Guide Writer's Headquarters

Question why is it that When i go to the guide I am working on for Dead or School it is all in Japanese but when I go to the trophy page that is away from the guide they are all in english? It is making it difficult to work on the guide, for now I just copied the trophy list and pasted it over to WordPad so I do not have to keep changing pages.

Any ideas why this is?

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/9136-dead-or-school-trophy-guide

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/9570-dead-or-school

Edited by Void

23 hours ago, Void said:

Question why is it that When i go to the guide I am working on for Dead or School it is all in Japanese but when I go to the trophy page that is away from the guide they are all in english? It is making it difficult to work on the guide, for now I just copied the trophy list and pasted it over to WordPad so I do not have to keep changing pages.

Any ideas why this is?

@BlindMango probably would know better than me, but, I would suspect it is because it is a Japanese release of the game. Here is a recent example of a game and guide that do the same thing as you have shown here that we've approved for publication.

On 10/15/2019 at 9:11 AM, Kristycism said:

Is anyone working on a guide for Shiness The Lightning Kingdom?

I was thinking of doing a Trophy Guide and supplementary Walkthrough, but if someone is already doing the guide part, I'll just focus on making a really good Platinum Walkthrough.

You're good to write a guide if you'd like to. No one has begun to write a guide for this game.

On 10/13/2019 at 4:34 PM, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

I saw on the front page, that Far Cry 2 is still listed as a game that needs a guide, but the game already has one. 

On another note, If no one is willing to make a Silent Hill Downpour guide, I'd be willing to make one after I finish up my Skate 2 one. I was planning on platinuming the game once again, given Halloween is around the corner.

Not recently, you're good to write a guide if you'd like to

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Dreggit said:

@BlindMango probably would know better than me, but, I would suspect it is because it is a Japanese release of the game. Here is a recent example of a game and guide that do the same thing as you have shown here that we've approved for publication.

thanks, I copy and pasted the english names which I will leave in even after finishing that way folks will know what they mean.

• Like 1

Hi I just have a question guide reviews.

So I made a guide for L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files & it has been in 'Awaiting Review' status for about a week & a half & I was just wondering if that's pretty standard or not. Since the other guides I've posted all got reviewed in less than a week (& my My Time at Portia guide was reviewed & posted within 2 days of sending it off). I just wanna double check to know if that's the standard & all the others just through faster than normal. Thank you in advance!

On 17/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, Void said:

Any ideas why this is?

From my knowledge, it depends on want the default language the game has set for the trophy list. Usually, it's English so when you go to write a guide it automatically sets the trophies with English but some games, especially the Japanese ones, have another default language. For example, I tried to make a Yakuza 5 trophy guide but gave up at the time but even then my guide would pick up the Japanese trophy list.

2 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

So I made a guide for L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files & it has been in 'Awaiting Review' status for about a week & a half & I was just wondering if that's pretty standard or not. Since the other guides I've posted all got reviewed in less than a week (& my My Time at Portia guide was reviewed & posted within 2 days of sending it off). I just wanna double check to know if that's the standard & all the others just through faster than normal. Thank you in advance!

I think someone asked that before and the answer is it depends on how much guides have been sent for review. Guess this time the queue is large so your guide is taking a while to review.

Edited by TugaSonic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TugaSonic said:

From my knowledge, it depends on want the default language the game has set for the trophy list. Usually, it's English so when you go to write a guide it automatically sets the trophies with English but some games, especially the Japanese ones, have another default language. For example, I tried to make a Yakuza 5 trophy guide but gave up at the time but even then my guide would pick up the Japanese trophy list.

I think someone asked that before and the answer is it depends on how much guides have been sent for review. Guess this time the queue is large so your guide is taking a while to review.

Ok thank you, & yeah I think it is pretty massive went I sent it in for review as I saw I think roughly 6 or 7 guides published after sending mine in for review. Thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure that was normal since it's never taken that long before.

On 10/17/2019 at 1:05 AM, Void said:

Any ideas why this is?

This is because the default language of the trophy list is Japanese and English is an added language, because of this the site pulls the default language for the list (Japanese) and displays that. This was resolved on the old site design but whenever the current site design was launched a couple years ago this bug came with it, which has yet to be fixed by Sly. For now we require the English descriptions be added for people viewing the full guide directly as a temporary solution 

15 hours ago, ObsiEez said:

Hey, yeah the guide review queue has been pretty busy recently, however you'll find your guide has been published today! Nice work on it by the way :yay:

• Like 1

Alright, I've started working on the Shiness guide but I have a quick question.

Should I put a warning about trophies that were buggy when the game first launched in 2017? It's PS4 and Digital-only, so you'd have to be actively trying (and putting a lot of effort in) to not play on the patched game. There are absolutely no problems in the patched game and all trophies have been properly popping since the patch was released shortly after launch, again in 2017.

Dunno whether to add a warning to make sure you're on the latest patch, or whether that's unnecessary because (as mentioned) it'd be very difficult not to be?

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 11:07 AM, Kristycism said:

Alright, I've started working on the Shiness guide but I have a quick question.

