100% Minecraft in 2023 ?

soverayn

Hello fellow hunters, 

I was looking through the list of points-heavy games just to bump up my account level and I came across Minecraft. I have a couple questions for those who have the plat and the 100% :

1) I see the game has a separate list for DLC 14,15,16. Is this also the case when playing on ps5 ?

2) I briefly read the posts here and if I understand correctly not all trophies are obtainable through the digital version ?

3) Are trophies realms still a thing and can I reliably use them to get 100% completion of the game ?

Thanks for your input !

31 minutes ago, soverayn said:

Hello fellow hunters, 

I was looking through the list of points-heavy games just to bump up my account level and I came across Minecraft. I have a couple questions for those who have the plat and the 100% :

1) I see the game has a separate list for DLC 14,15,16. Is this also the case when playing on ps5 ?

2) I briefly read the posts here and if I understand correctly not all trophies are obtainable through the digital version ?

3) Are trophies realms still a thing and can I reliably use them to get 100% completion of the game ?

Thanks for your input !

1) The PS5 does not have its own trophy list but as for those extra DLCS you can get the normal 100% on PS4 and then delete that extra list if you do not want to commit too potential never ending DLC.

2) Yes, you would need a retail disk copy with Diamond Steve on the game cover in order to get access to the mini-games portion of the game if I remember that correctly, I'm sure somebody else can confirm this.

3) Yes they're still a thing in, I'm pretty sure there was a user on here who has a realm, and it makes the game a cakewalk.

Edited by TheRetroManiac
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, TheRetroManiac said:

1) The PS5 does not have its own trophy list but as for those extra DLCs, you can get the normal 100% on PS4 then delete that extra list if you do not want to commit too potential never ending DLC.

2) Yes, you would need a retail disk copy with Diamond Steve on the game cover in order to get access to the mini-games portion of the game if I remember that correctly, I'm sure somebody else can confirm this.

3) Yes they're still a thing in, I'm pretty sure there was a user on here who has a realm, and it makes the game a cakewalk.

This^

Just to add to this:

1: The secondary list only appears when you earn in a trophy in it so if you avoid those DLCs, you will never see it.

2: The 100% is only possible with a specific retail version of the game but even then, you may have to use exploits to get the Legacy menu to appear so you can access the MP.

3: Trophy realms make the Plat and 100% a complete joke but you still have to do the MP trophies and the 100 days trophy legit.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, soverayn said:

Hello fellow hunters, 

Thanks for your input !

A word of caution about trophy realms. They are awesome but the one I joined popped trophies for the second trophy list that I had no intention of starting upon entering the realm. While I am grateful for the realm I was and still am done with Minecraft and beyond ready to be done with it. Since I have the second list now. I have to check back every few months to see if any new DLC trophies were added.

If you are set on doing Minecraft, you might want to do the PS3 edition. The MP trophies can be more easily soloed and to my knowledge CookiestMonster on this site still hosts trophy realms. Plus, it has stopped receiving updates so you don't need to keep checking for new trophies. 

11 minutes ago, da-Noob123 said:

A word of caution about trophy realms. They are awesome but the one I joined popped trophies for the second trophy list that I had no intention of starting upon entering the realm. While I am grateful for the realm I was and still am done with Minecraft and beyond ready to be done with it. Since I have the second list now. I have to check back every few months to see if any new DLC trophies were added.

If you are set on doing Minecraft, you might want to do the PS3 edition. The MP trophies can be more easily soloed and to my knowledge CookiestMonster on this site still hosts trophy realms. Plus, it has stopped receiving updates so you don't need to keep checking for new trophies. 

CookiestMonster isn't allowed to promote his any more so use Fill Fill's Realm instead: Tnaxceegumu

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TheRetroManiac said:

9 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

2: The 100% is only possible with a specific retail version of the game but even then, you may have to use exploits to get the Legacy menu to appear so you can access the MP.

noted for when i get minecraft (i am a physical guy) if at all, still surprised Mojang did it on purpose tho

58 minutes ago, megacoolermensch said:

hello i join fills realm then i sink down into a hole and get stuck

i am doing things wrong who can assist me please?

PM him and ask for assistance that way, because I don't think he follows these forums that often.

2 minutes ago, CookiestMonsterr said:

nobody is allowed to promote trophy realms without warning every trophy forum on this website has been deleted and this forum will probably be deleted soon 

@Squirlruler Can you shed any light on this?

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.

On 1/18/2023 at 0:08 AM, TheRetroManiac said:

1) The PS5 does not have its own trophy list but as for those extra DLCS you can get the normal 100% on PS4 and then delete that extra list if you do not want to commit too potential never ending DLC.

If you owned the digital copy before the transition over to bedrock, it is still possible to enter the editions mode and do mini games. There could be some other reason this works for me, such as still having worlds on editions mode that I haven't transferred to bedrock. But regardless, it's still possible to get the mini games trophies one way or another, just probably not worth the effort.

Thank you all for your answers. I don't think I'll pursue Minecraft in the end as it seems complicated to both get the 100% while avoiding the extra trophy list and I don't want to risk my perfect account. Does anyone know manageable high points games I could do instead ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sicho said:

It seems complicated but it isn't that complicated once you get it explained properly.

What you need to understand is that Minecraft isn't simply Minecraft. Minecraft exists in many different versions or editions.

