Please keep the Trophy Tip feature

Another example is the new South Park guide, the 'tip' for the Shutout trophy is basically 'Well duh''

Easy enough as it is, it's helpful if people say where's easiest to get the trophy if you're having trouble. 

Not everyone will find the same things easy. If an author of a guide found a trophy easy it doesn't mean everyone else will.

No doubt the comments section of each guide will become filled with either 'Thank you' or people leaving tips and filling in the blanks that the author left out.

It will become messier and even less functional than it was.

Edited by Lion-Lhasa

Well even if there exists the possibility of multiple guides, i still prefer that the tips continue to exist here, many users had the effort of writting it and I agree with what some users said here about prefering to see a quick a tip on just a trophy they need.

I like how you've brought them back under the guide tip when you click the trophy, kinda sucks how people won't be able to add tips anymore as I always like to see sometimes "what do other people have to say that this guide may have missed?" when I used guides on .... other sites.   :P There have actually been dozens upon dozens of times that user comments/tips helped me out a lot. Whether it was revealing another method to get the trophy or answering a question I had like "but what if this happens", among other things.

I would think that a trophy guide section along with a user tip section could live together in harmony, both of them are very powerful in their own ways. Honestly, user tips can definitely add more usefulness to people reading the guide in my opinion as I constantly read those after reading the official guide tip just for the whole story or the 100% confirmation. 

Eh, I think as time moves on though that it will all get figured out as to what the best combination is though ;)

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

Blind, I think most people would agree with you.

The main issue with tips is the sheer administration of it. And so many can be complete tripe. Guides have a certain purity thanks to the guide team, tips are often just a mess. Some are helpfull, but most wouldn't be more helpfull than the guide. In the instances that it is, I agree it sucks to not have it, but it is hard to keep clean otherwise.

I'm sure the system will evolve, but there aren't only good things to trophy tips, which is why they were being made obsolete.

• Like 1

Firstly, I think that the guide system is great, unfortunatly it appears that some posters here have not taken the time to play with it.  There is no reason to read the whole guide for info on a single trophy, just click on the trophy as you would for a tip and you get the guide info for that trophy.

A well written guide will include the best information in the tip section, if it doesn't the mod should pick it up, so there is no reason that the tips cannot be deleted when the guide is posted.  However for new games especially, the best way to get a trophy may not be known at the time of writing the guide.  So my suggestion would be to clear the tips when the guide is posted but to leave the ability to add tips in place, people are far less likly to post junk if a good guide is already there.

• Like 1

Ideed.

If you are on the trophy list and click on the single trophy you'll get the "guide" for that single trophy and it's the same thing as a tip.

It will just have 1 tip (I believe) instead of multiple.

Or maybe it could be that if a game has 2 guides, the content of both will be shown as if they were 2 'tips'.

I don't think you should get rid of tips completely either. For instance on ps3trophies I was using the Grid 2 trophy guide this week. For the trophy to win a race on the hardest difficulty without using flashbacks the guide had 1 method which was ridiculously hard. I wasted a few hours. Then I went to the main forum of the game and saw someone else posted a different method and I got the trophy on my second try with that method. 

With tips here it's likely that both methods would have been displayed under the trophy page thus saving me a lot of time. So, if you really want to do away with tips how about letting members leave comments on individual trophies instead of just the main guide (that way people don't have to sift through tons of "great guide" comments). On this website I usually just look directly at the trophy I need help with (the page with recent/first achievers). If I see the tip from the official guide great, but even better if under that there was a comment section where people can post additional methods or tips. That way guides are still written by one person but others have the ability to help the community if they have a better/different method. 

Hell you could even implement a guide comment team to moderate the comments on trophies before they appear so only useful ones get published. This would keep the tip lovers happy and give people with valuable information a means to share it without having to write a full guide of their own (and most people wouldn't bother doing that if a game already had a guide regardless of how beneficial their method was). 

