PlayStation Classics Issues

jefXfree
Message added by BlindMango,

Please be courteous & understanding when giving feedback for PlayStation Classics. It takes time to process the feedback you give and some fixes may take longer to sort out than others. Please avoid requests for new games and trophy lists as this thread is purely for feedback on existing games.

If you report a bug, please provide the following

• PSP: System Language
  • PS1: NTSC or PAL -- If PAL, which system language (NTSC is the default)

On 1/9/2023 at 4:51 PM, jefXfree said:

Hello,

I'm assisting with the PlayStation Classics titles and wanted a single location for people to share any issues they run across.

I'll pass these issues along to the engineering team to see if we can address it, especially trophy issues.

Please note, some issues may be legacy so they may not get fixed.

Also, please note, I can't take requests to add titles to the release slate, I can't divulge which titles are coming, etc.

Thanks

Hi, if you're legit then we've been tracking issues with the PS1 games over here, and while that was originally focused on European regions lacking NTSC versions of games there is now plenty of feedback on broader issues. A couple of examples:

• The NTSC version included with the European release of Syphon Filter 2 is still broken, and all versions lack the originals analog controls.
  • Toy Story 2 lacks the original versions analog controls.

If you'd like some more general feedback, then several of the games which only have PAL versions available in the European regions were patched to force the emulator to use some implementation of frame blending (to try and improve the stutter issues which come about from forcing 50hz games to run at 60hz). This has subjectively left these games in a worse state than they were released in due to the image ghosting it causes. It would be really good if this became a video option toggle so that you can decide whether it should be enabled or not. Here is an example of just how adversely this blending affects the look of the PAL version on a game which has it enabled.

Also, are you able to provide any insight as to why games such as Resident Evil offer a free upgrade from the PS3/PSP version if you're in a European region, but the same is not provided for the US region?

Thanks

• Like 4

22 hours ago, jefXfree said:

I can't share too much without getting in trouble, but I believe this is on the system level, not the game level.  I can't speak to Sony's plans to adjust this, but I've heard others make similar comments in regard to the sorting of the games themselves, so I know the community really want to see them labeled correctly.

I'm sure you'd know better than I but it would seem odd if this isn't a change that could be implemented. Consider the case of Batman: Arkham Origins, which was mistakenly labelled as PS3 and PS VITA since there was never a Vita version. Surely that would suggest it could be dealt with on the PSN server side.

It'd be reallllly nice if they could be labelled as PS1/PS4 and PS1/PS5. And the same for PSP... And also if the old PS2 classics could be updated to show PS2/PS4.

Edit: I think I may have misread your comment and realise you may have already agreed with me. Sorry!

Edited by ryanofx92

Thanks for the Ape Escape fix, much appreciated.

I've not encountered any further bugs in games I've played so far (which isn't many of them), but I find it weird that on the PSP emulation menu there are 4:3 ratio and CRT filter options when the PSP never had those things originally. I understand it's just sharing the options with the PS1 emulator but it's bizarre anwyay.

Adding my name to the list of people who want PS1/2/P labelling for trophies. It's probably too late to implement but I'd be happy with one trophy list shared across PS4/5 if the save files could also be used across both versions. Getting two plats per game is nice, but I'd rather the simplicity of one save file/list.

Thanks for having a read!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andshrew said:

Hi, if you're legit then we've been tracking issues with the PS1 games over here, and while that was originally focused on European regions lacking NTSC versions of games there is now plenty of feedback on broader issues. A couple of examples:

• The NTSC version included with the European release of Syphon Filter 2 is still broken, and all versions lack the originals analog controls.
  • Toy Story 2 lacks the original versions analog controls.

If you'd like some more general feedback, then several of the games which only have PAL versions available in the European regions were patched to force the emulator to use some implementation of frame blending (to try and improve the stutter issues which come about from forcing 50hz games to run at 60hz). This has subjectively left these games in a worse state than they were released in due to the image ghosting it causes. It would be really good if this became a video option toggle so that you can decide whether it should be enabled or not. Here is an example of just how adversely this blending affects the look of the PAL version on a game which has it enabled.

Also, are you able to provide any insight as to why games such as Resident Evil offer a free upgrade from the PS3/PSP version if you're in a European region, but the same is not provided for the US region?

Thanks

Thanks for this. I've passed along your notes.

I can't speak to the free upgrade, that's a different team than I work with. You'd have to contact the store team, at least that would be my guess.

