Future of PS3 Online Service?

mcpetrus

35 minutes ago, Desavenencia said:

My main intention was to highlight the fact that they still take the PlayStation 3 system into consideration when they publish new games. That’s all.

I think the problem is, that isn't a "new" game. I vaguely remember a story about when that released that made it seem like a one off thing (like they found them lost in a warehouse or something, so decided to release them.)

it might help your point if you can point out any other actual new releases on ps3

Edited by AJ_-_808
Phone is retarded

10 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Imo no, you say PS3 games are still coming out when they aren't. You're saying one thing but meaning an other as you've said. 

5 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

That literally says PS4, it just mentions that it's cross buy. Plenty of PS3 games became cross buy when their PS4 versions were released. At best, you could say the PS4 version was just released. But even then, there's so much proof otherwise.

It's okay to be wrong, as long as you accept that you were wrong and learn from it. Being stubborn about being wrong and refusing to take any and all proof to the contrary doesn't change anything or help anyone. 

Omg… This is starting to be surreal. Are you trolling me?

Okay, one last time:

• Another World: released November 27, 2022

• Added cross-buy with PS3

• Conclusion: they still release games for PS3

Easy enough? I hope so.

22 minutes ago, Desavenencia said:

Okay, one last time:

Easy enough? I hope so.

I'm starting to think you're the one who is trolling, are you high? 

1 hour ago, Desavenencia said:

Do you think that what I said doesn’t make sense? Just below the piece of my comment that you have cut out to quote me, that’s where I explained it. Well, I’m sorry. I can’t make you understand, that’s totally up to you. My bad, I guess.

Yeah, that’s what I was saying before.

In any case, I didn’t expect to have to extend myself so much to explain something that I had given as a simple example.

My main intention was to highlight the fact that they still take the PlayStation 3 system into consideration when they publish new games. That’s all.

But the game is EIGHT YEARS OLD, duh. The game was cross-buy eight years ago and is still cross-buy eight years later. I LITERALLY BOUGHT IT ON PS3 AND DIDN'T EVEN HAVE A VITA OR A PS4 AT THAT TIME, yet i got all 3 versions!

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Xylobe said:

@Desavenencia You're right: it looks like the current version of Another World listed in Europe (or at least Spain and the UK) has that November 2022 release date. PlatPrices has records of the original 2014 release and a February 2021 release as well, but the PSN store pages are removed.

2014: https://platprices.com/game/64956-another-world-20th-anniversary-edition?userregion=ES

2021: https://platprices.com/game/65411-another-world-20th-anniversary-edition?userregion=ES

2022: https://platprices.com/game/98924-another-world-20th-anniversary-edition?userregion=ES

The only visible difference between any of them is the game icon changing slightly between the 2014 and the 2021 versions. Publisher, Game ID, etc. are all the same across all versions. No idea what caused it to be relisted twice. In any case, the game came to PS3 in 2014, and no version of the game is available on the PS3 store itself in Europe. I imagine I could access it from my download list if I purchased the 2022 version from the web store, but I don't plan to go that far.

For some reason, there's a bunch of games on PSN that get double listings. Not sure if it's still the case, but a year or so ago I noticed two listings for Rogue Legacy on PS4 on the UK storefront, both different prices too. The cross-buy between PS4 and PS5 for games that have later gotten PS5 listings have caused a lot of issues like this as well. For example, Jett: The Far Shore has two listings on the UK PSN store, both PS4/PS5, both the same price (both currently on sale in fact), it just has two separate store listings 'cause... reasons.

Anyhow, to get back on topic: It's been said countless times, but it's really up in the air when online services on PS3 will cease to exist. I think for the foreseeable future, more servers for individual games will inevitably shut down, and the network as a whole will continue to be neglected, the store will become progressively more of a nightmare to use, and we'll get more issues like the license expiring bug of last year. I personally doubt anything like trophy syncing, cloud saves, downloading patches and games/purchases or even the storefront are going to go away any time soon. I think the first thing that will go likely will be the store, but I don't see Sony touching that again for a while after they backpedalled on their decision in 2021 due to all the backlash.

If you have a backlog for PS3, try to prioritise it if you're worried. But dwelling on "what ifs/whens" is ultimately fruitless, especially when we have next to no frame of reference to go off. One day you'll die too, could be tomorrow, could be 50 years from now. No point speculating as to when, it's a terrible waste of time. Enjoy the time you have while you have it, games are meant to be enjoyed after all. I think there'll likely be sufficient warning if and when they do decide to shut down online services for PS3, but again, I don't really see that happening any time soon.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Desavenencia said:

Okay, one last time:

Easy enough? I hope so.

https://blog.playstation.com/2014/06/17/classic-platformer-another-world-is-coming-to-ps4-next-week/

Release on PS3/Vita/PS4 with cross-buy on July 8th 2014.

Hi everyone. I can't say much as a tech saavy or a well-versed computer or console expert, but maybe I can shed some light about some legal terminology, if it helps.