Edited by Lil_Mermaid_Girl
  • Like 1

I don't think you should get rid of tips completely either. For instance on ps3trophies I was using the Grid 2 trophy guide this week. For the trophy to win a race on the hardest difficulty without using flashbacks the guide had 1 method which was ridiculously hard. I wasted a few hours. Then I went to the main forum of the game and saw someone else posted a different method and I got the trophy on my second try with that method. 

With tips here it's likely that both methods would have been displayed under the trophy page thus saving me a lot of time. So, if you really want to do away with tips how about letting members leave comments on individual trophies instead of just the main guide (that way people don't have to sift through tons of "great guide" comments). On this website I usually just look directly at the trophy I need help with (the page with recent/first achievers). If I see the tip from the official guide great, but even better if under that there was a comment section where people can post additional methods or tips. That way guides are still written by one person but others have the ability to help the community if they have a better/different method. 

Hell you could even implement a guide comment team to moderate the comments on trophies before they appear so only useful ones get published. This would keep the tip lovers happy and give people with valuable information a means to share it without having to write a full guide of their own (and most people wouldn't bother doing that if a game already had a guide regardless of how beneficial their method was). 

You just gave a perfect example on why tips suck: you used a trophy guide on another site first.

If I see the tip from the official guide great, but even better if under that there was a comment section where people can post additional methods or tips. That way guides are still written by one person but others have the ability to help the community if they have a better/different method.

I agree, for example I was checking the Uncharted 3 guide earlier and I noticed that the creators used a different (and in my opinion harder) method to get a certain trophy, if there was a tip section for every trophy I would share my method so that people could choose which to try if the other one wasn't working for them, it's not about not liking the method described in the guide, it's just that I find the one I used simpler and faster.

You just gave a perfect example on why tips suck: you used a trophy guide on another site first.

Fair point, but if I use a guide on this site and the method described for a trophy isn't working for me I would go to another site anyway whereas if there was a comment section for that particular trophy where other people could share their methods I wouldn't have to use another site!

It's true that the tips suck because players obviously would rather have a full guide instead of a tip here and there, but if you have just guides you only get the authors method, and like some already said 'I might know another way to do it but I won't write a full guide just so people get a different method for 1 trophy'.

In my opinion guides + tips are the way to go  :lol:

• Like 3

I guess you could always write a trophy tip in the comments section for the guide?

You could but what good would that do?

This guide option was just released but lets say a few moths from now a guide has 200+ comments and lets say the game is Uncharted 3 which has 105 trophies, are you going to scroll though 200 comments hoping to find a trophy tip for that 1 trophy out of the 105 there are or are you going to another site to search for the same information you know you can get from the trophy tips there?

If there was a comment section for each trophy then you would know that you could get a tip about that trophy there, but since there is only a comment section for the full guide you never know if there is any tip for that particular trophy you want unless you read through all the comments :P

• Like 1

You could but what good would that do?

This guide option was just released but lets say a few moths from now a guide has 200+ comments and lets say the game is Uncharted 3 which has 105 trophies, are you going to scroll though 200 comments hoping to find a trophy tip for that 1 trophy out of the 105 there are or are you going to another site to search for the same information you know you can get from the trophy tips there?

If there was a comment section for each trophy then you would know that you could get a tip about that trophy there, but since there is only a comment section for the full guide you never know if there is any tip for that particular trophy you want unless you read through all the comments :P

The author can edit the guide after reading comments left on it.

The author can edit the guide after reading comments left on it.

Which is good, but it's unlikely that all (or even most) guide writers will check or keep their guide updated. Especially as time passes. 

A lot of sites have trophy guides and then if the posted method isn't helping you have to search the forum for tips from other people. This site could have that all in one place on the individual trophy page. No need to clutter the guide, just a little number saying "this trophy has X comments". If you want to read those comments you have to click the trophy. 

I don't know if Sly just dislikes the tips in general or if it would be really hard to implement or what but I think it's a good idea and judging by this topic others do as well. If you had a small member team that monitored the tips/comments and only approved ones that gave a clear alternative method for people to try I think it could make this the best guide site out there. 