Should I put a warning about trophies that were buggy when the game first launched in 2017? It's PS4 and Digital-only, so you'd have to be actively trying (and putting a lot of effort in) to not play on the patched game. There are absolutely no problems in the patched game and all trophies have been properly popping since the patch was released shortly after launch, again in 2017.

Dunno whether to add a warning to make sure you're on the latest patch, or whether that's unnecessary because (as mentioned) it'd be very difficult not to be?

For the specific buggy trophies you can make an opening statement or footnote explaining the problem and you can tag the trophies as buggy as well. Typically when making note of bugs it is written in red bold font.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know where else to post this but @BlindMango the trophy list on the trophy guide for Catherine is still in Japanese two years later after you said you'd speak to Sly about it and he would fix it. I know he's slow to sort things about this is kind of ridiculous. Is there any way for it to be fixed without having to wait for him to do it? https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6099-catherine-trophy-guide

8 hours ago, I-SilentEcho-I said:

I don't know where else to post this but @BlindMango the trophy list on the trophy guide for Catherine is still in Japanese two years later after you said you'd speak to Sly about it and he would fix it. I know he's slow to sort things about this is kind of ridiculous. Is there any way for it to be fixed without having to wait for him to do it? https://psnprofiles.com/guide/6099-catherine-trophy-guide

Sadly the Catherine guide is taking the "default" language from the trophy list, which for Catherine's case it was originally Japanese before it was English, so there's nothing I can do with the toold I have to fix that unfortunately. Hey @Sly Ripper with the old site layout guides pulled the English version and not the default version, any way to fix these kinds of guides to show English for the guide info?

Since I haven't found a guide for "The End is Nigh" I decided to put some work in it and wrote my second guide ever ( wrote a roadmap on my old account last year ).

It was way more work than expected in the first place, but hopefully it will come in handy to the community. Using so many guides from psnp that it's a cool opportunity to give something back. By far the best guide section in the web. 

Cheers, Davy = ) 

Edited by DavySuicide
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

I'm writing up the Batman: AO Trophy Guide, but I want to add the Initiation DLC to it as well. Any idea how I can do this? I saw the Roadmap allows me to tag the trophies for them, so I assume theres a way.

Unfortunately there's no way to add DLC trophies onto a base game trophy guide - each piece of DLC will need its own guide. Originally when we started the guide system we had all DLC trophies bundled with the main guide but figured out this was a bad idea because mostly people didn't want to keep up with the game for sometimes years later with the detail that would be required for the DLC trophies

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BlindMango said:

Unfortunately there's no way to add DLC trophies onto a base game trophy guide - each piece of DLC will need its own guide. Originally when we started the guide system we had all DLC trophies bundled with the main guide but figured out this was a bad idea because mostly people didn't want to keep up with the game for sometimes years later with the detail that would be required for the DLC trophies

For the DLC guide will it suffice if I just add a link or do I have to really break it down?

I was thinking of making a Challenge Guide supplement and go more in detail there, but what do you think?

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Burgins said:

Finally got round to picking up SO:FDR, anyone else have a guide in the works in it besides myself or should I be fine to continue with it? @BlindMango

Looks like you're the only one working on a guide for Star Ocean at the moment, you're good to go!

On 12/5/2019 at 6:18 PM, Roronora_Zoro666 said:

For the DLC guide will it suffice if I just add a link or do I have to really break it down?

I was thinking of making a Challenge Guide supplement and go more in detail there, but what do you think?

Hey, sorry for not replying to this one sooner - I saw it when you originally posted and forgot to come back to respond :facepalm: 

In this case since the DLC guide is just two trophies, it may not be needed to do a Initiation DLC guide because it may just end up saying "Click here to go to the Challenge Guide", or maybe another option would be to put all the medal information in the DLC guide and within the Challenge Guide too. Whichever format seems best I suppose, but if everything goes into the challenge guide, an Initiation DLC guide may not be necessary unless you find a way to make it useful enough to stand on its own :dunno:

2 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Hey, sorry for not replying to this one sooner - I saw it when you originally posted and forgot to come back to respond :facepalm: 

In this case since the DLC guide is just two trophies, it may not be needed to do a Initiation DLC guide because it may just end up saying "Click here to go to the Challenge Guide", or maybe another option would be to put all the medal information in the DLC guide and within the Challenge Guide too. Whichever format seems best I suppose, but if everything goes into the challenge guide, an Initiation DLC guide may not be necessary unless you find a way to make it useful enough to stand on its own :dunno:

The way I'm currently doing it is making a table with all Medal requirements and a picture with all medals earned above it. Then, have videos embedded in the table for each respective challenge. 

In the Challenge guide I'm working on, I plan on breaking down each individual challenge and give tips and a video shown rather than an embedded link. When it comes to the Combat, a video will suffice with a link to the Tips and Strategies section where I break down Gadgets and Variations. For the Campaign and Predator, I plan on going more in-depth with which modifiers to use and what each medal requires.

What do you think?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the massive resources on doing a guide. I want to start doing guides for Japanese games I love that I dont see a guide and want to start with something special to me - Azur Lane - hence want to do Crosswave.

Anyone else looking at doing this, or want to joint work on one?