Future of PS3 Online Service?

mcpetrus

What do you think is the future of the ps3 (and the ps vita) in terms of online features?

They had planned to completely close the online service for ps3 and vita in 2021 before they moved away from it after criticism.

However it should be clear that they will try again in medium term to switch it off. they don't earn a cent more with the ps3 but only pay for the servers although probably not much. But it is clear that they cannot afford this forever...

The situation has also changed compared to 2021. a lot more people have the ps5 and the ps4 is getting cheaper and cheaper to resell. even the low-budget gamers will finally abandon the ps3.

I think they will announce it longer in advance than last time (in 2021 they announced it in spring and it should be closed in summer).

I think it's realistic that they will announce sometime this year that they will switch it off by the summer or the end of 2024.

what do you all mean?

Of course I'm also interested in the whole thing from a trophy perspective because I want to catch up on some things that I didn't do 10 years ago..

It will die eventually but not because of Sony themselves and "maybe" not anytime soon.

It will be due to 3rd party companies such as EA Ubisoft and infinity ward.

Overtime they will continue to close servers like ghost recon, Army of two,

Battlefield etc. To the point where there won't be enough revenue or interest to sustain itself. This is completely opinion but based off history of other similar situations.

• Like 3

They should put out something like a legacy PS3 have a disc drive but maybe put in some more updated tech and possibly a drive for vita games and that would probably make them a pretty penny especially from people who live the PS3 still but their consoles are dying I'd give them money for that and I'd use the PS3 store more and everythung

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mcpetrus said:

What do you think is the future of the ps3 (and the ps vita) in terms of online features?

They had planned to completely close the online service for ps3 and vita in 2021 before they moved away from it after criticism.

However it should be clear that they will try again in medium term to switch it off. they don't earn a cent more with the ps3 but only pay for the servers although probably not much. But it is clear that they cannot afford this forever...

The situation has also changed compared to 2021. a lot more people have the ps5 and the ps4 is getting cheaper and cheaper to resell. even the low-budget gamers will finally abandon the ps3.

I think they will announce it longer in advance than last time (in 2021 they announced it in spring and it should be closed in summer).

I think it's realistic that they will announce sometime this year that they will switch it off by the summer or the end of 2024.

what do you all mean?

Of course I'm also interested in the whole thing from a trophy perspective because I want to catch up on some things that I didn't do 10 years ago..

Hmm… I don’t think anything similar is going to happen, at least in the short term… especially considering that new titles are still coming out for PS3, being one of the last examples Another World -launched November 27, 2022-.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Desavenencia said:

especially considering that new titles are still coming out for PS3, being one of the last examples Another World -launched November 27, 2022-.

I wonder how many people are playing that...

I'd guess they will try to limit PS3 online features this or next year. They have no reason to keep the PS3 alive. No money, no interest. 

I kinda wonder, because I see people talking about PS3 games, about them not being on sale etc, I wonder how does it look on Sony's side, with all things considered - is it not worth it because it would still generate a financial loss or would it be profitable to keep the system alive and still have sales, etc, but just not profitable enough for them to bother with it. 

20 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

They should put out something like a legacy PS3 have a disc drive but maybe put in some more updated tech and possibly a drive for vita games and that would probably make them a pretty penny especially from people who live the PS3 still but their consoles are dying I'd give them money for that and I'd use the PS3 store more and everythung

That is an amazing idea but they’ll never do it hahah, I’d love to be proven wrong tho !

They’ll probably stop the ability to buy on the store soon same with Vita, the day they stop you downloading titles and most importantly stop syncing trophies will be a very dark day lol

Edited by zachpicc

10 minutes ago, zachpicc said:

That is an amazing idea but they’ll never do it hahah, I’d love to be proven wrong tho !

They’ll probably stop the ability to buy on the store soon same with Vita, the day they stop you downloading titles and most importantly stop syncing trophies will be a very dark day lol

As much as we pay out for plus they should allocate some for PS3 server upkeep 

And I dunno it seems Nintendo and Sega dud ok with their classic consoles 

Edited by Taliesin_2943

27 minutes ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

While I’d be up for buying one as well, my first question would be how much are you willing to spend on that? They have to relicense the cell processor from IBM, then find a manufacturer who could cast dies with such an archaic design. Getting the cell shrunk down to modern processor scale would likely be in the 10s of millions of dollars and they’re definitely not selling the new ones at scale so all the buyers need to shoulder that cost directly. And forget the Vita drive, the PS TV showed how little demand there actually was for that and it would likely double the cost. I’d anticipate somewhere around $600-700 for this dying breath PS3 and would be shocked if they could move more than 2 million units. 

They no longer move the volume of PS3 software required to subsidize or warrant a new PS3 model. 