When someone "buys" something, you get the most comprehensive right over it, which is the ownership/property right. As a result, you can do whatever you like with the good you purchased: you can lend it, share it, resell it, give or throw it away, lease it, etc. This is basically possible with a "phisical" good.

On the otherside, you have the digital/non-physical goods, in this case, digital games/add-ons/avatars/wallpapers/etc., that you also "buy", but as I understand It, you buy a "license of usage" rather than a property title over it. Hence, you can "use it" as much as you please, but not do other things you could with a physical good (sometimes the content creator explicitly says you can't share it, for example). But most importantly, said "licence", as all of them, have an expiration date.

What I'm trying to say is that having a digital good doesn't seem to provide or give you the same rights over it as when owning a pshysical good (which I'm sure you already know, duh ?). From a legal standpoint, having a "license of usage" implicitly means that, when the license expires, you won't be able to get the digital good you purchased anymore, but if you somehow have it stored (in this case, you downloaded it to your system) you can continue using it. So, bottom line, if the license expires, you won't be able to redownload it.

I hope this helps.

I apollogize if it doesn't.

Edited by Ghanupher
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ghanupher said:

What I'm trying to say is that having a digital good doesn't seem to provide or give you the same rights over it as when owning a pshysical good (which I'm sure you already know, duh ?). From a legal standpoint, having a "license of usage" implicitly means that, when the license expires, you won't be able to get the digital good you purchased anymore, but if you somehow have it stored (in this case, you downloaded it to your system) you can continue using it. So, bottom line, if the license expires, you won't be able to redownload it.

You are correct. It doesn't have much to do with predicting when and what PlayStation is going to do with the current online services for the PS3, but it speaks to ramifications of the aftermath.

And why every person in these forums hasn't reached out to their local representatives in whatever country they reside to urge them to establish digital first sale doctrine rights is beyond me, but that's going to derail the thread if we go on about it.

Honestly? I don't think Sony likes the fact that there was so much push back on them wanting to shut down the PS3 and Vita store, so their answer to this was to let it rot. With a lack of updates things are only going to get worse with time, and there will be a point when it doesn't work hardly at all...at that point they'll let people complain until they make it seem like the best answer is to finally shut it down. 

Now I actually predicted back in like 2014 that I thought the PS3 infrastructure would last until the PS6 is out. So we're still on track for that...we'll see how it goes. 

Never. 

There is no PS3 online service, only a Playstion Network Service that supports PS3, PS4. and PS5. 

Whilst certain publishers will close servers for specific games, the future is full backwards compatibility via Playstation Plus. 

Sony will look to expand this service massively over the next decade. We have already seen that any PS1 games added to the service that you purchased previously on the PS3 store, can be downloaded for free. 

I expect PS2 and eventually PS3 games to follow suit. 

Still dreaming of native PS3 backwards compatibility. 

For the record i have 103 games downloaded on my PS3 and only 4 have had their online servers shut down. All EA Sports games - NBA Jam, 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, NFL Blitz and Madden Arcade. That's it. All the others are still up and working great.

Don't listen to the naysayers. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Pretty sure PS3 runs on different servers. Every time PS4 has been down on PSN I've been able to sign into PS3 fine. 

I think sometimes PSN has been down across multiple platforms.

18 hours ago, dlbbRogueTrader said:

Never. 

There is no PS3 online service, only a Playstion Network Service that supports PS3, PS4. and PS5. 

Whilst certain publishers will close servers for specific games, the future is full backwards compatibility via Playstation Plus. 

Sony will look to expand this service massively over the next decade. We have already seen that any PS1 games added to the service that you purchased previously on the PS3 store, can be downloaded for free. 

I expect PS2 and eventually PS3 games to follow suit. 

Still dreaming of native PS3 backwards compatibility. 

For the record i have 103 games downloaded on my PS3 and only 4 have had their online servers shut down. All EA Sports games - NBA Jam, 3 on 3 NHL Arcade, NFL Blitz and Madden Arcade. That's it. All the others are still up and working great.

Don't listen to the naysayers. 

Also PSP (released long before PS3) and Vita.

And yeah it's full of third-party games with working servers out there. The games with multiplayer are not the only existing games. There are other minor games with several degrees of online capabilities, from in-game downloads to cross-saving and rankings, not necessarily multiplayer.

Just look at Ridge Racer 7, it was released SIXTEEN years ago and the online is still working. It also depends on the companies, the worst at shutting down games are the Western ones.

Edited by Lance_87

18 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

Pretty sure PS3 runs on different servers. Every time PS4 has been down on PSN I've been able to sign into PS3 fine. 

Sure.

The point I'm making is that Sony sees the PSN as a unified platform for their ecosystem. As for the backend, as technology evolves the hardware that supports PS3 will transition to something similar to that of the  PS4 / PS5. 

2 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

I think sometimes PSN has been down across multiple platforms.