Just for teh lulz but, a huge majority of tips are just links to YouTube videos; isn't that the same thing? :lol:

Sometimes the best tip is to say "Hey, look at this other tip". :D

Trophy tips also sometimes build on each other and make some trophies easier to get. A good example is the Veteran trophy in Mass Effect .3

https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/1292-Mass-Effect-3/31-Veteran

One person put up the tip about the tutorial mission, another mentioned that if you have the Citadel DLC, you can do it a different way, and then another person built upon the tip about the tutorial mission and created a quicker method to obtain kills for the trophy. If trophy tips are completely replaced, this won't happen. Had the person who left the first tip made the guide, we never would have gotten the other methods, and it would have ended up costing a lot of people a lot more time, myself included.

I thought I recognised that tip  :pimp: That's also the reason why I like them.

I agree that a hybrid solution between a full-blown guide and the trophy tips would seem best approach, but that's only one man's opinion and it's not mine that counts. As has been mentioned in this topic, discussed numerous times prior to the launch of the Guides system and as I've pointed out to several guide authors, there are sometimes better and faster ways to do things, or the methods mentioned in the guide no longer work, therefore retaining the Tips system in some form makes sense.

However, if we had to choose only one system for now, my vote would be for the Guides. The Tips system is too sporadic to be of any real value, the information has its fair share of crap and it's difficult to moderate in its current form. A guide on the other hand is uniform in its presentation, covers all of a game's trophies and has an approval / moderation system in place, but it potentially cock-blocks better information when only one or two trophies aren't quite right.

Let Sly bed the Guides system down - Comments can be used to mention improvements to the guide author and it's up to them if they want to update their guide. I'd personally like to see Tips as an optional pop-out below the author's own tip as it would seem more inclusive to allow the wider community to add to and improve upon the guide rather than write a competing guide from scratch to correct a couple of oversights. If not, maybe some way to send a PM to the Guide Team to 'Suggest a Tip' and we can follow it up with the author...not that we need any more work on our plates!

Give it a few months and let's see how things pan out. If we know one thing about Sly it's that he's open to feedback and he'll find the best solution both for his site and the community that uses it.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1

image_zps90d186c9.jpg

It's because of tips like these that the tip system has been removed. Of course the above tip has been removed now because we have a guide for that game, but allowing tips like these on a website as big as this is bad. It kinda ruins the reputation of the site. I'm sure people can find more stupid tips like this if you search for them. I'm just happy that everyone is being really enthusiastic about publishing guides. I will prefer Guides over tips anyday.

• Like 1

image_zps90d186c9.jpg

It's because of tips like these that the tip system has been removed. Of course the above tip has been removed now because we have a guide for that game, but allowing tips like these on a website as big as this is bad. It kinda ruins the reputation of the site. I'm sure people can find more stupid tips like this if you search for them. I'm just happy that everyone is being really enthusiastic about publishing guides. I will prefer Guides over tips anyday.

If someone submitted something like that in a full-on guide, I would approve it so fast you'd snap your neck watching it blaze through the approval process.

The fact of the matter is, trophy guides are pretty boring. You're reading a how-to manual on getting a virtual trinket with absolutely no real-world value; most of the appeal will come from the game itself, and not slogging through a generally monotonous description of an online chore. Any personality and pizzazz you can inject into a tip or guide, particularly for a trophy as banal as this one, should be applauded. The example you provided is far from poor - a clever little piece like that draws more people to the site than it will ever turn away, I can assure you.

Edited by Curb
  • Like 4

If someone submitted something like that in a full-on guide, I would approve it so fast you'd snap your neck watching it blaze through the approval process.

The fact of the matter is, trophy guides are pretty boring. You're reading a how-to manual on getting a virtual trinket with absolutely no real-world value; most of the appeal will come from the game itself, and not slogging through a generally monotonous description of an online chore. Any personality and pizzazz you can inject into a tip or guide, particularly for a trophy as banal as this one, should be applauded. The example you provided is far from poor - a clever little piece like that draws more people to the site than it will ever turn away, I can assure you.

Haha I would have to agree, absolutely hilarious tip, I love ones like these =P