fantasy my 100th platinum unless I get crazy with indie titles since I am at 90 platinums already.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Taruta13 said:

In fact, I might make World of Final Fantasy my 100th platinum unless I get crazy with indie titles since I am at 90 platinums already.

I definitely wouldn't associate indie with quick and easy (unless you choose the tap X ones). A lot of my plats are indie and some of them have been the longest and most challenging but satisfying platinums I have. I still look back proudly at some of them!

I have one tap X (or whatever you want to call it) game on my list that I bought just to test the store was working and I regret platting it every time I see it.

• Like 1

@BlazzingWind I'd like to throw my hat in the ring, and join this challenge, please. I know I missed January. But, there's still most of the year to go, and honestly, my backlog is my focus this year (and bringing up my completion percentage as a result). I'll be starting with a list of 35 games. But, it's far more manageable than it looks because a lot of them are 100% games that I really need to get to. I don't know if I'll be able to catch up to the great start everyone has had. But, honestly, just getting some of these completed will be a help anyway. :) I may add more later, and I'm sure I will be taking advantage of the removal month in April. But, something's got to hold me accountable. I'll do a general list format now, and use a table format in later updates so that it's easier to keep track of things.

Starting List (Joined: February 2023):

1. Singstar (81%)

2. SoulCalibur V (78%)

3. HITMAN (2016) (55%) (DLC Packs 3-7 still need to be finished)

4. HITMAN 2 (2018) (13%) (Base Game & DLC Packs 1-15 still need to be finished)

5. HITMAN 2 (2018) - Additional Expansions (2%) (DLC Packs 1-3 still need to be finished)

6. Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms (12%)

7. Ninja Gaiden Σ Plus (7%)

8. Tales of Symphonia (7%)

9. Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (0%)

10. 3D Dot Game Heroes (5%)

11. Star Ocean: The Last Hope (International) (1%)

12. Yoku's Island Express (0%)

13. Stacking (3%) (DLC included)

14. Layers of Fear (12%) (DLC included)

15. Last Day of June (0%)

16. Observation (0%)

17. Love Live! School Idol Festival ~after school activity~ Wai-Wai!Home Meeting!! (23%)

18. The Secret of Monkey Island (4%)

19. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge (4%)

20. Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 (0%)

21. Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 2 (0%)

22. Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 3 (0%)

23. Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 4 (0%)

24. Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 5 (0%)

25. SBCG4AP - Episode 1 (0%)

26. SBCG4AP - Episode 2 (0%)

27. SBCG4AP - Episode 3 (0%)

28. SBCG4AP - Episode 4 (0%)

29. SBCG4AP - Episode 5 (0%)

30. Punch Line (28%)

31. Jet Set Radio (0%)

32. Closure (14%)

33. The Council (0%)

34. Penny Arcade Adventures - Episode 1 (4%)

35. Penny Arcade Adventures - Episode 2 (0%)

• Like 2

On 1/9/2023 at 4:21 AM, ChecoMayor said:

Yaaaay! The event is back haha

I'm totally in, again, hopefully I can finish the entire list or at least get 1 plat per month, so here is my totally "new" list:

1. WWE Battlegrounds

2. Sleeping Dogs

3. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

4. LEGO Dimensions

5. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes 

6. PacMan World RePac

7. Yakuza 3

8. LEGO City Undercover

9. LEGO Lord of the Rings

10. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

11. South Park Stick of Truth

12. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception 

13. Detroit Become Human

I will be going for Multiversus Plat on PS5, but I can wait a few months to start it (if the game doesn't die?) the grind of 500 matches exhausted me

Edit because I put Detroit on the list but is at 38% so, I swapped it with Metal Gear

Edit 2 re added Detroit because I'm a moron that didn't red the first post 

I managed to plat Sleeping Dogs on time.

It was a surprisingly fun and good game, nothing to envy at the GTA series (probably the shooting mechanics and driving). Short story, a lot of collectibles but are fun to collect and the game shows you (after specific missions) where they are, so is a 10/10 for people who wants to collect things and get rewards, actual rewards that feel fulfilling.