Also PSP (released long before PS3) and Vita.

And yeah it's full of third-party games with working servers out there. The games with multiplayer are not the only existing games. There are other minor games with several degrees of online capabilities, from in-game downloads to cross-saving and rankings, not necessarily multiplayer.

Just look at Ridge Racer 7, it was released SIXTEEN years ago and the online is still working. It also depends on the companies, the worst at shutting down games are the Western ones.

Spot on. RR7 is a great example.Still on online, running at 1080 / 60. 

There are so many other examples including games that have been delisted. I still play Simpsons and X-men arcade online regularly. 

It's been said before that completely decoupling the PS3 from the network isn't as simple as flipping a switch. It would require the fabled PSN rework that'll never happen. What is going to happen is hardware breakdown. If your PS4 goes out, you can replace it, they are still being manufactured. Not so for the PS3 & Vita. Eventually all the ones out there are will be kaput and that's that, keeping the service up is no longer an issue. This is another reason I'd like either full network backward compatibility or a hardware replacement option.

My PS3, my old good time gal, is on her last legs. Thankfully my friend said I could have his hardly touched PS3, but that's a band-aid.

Edited by Jelly Soup

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

It's been said before that completely decoupling the PS3 from the network isn't as simple as flipping a switch. It would require the fabled PSN rework that'll never happen. What is going to happen is hardware breakdown. If your PS4 goes out, you can replace it, they are still being manufactured. Not so for the PS3 & Vita. Eventually all the ones out there are will be kaput and that's that, keeping the service up is no longer an issue. This is another reason I'd like either full network backward compatibility or a hardware replacement option.

My PS3, my old good time gal, is on her last legs. Thankfully my friend said I could have his hardly touched PS3, but that's a band-aid.

That's the biggest issue and consoles nowadays die quickly. I've gone through 3 PS3's already and onto my 4th and on my 2nd PS4 even but my PS2 from over 22 years ago is still alive and kicking and never had an issue. The more hardware they have the more prone they are to overheating and things just going wrong. The biggest hassle in the past was the controllers being glitchy because someone wound the wire around them when putting them back lol 

4 minutes ago, Hitman_Spinksy1 said:

That's the biggest issue and consoles nowadays die quickly. I've gone through 3 PS3's already and onto my 4th and on my 2nd PS4 even but my PS2 from over 22 years ago is still alive and kicking and never had an issue. The more hardware they have the more prone they are to overheating and things just going wrong. The biggest hassle in the past was the controllers being glitchy because someone wound the wire around them when putting them back lol 

Hopefully you’re getting those broken PS3s into someone else’s hands. Aside from fat PS3 YLOD, and even that there are effective recent tools for diagnosing, they’re very fixable so they can be made available for others in the future. 

19 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Hopefully you’re getting those broken PS3s into someone else’s hands. Aside from fat PS3 YLOD, and even that there are effective recent tools for diagnosing, they’re very fixable so they can be made available for others in the future. 

I managed to keep 1 should I ever repair it. The other two one which was my brothers and the other I repaired so many times it became toast in the end. At the moment, buying is a cheaper option for me picking one up last month for $50 

4 hours ago, dlbbRogueTrader said:

The point I'm making is that Sony sees the PSN as a unified platform for their ecosystem

They have pretty much cut PS3 off by disabling multiple features like been able to see it online on PS4, stoping it from messaging PS4, taking the games off the app store, only thing PS3 can do now is earn us trophies. The only thing unified is our account. PS3 is very limited now unfortunately. 

4 hours ago, GUDGER666 said:

They have pretty much cut PS3 off by disabling multiple features like been able to see it online on PS4, stoping it from messaging PS4, taking the games off the app store, only thing PS3 can do now is earn us trophies. The only thing unified is our account. PS3 is very limited now unfortunately. 

Well that's not the end of the world if there are other ways. They even disabled some account settings because of security reasons (when they forced 2FA) but it's still doable on PC and other recent platforms. I think you can still message between PS3s though.

Are you sure you can't redownload owned content from the Store app on PS3? Because it's still possible on Vita. If you meant to BUY content, it is still possible, but the money must be put on PSN your wallet from other sources.

Edited by Lance_87

• 2 months later...

there would be an easy fix,bring out a Playstation ultra console that plays all playstion games from disc.that way when youre in the mood for a retro night no need to dig out old consoles connect them up,i would love one regardless of cost but it will never happen.

at the end of the day you carnt expect them to keep it going forever,i have no problem with them turning it off completely,ps4 will get turned off when ps7s out its just a way of life.

i dont even connect my ps3 to internet anymore i dont need to sign into psn just to play for fun.

5 minutes ago, darthadi said:

there would be an easy fix,bring out a Playstation ultra console that plays all playstion games from disc.

Defining something as “easy” that would be an incredibly difficult engineering challenge seems to miss at least some of the reasons it hasn’t been done yet.