PlayStation Classics Issues

jefXfree
Message added by BlindMango,

Please be courteous & understanding when giving feedback for PlayStation Classics. It takes time to process the feedback you give and some fixes may take longer to sort out than others. Please avoid requests for new games and trophy lists as this thread is purely for feedback on existing games.

If you report a bug, please provide the following

• PSP: System Language
  • PS1: NTSC or PAL -- If PAL, which system language (NTSC is the default)

Not sure if this has been reported yet. In jak and daxter precursor legacy, I noticed the explosion sound was clipping, resulting in it being very loud and sudden. This was a rare occurance, it only happened once. I played on ps5. 

Another one, on pinball heroes (ps4 version) the ball would bounce on the plunger weirdly when left alone. In other words, if you start a level and leave it as it is without pressing anything, the ball would jitter weirdly. This made the 'Take the plunge' trophy a bit annoying to earn as you had to time the weird jitter bounce. This was not an issue on the ps5 version. I played both versions on a ps5

• Like 2

13 hours ago, TheSwordUserYT said:

I appreciate the attention you show to these issues.

Legend of Dragoon has been tough to emulate without issues two decades ago. Plenty of places people softlocked at, there were special fixes related to XA and screen transitions in ePSXe back in the day. Found a topic from 2001 that mentioned that none of existing emulators at a time could pass certain point in disc 4, though this game was relatively fresh back then.
Then there are people that get softlocked after certain boss battles even when playing on PS2.

User in other thread suggest it might have something to do with anti-piracy measures baked into the code.

As for audio bug, there's a workaround suggested by reddit user. If you get audio cut-off after playing for a while, change audio settings from Stereo to Mono, if it fixes it, try changing it back. Otherwise you will need to save at save point and reset the game.

Same post also mentions freeze glitch related to transformations (can't transfer back to normal form after turns are used up). The suggestion is to change transformations to short in options. I didn't test this yet as I have yet even to reach Town of Hoax myself, but it's worth a try. It may not have anything to do with Astral Drain softlock though.

I hope your team will manage to fix these issues soon, this game is a beloved classic and it deserves better.

I just tested short transforms, all Dragoon magic regardless still soft locks (most of the time); No Astral Drain with one target only as an example.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, outlawful said:

I've done some testing of The Legend of Dragoon softlock issue. I may not have the terminology right but it seems to be a sort of memory overflow issue. I've reloaded in game saves as well as using rewind and emulator saves. The issue is most common with dragoon transformations but if you intentionally overflow the memory, the game will freeze even when just trying to use an item. Specifically, I was using the Emporor Doel boss fight as a test. After a power cycle of my ps5, I can go into dragoon transformations for the whole team and use about 5 magic abilities before the soft lock starts happening. If I rewind, and only use 4 magic abilities and a regular attack, I can get maybe one or 2 attacks in before another softlock. If I rewind this time, I can't even use an item. It seems the more graphically intense an action is, the more it adds to the overflow, with dragoon transformations being the worst. (team members vary on when the soft lock happens but it ultimately doesn't matter. All will softlock the game.)

As a side note. This seems to be the origin of the audio issues as well. After a fresh power cycle, I have no audio issues but they always precede a softlock. 

I dont know if this is possible but a simple fix would be to increase the memory cache or have a memory cache dump on loading screens to keep the overflow from happening, although that wouldn't solve the problem for longer fights.