I'm missing the DLC, but it will be completed probably on March or at the end of February 

My upcoming February would be a little bit inconsistent so I will try to rush Battlegrounds and probably Lego Undercover or another Lego game. I should try to go for Detroit plat but Thinking about replaying the entire game again with a guide next to me, makes me tired of the idea lol

List of Games 

1. WWE Battlegrounds

2. LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

3. LEGO Dimensions

4. Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes 

5. PacMan World RePac

6. Yakuza 3

7. LEGO City Undercover

8. LEGO Lord of the Rings

9. LEGO Marvel Super Heroes

10. South Park Stick of Truth

11. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception 

12. Detroit Become Human

I guess I should add the DLC as something I would finish next as a separate thing

Added

13. Sleeping Dogs DLC (Nightmare on North point/ Year of the Snake)

14. Lego Batman 3

15. Lego Batman 3 DLC (Like 6 separate lists)

Completed Games

January

1. Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (30/01/2023(sorry States))

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChecoMayor said:

I should try to go for Detroit plat but Thinking about replaying the entire game again with a guide next to me, makes me tired of the idea lol

I’ve had Detroit in my backlog for so long now and feel the same way, plus I think I need 2 playthroughs again but it always gets suggested to me and the idea always drains my soul haha 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Taruta13 said:

February: Ape Escape (PS5), LEGO Avengers (PS4)

March: World of Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories

April: Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD

May: Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix, Persona 3 Portable

June: Hogwarts Legacy (PS5), Ni No Kuni Remastered

July: Disgaea 4+ Complete

August: Rogue Galaxy

September: Dragon Quest XI S

October: Persona 4 Golden (PS4)

November: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age

December: Persona 4 Golden (Vita)

So I already finished one part of February's quota, so I just need to get started in LEGO Avengers... which is iffy as I'm playing through story of LEGO Marvel Superheroes. xD

I put all of the RPGs later in the year because it will take me a month to get close to the platinum for these guys but I do intend to work on World of Final Fantasy this month and next.

Edited by Taruta13
  • Like 1

Count me in, this looks like fun. Wish I would have started in Jan, but better now than later.

Elden Ring - 25% Completed

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot - 21% Completed

The Outer Worlds - 4% Completed

Dragon Quest Builders - 3% Completed

Star Ocean: The Divine Force - 26% Completed

Rogue Galaxy - 5% Completed

Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires - 21% Completed

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom - 13% Completed

Mount & Blade: Warband - 68% Completed

Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age - 14% Completed

Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales - 30% Completed

Rust - 17% Completed

LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga - 12% Completed

Dying Light 2: Stay Human - 14% Completed

Spyro the Dragon - 33% Completed

Subnautica: Below Zero - 20% Completed

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition - 23% Completed

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory - 30% Completed

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth - 55% Completed

Outward - 8% Completed

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered - 69% Completed

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BlazzingWind said:

Glad you had an enjoyable experience with the Serious Sam games! Usually when you have a collection there is one random game in the set that just isn't up to the par of the others for one reason or the other, but it looks like this is the exception.

The grind is real but I'm positive that you can get it done, just attack that mountain one step at a time, which ya are already doing. Also, major props to you on committing to a game that is a secret workout! I know I couldn't do that

Yes, you can add games (up to 50) at any time of the year, provided they are at 33% completion or under. I will update your list to include those 2 games as well, hopefully that patch comes out soon and the developers don't drag their heels. *Much appreciated!*

Yeah, one of the DLCs was pretty terrible (pretty much a cash grab made up of repurposed alpha levels) but luckily it only took 1-2 hours to complete. The actual games are all fun as hell. Siberian Mayhem's pretty great so far too, it's apparently made by a team of popular community modders that Devolver Digital hired to make a standalone expansion. I think it's pretty cool that they got that opportunity and managed to make something good with it, too.

And yeah, I've been using PSVR games as a way to motivate myself to workout more - there's quite a few that can actually provide intense workouts, e.g. Pistol Whip and BoxVR (and Beat Saber on high difficulties, though it mostly only engages your arms.) I'm considering stacking BoxVR if I run out of workout games, although I doubt that'll be an issue anytime soon as I have several lined up, and the nature of workout games means you can't exactly rush through them...

• Like 1