Achievements/Trophies bad for gaming says Ubisoft dev

DEI2EK

Absolutely not. I mean, I get that some people go insane over trophies and forget to enjoy the game or they buy games only because it has an easy plat, but I don't think it makes games worse at all. It feels like you accomplish something and it gives you a goal to work toward. It gives a lot of games some replay value as many games require multiple playthroughs in order to get the trophies. For me, I feel proud when I get trophies and it makes the game a much better experience! There's a lot of mobile games I enjoy playing, but I have a lack of motivation to play them because I have no trophies to work toward.

The fact that someone can say such a thing... it blows my mind! Trophies have changed gaming in a good way and I would honestly not love games or have as much motivation to finish games without that small serotonin boost that earning a trophy gives. It's the only thing in my life I have that I've accomplished and feel proud of (yes it's sad don't judge me ?)

Edited by Annoyingtiger888
  • Like 1

I both agree and disagree with him on this. I've seen a lot of terrible trophy lists in my time, along with some good ones that were ruined by glitches the devs refused to fix. It's all in moderation IMO, put the requisite time and money into getting it right first time, then you won't have a problem later on but if issues do arise, fix them quickly instead of dragging your heels and acting like there's nothing wrong. On a personal level, trophies have only been a bad thing in my life and drove to me to become someone I really didn't like, which is why I gave up on serious trophy hunting a few years ago and abandoned any notion of getting a 100% profile so now I just play what I want and dump the games that drive me mad :).

I disagree, as I have never thought or experienced any of these things. 

Trophies usually get players to do more in the game, as I bet most players wouldn't bother with completing non-story related stuff if there weren't trophies for it. I know I certainly would not. 

Trophies never disrupted attention, and if he doesn't know there is the option of turning off trophy notifications anyway. 

I don't know about the eating resources bit as I'm not a game developer. I assumed games were made and then trophies afterwards to fit around the game, rather than the game being made to fit around trophies which does not make sense. Also, with games being released across platforms to include Nintendo which has no trophies, I would assume trophies do not affect the overarching development and design of a game in terms of what to include.

• Like 1

A terrible trophy list can make a decent game overstay its welcome with grindy trophies or unnecessary multiplayer, but it only narrows or disrupts a game if a bad dev lets it. On the other hand, a good trophy list incentivises doing more in a game, and may help bring some cool secrets to light that many gamers wouldn't have even known to look for otherwise. 

Also I agree with @DrBloodmoney that it's particularly ironic for an Ubisoft dev to make this argument. I also enjoy a good ubi checkbox adventure when I don't want to think too deeply, but for anyone associated with their particular cookie cutter formula to say this, shows a stunning lack of self awareness.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

I think he made a typo. clearly he meant micro transactions, not trophies

^This 100%

A trophy list uses very few resources as they should be tied into the existing game/systems. No one makes a trophy list first and says, ok, now we build a game around that, well, maybe shovelware titles do. But seriously, everything they said completely fits into microtransactions and not trophies.

10 minutes ago, Moridin83 said:

Also I agree with @DrBloodmoney that it's particularly ironic for an Ubisoft dev to make this argument. I also enjoy a good ubi checkbox adventure when I don't want to think too deeply, but for anyone associated with their particular cookie cutter formula to say this, shows a stunning lack of self awareness.

Word.

I'm pretty sure that if they took the trophies out of Assassin's Creed Valhalla, it's not suddenly going to magically turn into Elden Ring.

Which, not for nothing, managed to be as awesome as it was....

...and still find the time and resources to include trophies / achievements.

The whole "resources could be better used" argument is so ridiculous as to border on insanity.

Ubisoft credit scrolls are LEGENDARILY lengthy. Have you seen the credit scroll on a modern Assassin's Creed game?

I've read novels with fewer words!

If this dude thinks that not adding cheevos to the game would have suddenly freed up enough resources to make the games more interesting or "less narrow", he's having a laugh.

Tunic, Axiom Verge, Braid, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Spelunky, Papers Please, Thomas Was Alone, Stardew Valley, Spelunky...

...these are games made entirely (or virtually entirely) by ONE person.

AND they had trophies.

AND they each had more interesting elements and originality and panache than the average Ubisoft AAA game... made by the equivalent of the population of a medium sized city.

With all due respect, Ubidev...

...you need to have a long, hard bath with yourself.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

I actually sorta, kind of agree. All the time I hear people say "yeah that game looks awesome but the trophy list looks a little grindy so I'm skipping it".

Someone skipping a game they're interested in because of virtual icons is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard and definitely bad for gaming.

I like trophies but if I had a choice between the ability to earn them, or the ability for everyone to play the games they're interested in... I'm probably going to choose the latter.

That's not exactly what he was saying, I know, but it's still not a great thing lol.

But also worth noting, this guy is just some guy. He's not a ubisoft rep. He doesn't speak on behalf of the company. I don't know why people are acting like he does.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 1

I say this as someone who - as evidenced by my profile - clearly enjoys hunting trophies. But I agree with the first point, I just think it's worded weirdly. 

Trophies don't narrow a game down, but it can definitely narrow down how someone engages with a game.

The best challenges are the ones we create ourselves, and having pre-defined goals (i.e. what trophies tell us to do) often prevents players from going beyond those goals. I am certainly very often one of those players.

On the other hand, I have no idea what the other points are supposed to mean ? eating up valuable resources... 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

Not for gaming in general, but in certain games, I'd agree. Badly designed trophies or whole lists can make an experience with a game worse than it could've been. 

As for the resources required... I highly doubt huge teams of people and millions of dollars are required to include a trophy list in any game. Ubi could just copy paste them between their games, it's what they've been doing with like half of the games themselves. 

But I do admit, after trophy whoring for a good while, it's good to play games without even looking at them. 

• Like 1