Guide Writer's Headquarters

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I'm in the middle of writing a guide and I'm unsure of the Estimated Time/Difficulty/Playthroughs to put on it.

There's two options for getting the final trophy for the game - grind up levels yourself (which will take ~40 hours) and fight a boss on your own, which is difficult. Or get someone to carry you through the level, cutting out that grind completely.

So it turns the game from ~50 hours, 7/10 difficulty, 4+ playthroughs to ~10 hours, 4/10 difficulty, 2 playthroughs. But it relies on finding another person to do it for you, versus just doing it yourself.

I added a note to the top of the guide about that specific trophy, but which Time/Difficulty/Playthroughs do I put for the basis of the guide? Or does it not actually matter as long as the note at the top of the guide is clear about it?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kristycism said:

So, I'm in the middle of writing a guide and I'm unsure of the Estimated Time/Difficulty/Playthroughs to put on it.

There's two options for getting the final trophy for the game - grind up levels yourself (which will take ~40 hours) and fight a boss on your own, which is difficult. Or get someone to carry you through the level, cutting out that grind completely.

So it turns the game from ~50 hours, 7/10 difficulty, 4+ playthroughs to ~10 hours, 4/10 difficulty, 2 playthroughs. But it relies on finding another person to do it for you, versus just doing it yourself.

I added a note to the top of the guide about that specific trophy, but which Time/Difficulty/Playthroughs do I put for the basis of the guide? Or does it not actually matter as long as the note at the top of the guide is clear about it?

Don't know which game the guide is for, but I'd put the time/difficulty/playthroughs for doing everything yourself in the overview, because the servers could be closed one day. Just be sure the note clarifies the grind could be skipped and how that would affect the stats. I did it like this and added the note immediately at the top of stage 1 of the roadmap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dragon-Archon said:

Don't know which game the guide is for, but I'd put the time/difficulty/playthroughs for doing everything yourself in the overview, because the servers could be closed one day. Just be sure the note clarifies the grind could be skipped and how that would affect the stats. I did it like this and added the note immediately at the top of stage 1 of the roadmap.

It's for Knights of Valour, which is online only so if the servers were closed, you wouldn't be able to do it either way.

I had already added a note at the top on skipping the grind, and put the hours for doing it all yourself, but I just wasn't sure that was the correct approach, or whether I should just be putting the most efficient route (finding a kind-hearted soul to take advantage of and make them do it for you). So, thank you for clarifying! ^_^

• Like 2

Hi guys, I'm cheering myself up for writing a DLC Guide for the game, but I'm having a little trouble doing it, so some help is needed, of course you will be given the proper credit.

1) Proofreading

Since I'm not an english fluent speaker, I will need some aid for proofreading in grammar and some english sentences, so I could be adding you as contributor to the guide if you so desire. Google Translator is fine, but not good enough.

2) Trophy confirmation

At the beginning I wasn't planning to write a guide, to be honest, I didn't even thought to come here, but I was in need of some boost partners in DIRT 4, so I got here and become interested in the guide section. ?

So, I was playing the game naturally and didn't keep track of trophies, so to avoid some mislead information I will need some confirmation, most of them are fresh in my mind, but I wanted to make it with 100% sure, so please help this poor foreigner, will ya?

3) Manuals Location

For the Ding Dong Discipline and Gizmo Supremo methods I already found out, basically you need to going further into the Labyrinth, talk to the villagers that shows the "!" icons on the map and buy them at the Labyrinth's entrance. But for Martha and Spell Caster Methods I couldn't remember where exactly I got them, some where from the villagers, some you get as prizes for S rank in Solosseum and the rest are scattered through the memory doors, but where ??

Well, if someone can and wants to help, please send me a Private Message or just write down here on the topic. Thank you !!!

24 minutes ago, LucasIIGD said:

Hi guys, I'm cheering myself up for writing a DLC Guide for the game, but I'm having a little trouble doing it, so some help is needed, of course you will be given the proper credit.

1) Proofreading

Since I'm not an english fluent speaker, I will need some aid for proofreading in grammar and some english sentences, so I could be adding you as contributor to the guide if you so desire. Google Translator is fine, but not good enough.

Hey, I’d happily proofread your guide for you. However I’ve never touched the game itself and so cannot help with issues #2 and #3. 

So if someone comes along who can assist with all three, feel free to take my place with regards to the proofreading. 

41 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I moved your post to the Guide Writing Headquarters thread.

Oh, didn't knew about this "headquarters"... nice knowing it. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, MrFudge said:

Hey, I’d happily proofread your guide for you. However I’ve never touched the game itself and so cannot help with issues #2 and #3. 

So if someone comes along who can assist with all three, feel free to take my place with regards to the proofreading. 

All right, I will start it as soon as I can. Thanks.

In addition, the game I'm referring to is Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom DLCs.

Edited by LucasIIGD

Hey guys, I'm kinda noob here, well, I got a question for ya.

About stackable trophies, there are two trophies that can be attained together, one can be obtained just by finishing the stage, the other requires finishing the same stage on a higher difficulty, so if I complete the difficulty one first, I will obtain both trophies, with that in mind, the tag should be on which trophy ? the first, the last or both ?

EDIT: I forgot another question...LOL

Regarding the difficulty specific trophies, some games doesn't stack them so you need to clear the game in each difficulty to achieve all trophies. So, in this case, the TAG Missable can be applied here ?

IMO I say no, because the TAG Difficulty Specific combined with Stackable provide the properly guidance needed.

Edited by LucasIIGD

Hey Lucas!

To answer your first question, the first trophy should be tagged as stackable, and the trophy that's a higher difficulty shouldn't have a stackable tag

For the second question, you're correct that the difficulty specific and stackable tags provide enough information, and you don't want to put the missable tag

Hope this helps out :) 

• Like 1

On 19/07/2019 at 7:12 PM, BlindMango said:

Hey Lucas!