Very specific details:

Config:

Vibration: Off

Transformation: Short

Sound: Mono

No Power Cycle

Battle:

Turn 1: Albert, Rod Typhoon

Turn 2: Dart, Crush Dance

Turn 3: Rose, More & More

Turn 4: Doel, Scream Bullet

Turn 5: Rose, More & More

Turn 6: Doel, Double Sword

Turn 7: Dart, Crush Dance

Doel Transform

Turn 8: Albert, Transform/ Rose Storm

Turn 9: Rose, Transform

Softlock pre Rose Transformation

Config:

After Power Cycle

Battle:

Turn 1: Dart, Crush Dance

Turn 2: Albert, Rod Typhoon

Turn 3: Doel, Double Sword

Turn 4: Rose, More & More

Turn 5: Doel, Double Sword

Turn 6: Dart, Crush Dance

Turn 7: Rose, More & More

-Doel Transformation-

Turn 8: Albert, Rod Typhoon

Turn 9: Dart, Special/Final Burst

Turn 10: D Rose, Astral Drain

Turn 11: D Doel, Judgement Storm

Turn 12: D Albert, Rose Storm

Turn 13: D Rose, Astral Drain

Turn 14: D Dart, Final Burst

Turn 15: D Doel, Barrier

Turn 16: D Albert, Rose Storm

Softlock mid Albert Transformation

Rewind 18

Turn 16: D Albert, D-Attack

Softlock mid Albert Transformation

Rewind 35

Turn 14: D Dart, D-Attack

Turn 16: D Albert, D-Attack

Softlock pre Albert Transformation

Rewind 50

Turn 13: D Rose, D-Attack

Turn 16: D Albert, D-Attack/Transform

Turn 17: D Rose, Astral Drain

Softlock pre Rose Transformation

Rewind 18

Turn 17: D-Rose, D-Attack

Softlock pre Rose Transformation

Rewind 60

Turn 12: D Albert, D-Attack

Turn 13: D Rose, D-Attack

Turn 16: D Albert, D-Attack/Transform

Turn 17: D Doel, Thunder Magic

Turn 18: D Rose, D-Attack/Transform

Turn 19: D Dart, D-Attack

Game crash mid D-Attack

Config:

After Power Cycle

Battle:

Turn 1: Rose, More & More

Turn 2: Dart, Crush Dance

Turn 3: Doel, Double Sword

Turn 4: Albert, Rod Typhoon

Turn 5: Doel, Scream Bullet

Turn 6: Rose, More & More

Turn 7: Dart, Crush Dance

Doel Transform

Turn 8: Albert, Transform/Rose Storm

Turn 9: Rose, Transform

Rewind 5

Turn 9: Rose, More & More

Turn 10: D Doel, Judgement Storm

Turn 11: Dart, Transform

Softlock pre Dart Transformation 

Rewind 4

Turn 11: Dart, Crush Dance

Turn 12: Rose, More & More

Turn 13: D Albert, D-Attack 

Rewind 46

Turn 8: Albert, Special/Rose Storm

Turn 9: D Rose, Astral Drain

Turn 11: D Dart, Final Burst

Turn 12: D Rose, Astral Drain

Turn 13: D Albert, D-Attack/Transform

Turn 14: D Doel, Charge Burst

Turn 15: D Dart, Final Burst

Turn 16: D Rose, Astral Drain/Transform

Rewind 18

Turn 16: D Rose, D-Attack/Transform

Rewind 30

Turn 15: D Dart, D-Attack 

Rewind 38

Turn 12: D Rose, D-Attack

Turn 14: D Doel, Charge Burst

Turn 15: D Dart, D-Attack 

Rewind 37

Turn 11: D Dart, D-Attack 

Turn 12: D Rose, D-Attack

Softlock post Albert Transformation

Rewind idk, a lot

Turn 8: Albert, Transform/Rose Storm

Turn 9: Rose More & More

Turn 11: Dart, Crush Dance

Turn 12: Rose, More & More

Turn 13: D Albert, D-Attack 

Rewind a bit

Turn 13: D Albert, Rose Storm

Softlock post Albert Transformation

Rewind a bit

Turn 13: D Albert, Wing Blaster

I gave up at this point

Turn your system completely off. Do not just put it to sleep. Wait about 5 min and turn it back on. Audio will be fixed for about 1 to 2 hours of gameplay. But you'll have to repeat this every time it reoccurs.

Made my first youtube video's posting recordings of these issues.

Difficult to platinum when i have to dance around the game using the rewind issue, cept for this time where the last option left a crash.