They probably currently sell just enough through the console store to cover the current low utilization of PSN for PS3 titles that are still online. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

While I’d be up for buying one as well, my first question would be how much are you willing to spend on that? They have to relicense the cell processor from IBM, then find a manufacturer who could cast dies with such an archaic design. Getting the cell shrunk down to modern processor scale would likely be in the 10s of millions of dollars and they’re definitely not selling the new ones at scale so all the buyers need to shoulder that cost directly. And forget the Vita drive, the PS TV showed how little demand there actually was for that and it would likely double the cost. I’d anticipate somewhere around $600-700 for this dying breath PS3 and would be shocked if they could move more than 2 million units. 

They no longer move the volume of PS3 software required to subsidize or warrant a new PS3 model. 

They probably currently sell just enough through the console store to cover the current low utilization of PSN for PS3 titles that are still online. 

I just want to be able to play my game discs well into the future but honestly my PS3 only has 1 8ssue currently my cat messed up the HDMI port by pulling the cord out a lot by running across it so the cords just fall right out so gotta use that crap color split thing

I'm sure it will entirely depend on the infrastructure of the game.

Games that use the general PSN servers, the same ones being used for PS4 and PS5, will likely online as long as they continue to use the same servers/server infrastructure. Then of course games that use peer to peer will be playable forever, as they're peer to peer. Certain features may come offline, depending on if information on them was stored console or server side and how it was coded, but they should always be at least playable.

Honestly, I imagine if any PS3 game isn't using one or both of these things, it's already been shut down. There's no substantial amount of money and no substantial playerbase for the PS3 anymore, so companies aren't going to pay anything to keep their old games running.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xylobe said:

Not sure where you heard this, but Another World's PS3 port came out in 2014. The last PS3 game was Shakedown Hawaii in August 2020.

Through the PS App, look for Another World and there it literally says «it was launched on November 27, 2022».

I have access to the store in Spain, but I guess it’s the same for everyone.

Why people assume that nobody is playing PS3 anymore? Or even buying content? Do you have any statistic that can prove what you say? Yes, it's an old console, but that's not enough reason to say "yes, shut it down". If Sony try to shut down the store again, the result will be similar than 2021.

The best way to "kill" PS3 is just closing servers slowly than closing the store nor trophy syncing.

• Like 3

Well, I'll weigh in with my two cents....for what it's worth.  I do believe eventually Sony will completely shut down all online functionality, the entirety of the PS3's and Vita's servers.  When?  I do not know.  However, keep this in mind.  The last thing Sony wants is a class action lawsuit.  To avoid that, they have to give sufficient warning for the closure.  Also, they would have to allow for some time to pass from when they shut down the PS3's and Vita's stores and when they unplug those system's entirely i.e. end trophy sync/support, etc.  After all, you don't want to have a situation where people are still buying games off of the stores and then tell the public that they have a month or three months to play and platinum or 100% the games they just bought.  I would think to avoid such a situation, they would have to do again what they tried to do a year or so ago.  Make an announcement that the stores will be closing.  This time make the announcement a year in advance and at the same time or within say six months after announce that full online support for the PS3 and Vita will end one full year after the PS3 and Vita stores are closed.  This way you are giving people plenty of warning and plenty of time to buy any games they want and platinum/100% them whatever before they pull the plug entirely.  Eventually they will pull the plug on them.  I just think if they approach it this way, with giving people one to two years notice, they certainly avoid any sort of legal ramifications and no one can say they weren't given a fair amount of time.  Just my thought on all this.  At any rate, if I had to guess when they might pull the plug completely on both the PS3 and the Vita, I would say in another 3 years or so from now, 2026 or so.  Heck, the PS3 will be 20 years old by then.  Anyways, that is all. 

Edited by Spider-Man916
  • Like 3

1.  All Servers for each Game are provided by the Publisher of that Game. The only ones Sony could close are their own Games. And they have done that already. I think the Last one Server Close from them was Warhawk.
  2. Sony only announced that they want to Close the PS Store for PS3 and PSVITA. You just could not buy new digital Content. Anything else would be untouched. You can snyc your Trophies, playing Online or access to Online Features in the Games and of course could Download Games from your Library/Download List.
  3. Since the announcement and even before many Games got delisted on the PS3 and PSVITA Store. If you not have buy them by now its to late anyway. There still People buying digital Content on both Consoles and even more play on them, including me. I think the Store close is one Day, but you should not fear for a complete Online Shutdown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Desavenencia said:

Through the PS App, look for Another World and there it literally says «it was launched on November 27, 2022».

I have access to the store in Spain, but I guess it’s the same for everyone.

The PS App doesn't list PS3 games. You can only access the PS3 store on a PS3. It also clearly says on the PS App that it came out 2014, and even then, it specifically says PS4. No where does it say anything about 2022.

Screenshot-20230116-225310-PS-App.jpg

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Jounochi said:

I feel like trophy support will never go away.  Trophies are programmed to pop on their respective systems, and that system then links with profile data on Sony's servers.  This is tied to all systems with profile support, so I don't believe there is much upkeep when it comes to trophies.

As for downloads, I don't know if they can legally cut off people from redownloading old content that they purchased.  Content on PS3 shows an expiration date if inspected, but for purchased games, I think it is blank.

well thats good to hear!