To answer your first question, the first trophy should be tagged as stackable, and the trophy that's a higher difficulty shouldn't have a stackable tag

For the second question, you're correct that the difficulty specific and stackable tags provide enough information, and you don't want to put the missable tag

Hope this helps out :) 

It sure helps a lot, thanks Mango. ☺️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

Ey there, so it seems MH Iceborne expansion gets a separated list, and was wondering if anyone is interested to team up for a full guide for this expansion, or anyone from the base game guide team, if they are up for the new challenge.

I'm interested in the game, but won't be getting it at launch. I remember @viech54 was very interested, so maybe he's willing.

7 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

Ey there, so it seems MH Iceborne expansion gets a separated list, and was wondering if anyone is interested to team up for a full guide for this expansion, or anyone from the base game guide team, if they are up for the new challenge.

8 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I'm interested in the game, but won't be getting it at launch. I remember @viech54 was very interested, so maybe he's willing.

While it's true that I'm interested in the game (preordered JP version + one from my PSN store to start playing at midnight) and will play pretty much nothing else for a good month or two as soon as it releases, my past experience with guides made me question if I should write guides in the future. I feel like I should have done more than I did to help make guides as good as possible and update them after release.

If you don't mind, then send me a message and we'll talk about the guide. No promises, though.

8 hours ago, viech54 said:

While it's true that I'm interested in the game (preordered JP version + one from my PSN store to start playing at midnight) and will play pretty much nothing else for a good month or two as soon as it releases, my past experience with guides made me question if I should write guides in the future. I feel like I should have done more than I did to help make guides as good as possible and update them after release.

If you don't mind, then send me a message and we'll talk about the guide. No promises, though.

Well I can’t judge you on that since I haven’t seen you what you wrote, maybe you are just being too hard on yourself.

But, if you are not feeling it then I don’t think its a good idea, since I guess thats the most important part.

In any case, I shall wait more and see if at least 3 people can be gathered.

10 hours ago, BlackTorito said:

Well I can’t judge you on that since I haven’t seen you what you wrote, maybe you are just being too hard on yourself.

But, if you are not feeling it then I don’t think its a good idea, since I guess thats the most important part.

In any case, I shall wait more and see if at least 3 people can be gathered.

I went awol on another guide writer once and it feels like @Dragon-Archon's doing all the work for post-release editing and responding to other users these days (wasn't always like this, there was a time when I helped out and did a second plat run for one of our guides to improve the guide). Don't think I should let him do it alone, but I'm currently doing it.

I'd kinda want to. Monster Hunter is among my alltime favorite games, this game deserves a great guide. I'll plat the game and I'll have the knowledge needed to make it happen. But I'm not sure I'm the right person for the job.

There's one thing I can definitely do: Play Iceborne with you. I have a group of four players already, but knowing me, I'll play a lot when they're not online. What's your UTC? Mine is +1?

Regardless of whether I join the guide or not, I can share my knowledge if that's something you're interested in. Played more than 1000 hours MHW so far, will quite likely spend at least 500 hours on Iceborne.

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

I went awol on another guide writer once and it feels like @Dragon-Archon's doing all the work for post-release editing and responding to other users these days (wasn't always like this, there was a time when I helped out and did a second plat run for one of our guides to improve the guide). Don't think I should let him do it alone, but I'm currently doing it.

I'd kinda want to. Monster Hunter is among my alltime favorite games, this game deserves a great guide. I'll plat the game and I'll have the knowledge needed to make it happen. But I'm not sure I'm the right person for the job.

There's one thing I can definitely do: Play Iceborne with you. I have a group of four players already, but knowing me, I'll play a lot when they're not online. What's your UTC? Mine is +1?

Regardless of whether I join the guide or not, I can share my knowledge if that's something you're interested in. Played more than 1000 hours MHW so far, will quite likely spend at least 500 hours on Iceborne.

Well i’m sure being one of your favourites games it will grow on you eventually, but we will see.

Yes, im GMT+2 which is the same, but I will be back to +1 around October since in my country we use daylight saving time, though I’ll be like you, will play at my own pace since I’ll be starting college around those days but I will eventually play with people once I finish the campaign for sure. We can meet from time to time and exchange knowledge for sure, and be on the look for gold crowns plus tips for measuring monsters.

10 hours ago, new-stirum94 said:

Can anyone confirm if there is someone or not actually working on it? 

No one is working on a guide for Tera.

1 hour ago, viech54 said:

Don't worry about bro, I don't mind updating the guide with the new updates as I'd play those even if the guide didn't exist. Also, don't sell yourself short: you helped out a lot with Ys VIII: doing all the PS4 exclusive content, checking for differences between the Vita and PS4 version, creating videos, and checking every name of enemies, items, locations, people, skills, and terms again after the localization patch was released..

I just started writing a guide for Yakuza 5 after 3 and 4, and I'm having trouble. This is the first time I've seen the trophy language switch to Japanese in the guide page, vs English in the trophy list. Is there any way to ensure that the trophies and their descriptions will be in English in the guide? The only way around it I can see is to transcribe the English names and descriptions for each trophy, and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

15 hours ago, Wertkiller said:

I just started writing a guide for Yakuza 5 after 3 and 4, and I'm having trouble. This is the first time I've seen the trophy language switch to Japanese in the guide page, vs English in the trophy list. Is there any way to ensure that the trophies and their descriptions will be in English in the guide? The only way around it I can see is to transcribe the English names and descriptions for each trophy, and I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Sadly, it's not possible at the time. You'll need to add the English names and requirements at the top of each description.