48 minutes ago, JoeNDM said:

Thanks for the Ape Escape fix, much appreciated.

I've not encountered any further bugs in games I've played so far (which isn't many of them), but I find it weird that on the PSP emulation menu there are 4:3 ratio and CRT filter options when the PSP never had those things originally. I understand it's just sharing the options with the PS1 emulator but it's bizarre anwyay.

Adding my name to the list of people who want PS1/2/P labelling for trophies. It's probably too late to implement but I'd be happy with one trophy list shared across PS4/5 if the save files could also be used across both versions. Getting two plats per game is nice, but I'd rather the simplicity of one save file/list.

Thanks for having a read!

I'll pass along your notes. 

We can't share saves because of the system limitation (I don't believe any PS4/PS5 games can share), but I'll toss out the idea of shared save data. But I can't promise anything, that's likely above my pay. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JoeNDM said:

They've actually removed these options from the latest version of the PSP emulator that is used in Pinball Hereos which released last month. The aspect ratio options have been replaced with an overscan option allowing you to shrink the overall output, and the scanline filter option has been removed entirely. Interestingly Ridge Racer 2 which released at the same time last month still has these options so I suspect that game was packaged up with the older version of the emulator for some reason (maybe it's been sitting finished and waiting for release for a while, whereas Pinball Hereos was only recently completed).

17 minutes ago, jefXfree said:

Thanks for this. I've passed along your notes.

Thanks - hopefully we'll see some improvements come out of this.

1 hour ago, jefXfree said:

Niiice, three PS1 games in one month! Syphon Filter 3, Star Wars Demolition, & Hot Shots Golf 2

I wonder which will have trophies, we shall see :P 

11 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Niiice, three PS1 games in one month! Syphon Filter 3, Star Wars Demolition, & Hot Shots Golf 2

I wonder which will have trophies, we shall see :P 

My money is on hot shot golf 2 and syphon filter 3, because jk their earlier versions have trophies :P

But star wars would be nice too.

Edited by Bumperklever
  • Like 1

Hi @jefXfree

Some feedback on the three games released today (based on playing the European PS5 versions).

• Syphon Filter 3 has controller vibration working but it is missing analog input.
  • Star Wars Demolition has controller analog input working but is missing vibration.
  • It's great that all 3 include an NTSC/PAL version toggle for us Europeans. There are still 8 of the games initially released on the service which have not been patched to include this option - and additionally Syphon Filter 2 where the toggle is broken (as mentioned in the previous post). Is the team still intending to patch/fix these?
  • The PAL version included in all 3 applies the forced frame blending (also mentioned in the previous post). Just to add again, it would be good to see this made into an option which the user can toggle off if they prefer.

One last suggestion, while the "up-rendered" graphics can look good it would also be nice if there was the option to disable this and instead just have a straight upscale of the original graphics. You can actually see this happening in Resident Evil on scene changes - for a brief moment the up-rendering effect is disabled and you see the original graphics upscaled instead. I don't know if offering an option like this was perhaps their intention with their "Native Resolution" option in the emulator menu - but at the moment that just creates a postage stamp sized output and still retains the same uprendered graphics which I can't imagine anyone is actually using...

Edited by andshrew
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, andshrew said:

Hi @jefXfree

Some feedback on the three games released today (based on playing the European PS5 versions).

• Syphon Filter 3 has controller vibration working but it is missing analog input.
  • Star Wars Demolition has controller analog input working but is missing vibration.
  • It's great that all 3 include an NTSC/PAL version toggle for us Europeans. There are still 8 of the games initially released on the service which have not been patched to include this option - and additionally Syphon Filter 2 where the toggle is broken (as mentioned in the previous post). Is the team still intending to patch/fix these?
  • The PAL version included in all 3 applies the forced frame blending (also mentioned in the previous post). Just to add again, it would be good to see this made into an option which the user can toggle off if they prefer.

One last suggestion, while the "up-rendered" graphics can look good it would also be nice if there was the option to disable this and instead just have a straight upscale of the original graphics. You can actually see this happening in Resident Evil on scene changes - for a brief moment the up-rendering effect is disabled and you see the original graphics upscaled instead. I don't know if offering an option like this was perhaps their intention with their "Native Resolution" option in the emulator menu - but at the moment that just creates a postage stamp sized output and still retains the same uprendered graphics which I can't imagine anyone is actually using...

Hello,

Thank for this. I've passed along all of the notes. 

• Like 2