• Like 3

Hi @jefXfree

I couldn't see this posted, but it seems that the recent patch for Jumping Flash! which added the trophies introduced some visual glitches on the in-game HUD which were not present in the original pre-patch release. They appear in both the PAL and NTSC versions.

The following screenshot shows this - in the areas highlighted red are vertical and horizontal lines which shouldn't be there; they persist in the same position as you move around.

GXkahnz.png

Wild Arms 2 is now showing as free for me so that’s a relief.

As for a couple more bugs I’ve ran across one is that the “View Product” link on Harvest Moon doesn’t connect the game with its store page when attempting it from the home menu. Just throws a WS-118721-0 error stating “Can’t find what you’re looking for.”

As for the other bug it’s with the Rags to Riches trophy in Legend of Dragoon. I managed to reach over 7000G after a battle but the trophy itself wouldn’t pop until I went to any shop and sold one item. Not sure if that’s an actual bug or just how it was programmed to trigger but I figured it was worth mentioning.

This run of LoD is quickly becoming a no transformation run due to the all the soft locks I’ve hit after using dragoons in battle. Made fighting Jiango pretty rough but it’s definitely given me a different perspective on the game.

Edited by MeatyMuffin

3 hours ago, jefXfree said:

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your bug reports. I can't comment on anything except to say that I've passed everything along to the engineering team and we're working on fixing the issues listed here, and elsewhere on the internet.

Thank you jefXfree. In want to share my bugs with Dragoon magic. If I use a magic, the next turn never start and the characters don't do nothing, BUT if you win a battle with magic, the next battle never start and we will have a black screen. Be careful, because if someone save the game after win a batlle with a Dragoon magic could break the game forever.

This is a link to my Twitter account with a visual demostration: 

Edited by Angulus
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jefXfree said:

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your bug reports. I can't comment on anything except to say that I've passed everything along to the engineering team and we're working on fixing the issues listed here, and elsewhere on the internet.

Thank you so much. I'd like to pass along something one of our modders believes is the cause of the Legend of Dragoon softlocks, in case it helps the team address the issue: 

"This is educated speculation based on knowledge I have gained from working on the engine and personal experiences with it. The softlocks look like a race condition. File loading in LoD uses asynchronous CDROM interrupts with simple bools for synchronization. Sometimes, files are queued up before the "file is loading" bool is set. If the file is loaded from disk too fast, the interrupt callback is triggered, setting "file is loading" to false, and then the code that says "file is loading" is set to true by the code that requested the file. The game then waits forever for a file that's already loaded, to load."

I was also asked to elevate this: "frame/lag spikes during heavy char/camera movement in battle"

I understand that you can't comment beyond passing our reports along. However, is it within your power to post a shortlist of known issues on your end? In our communities we are getting a lot of duplicate reports, naturally. We'd like to ensure that we're only reporting things to you that are specifically not on your list yet, in an effort to keep things efficient on both ends. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, XileLerinril said:

I have read several people say, on reddit, that sony is aware of the issues and working on a patch. I cant prove its true at all, but I would like to think it is. I am also seeing places like gamesradar put out articles on this, so its not unknown.

I think you got a little confused. You can prove it, because this very thread *is* the source! When I wrote the subreddit sticky, I cited this thread because the OP confirmed they had referred our reports to their PS Classics coworkers. Whoever's talking about a fix, that's *not* confirmed however.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Drewniverse108 said:

I think you got a little confused. You can prove it, because this very thread *is* the source! When I wrote the subreddit sticky, I cited this thread because the OP confirmed they had referred our reports to their PS Classics coworkers. Whoever's talking about a fix, that's *not* confirmed however.

Not confused at all. I understand that this thread stated that Sony has been made aware. My point is that until Sony publicly acknowledges this issue is known and being worked on, we are all just random people on the internet. I'm not going to tell someone something is a fact just because people I don't know said it is so. 

• Like 1