"Minecraft Java Edition" (formerly known as just "Minecraft") is the original version of the game for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Minecraft on Consoles was generally called "Console Edition" but every version for every platform had its own name, which basically said on which platform it was on. There was "Minecraft PlayStation 3 Edition", "Minecraft PlayStation 4 Edition", "Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition"... you get the gist. I think there were six or seven "Console Editions". They were a bit different from the "Java" versions of the game in that they had a simplified crafting system, were usually one or two content updates behind the PC version, and had some other technological differences.

There was also the "Pocket Edition" for mobiles. There was also a separate "Windows 10 Edition"... in short: there were many Editions ;) That's why the community (and the trophy descriptions) refer to them simply as "Editions".

Now at some point, they decided to do a thing called the "Better Together" update. The aim was to merge multiple platforms under a single version of Minecraft and add cross-platform compatibility.

On most versions, like "Pocket Edition" or "Windows 10 Edition", the "Better Together" update was just that - an update. But it was released as a separate version of Minecraft for the Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4, known in the community as the "Bedrock Edition" since it runs on the "Bedrock" engine.

For PlayStation 4 players (and PS5 players as well because so far, you can only play the PS4 version on PS5, there is no native PS5 version yet), it means that there exist two versions of Minecraft for PS4. The old "Minecraft PlayStation 4 Edition", simply called "Editions" and the new "Minecraft", which we will refer to as "Bedrock". 

So far, so clear?

Now, what does that mean for the trophies?

Well, the majority of the trophies (there are actually two trophy lists now since Minecraft got so many expansions that one list isn't enough anymore) are obtainable without any issues.

This means you can get a huge amount of trophies by playing Minecraft. If trophy count is what matters to you and not the completion rate, it is absolutely worth it. Especially if you consider that at some point there might be a native PS5 version coming (idk if anything like that has been announced yet, it's entirely possible that it won't happen since Minecraft is now owned by Microsoft. But then again, their cross-platform support so far has been exemplary) which could have Auto-Pop... and also, since the game is simply good if you like that kinda game.

But there are some trophies where the description says "Editions only" (I think they are all Multiplayer trophies btw)

To get those you need to play "Editions", not "Bedrock".

The thing is, on PlayStation 4, both versions are part of a single piece of software. So there is a button is available on the main menu to toggle between editions.
Sounds easy, right? PS4 owners simply own both versions and can switch between them.
Well not quite...

I personally have Minecraft digitally and in the main menu I can switch around between the old "Edition" and the new "Bedrock". But I own the game more or less since release,

The issue is that AFAIK this switching between versions is only available for people who had the game digitally before "Bedrock" came out. (December 2019)
That's why people in this thread say if you don't own it yet, you will need to find a physical copy of the old version because when you buy digitally, it will be (apparently because I cannot test it myself) "Bedrock" only.

So, in summary:

If you own Minecraft PS4 digitally and you owned it before Bedrock came out, you have both "Editions" and "Bedrock" and can switch between them, so technically every trophy is achievable.

If you own Minecraft PS4 digitally but bought it after the Bedrock release, it seems that you cannot switch anymore, so you cannot get every trophy.

If you have a physical release of Minecraft, and it s the pre-Bedrock edition, the game will update but provide a button for switching, so you also own both versions then, all trophies are achievable.

If you have a more recent physical release, it is already Bedrock and you cannot switch, so not every trophy is achievable.

What to look for if you want to buy it physically.

This is the cover of the old "Edition" that should net you access to both versions

Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition: playstation_4: Video Games - Amazon.ca

The new cover looks like this and this is "Bedrock" only

Buy PS4 Minecraft Starter Collection (PS4) Online at Low Prices in India |  Sony Video Games - Amazon.in

All that being said: Minecraft has currently 138 obtainable trophies and of those 138, only 13 are "Editions" only. So less than a tenth. You will also get the Platinum as the unobtainable ones are DLC trophies.
Again, if you are looking to add a lot of trophies (and a Plat) to your profile and aren't looking for completion, you are getting a lot of value here.  Especially if you like the game, because you will then play for hundreds of hours probably so you will not only get a lot of trophies, you will also have a great time. If you value completion, you can get 100% theoretically, but only if you buy the old retail version (unless you already own the game digitally and bought it before December 2019. But I don't even think that is good enough, I think you also need to have played it at least once before Dec 2019)

But even if you don't like the game, you could theoretically, like others already told you, connect to someone else's Minecraft World and enter a so-called "Trophy World". Those are worlds that people built that are made for easy unlocking of trophies by giving you the required tools or items, putting you in the necessary circumstances, and so on. Theoretically, you can unlock dozens and dozens of trophies in an hour or so.

For example the trophy "The End?" requires you to enter an End Portal. Now building an End Portal in Minecraft isn't necessarily hard, but it can be quite time-consuming. However, if you enter someone's world who already has built an Enderportal, you simply enter their portal and the trophy unlocks. That is, in short, how these trophy worlds work.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Thanks for the excellent write-up. 

Thank you everybody, especially @Sicho for the excellent explanation on the Editions issue (I own the physical Diamond Steve version) and @CookiestMonsterr (pnfoctkanzg; got all trophies except "Overkill" and "Where have you been?") and @Fill_Fill (tnaxceegumu; got the two missing trophies) for their trophy realms. Impressive work! Now all that is left is the 100-days trophy.

Edited by Hirnforscher
Correction
  • Like 1