Anyone else dealing with frequent crashes?

Joe Dubz

I just started this game a few days ago. Absolutely love it, save for so much crashing! We are talking like 6 crashes over a 3 hour period. Nothing crazy is happening onscreen, I'm just walking through the overworld, then without warning it's gone...

I'm playing the PS4 version (only one currently available) on PS5, so that's the only thing I can think of that might be an issue?

EDIT: From the feedback we've gathered here, it seems just about everyone playing on ps5 has dealt with crashing issues (albeit some of us more than others!). You may want to consider playing on ps4 if you plan to start this soon. 

EDIT 2: Changing your PS5 settings to 1080p may help. I've also not had any issues other than the area outside of Mudtooth's hut. The crashes I was having seemed to be focused on that area in particular. Other users have found this method useful, so try this if nothing else!

Edited by Joe Dubz
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HuntingFever said:

That sounds like a PS5 backwards compatibility issue to me, because I got the Plat and most of the DLC trophies a few weeks ago and had maybe 1 crash in 70hrs of playing this on a base PS4.

I appreciate the input bud! I may have to dust my PS4 off then and bring it back downstairs... Much to my wife's chagrin ?

7 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Yeah, gonna agree with Hunting Fever here.  I played this game long after the plat and it never crashed once on the PS4

Thank you kindly for the feedback here!

1 minute ago, gruffiiti said:

Been playing this with 2 others over the last few months and we are all using PS5. Crashes happen a lot more than they should for sure but its not unplayable. Ive had maybe 2 crashes in 50+ hrs of play but I have had the fewest crashes of our group for sure.

So weird, makes you wonder why it's worse for some of us than others!! At any rate, the game is mad fun so if it keeps up, I'm just gonna bust out the ol' ps4 from retirement for a bit lol. Thanks for your input bud!

1 minute ago, Joe Dubz said:

So weird, makes you wonder why it's worse for some of us than others!! At any rate, the game is mad fun so if it keeps up, I'm just gonna bust out the ol' ps4 from retirement for a bit lol. Thanks for your input bud!

I'd likely do the same if I was getting higher crash rates. I kept my ol' Pro for this reason and cause I was too lazy to re-hook my VR up to the PS5. :P

Who knows.. maybe see ya online sometime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I played the game over 60 hours on my ps4 and it never crashed. After a year i decided to play it again but on my ps5 for 5 hours. The game crashed twice on ps5. I agree to the backwards compatibility being the issue.

Okay cool, thanks!! Def seems like that is the culprit, seeing as it seems to happen to everyone playing on ps5 so far! 

3 minutes ago, gruffiiti said:

I'd likely do the same if I was getting higher crash rates. I kept my ol' Pro for this reason and cause I was too lazy to re-hook my VR up to the PS5. :P

Who knows.. maybe see ya online sometime.

Right on dude!! Been keeping it offline but I was gonna flip it over sooner or later... Mayhaps we shall meet out in the wild!!! Cheers and thanks again my friend :D

I'm gonna add an edit to the OP just stating it's most likely a backwards compatibility issue, given the feedback thus far. 

4 hours ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Have you tried disabling the boost mode?

I did not realize there was one!! I'll give that a try later when I'm on and report back afterwards. It kept crashing in the same overworld area on Earth last night, so shouldn't be hard to do lol. 

Thx for the tip!

Edited by Joe Dubz

35 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Ah I just looked and it seems it can't be disabled on the PS5, sorry :(

Hey no worries bud. I still appreciate it nonetheless ?

Trying to toggle different resolutions to see if that helps. No luck so far tho... 

32 minutes ago, Dark_Overlord said:

Boost mode was also on the PS4 Pro, it could be disabled (and was recommended for some games as it caused tons of problems)

Okay right, a friend mentioned that being a feature there so that makes sense!

30 minutes ago, Tempestad_cl said:

The game crashes a lot while in multiplayer, but no solo. Also, i don't remember crashing during survival multiplayer.

Got 100% on ps5.

Interesting, you are very lucky to not have issues! I have only been playing offline/solo this entire time.

Some things I've come to realize so far: It happens most frequently outside of Mudtooth's hut. Like 7x there but I only had it crash two other times. Which were also on Earth just above ground. I've had 0 issues so far with the dungeons interestingly enough!

I tried adjusting the resolution settings, as my buddy @Infected Elite mentioned something about 4k possibly being the culprit! So far, running 1080i has worked without issue (no such luck with 1080p sadly). I'll be sure to keep the thread updated as time progresses!

• Like 2

Okay, I figured I'd check back in here. I've put in probably 10 hours at least since my last comment here. And I have had.... 0 issues with crashes!! I'm not sure if changing to 1080p on my PS5 helped, or mayhaps it was just that one area outside of Mudtooth's hut. Either way, been running beautifully otherwise since then. I updated the OP to reflect this as well. 

Edited by Joe Dubz

On 2023-01-24 at 1:52 PM, Joe Dubz said:

Okay, I figured I'd check back in here. I've put in probably 10 hours at least since my last comment here. And I have had.... 0 issues with crashes!! I'm not sure if changing to 1080p on my PS5 helped, or mayhaps it was just that one area outside of Mudtooth's hut. Either way, been running beautifully otherwise since then. I updated the OP to reflect this as well. 

Some good news. I had heard that most of the crashes seem to happen in the overworld on earth for others too. Hopefully its smooth sailing for the rest for you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 8:52 PM, Joe Dubz said:

can you let me know how did you change that? I want to play this game but I get crashes on my PS5 every 2-5min after joining game.

I love to play those games in coop so would love solution. When I play solo there is zero issues...

1 minute ago, Suporex said:

can you let me know how did you change that? I want to play this game but I get crashes on my PS5 every 2-5min after joining game.

I love to play those games in coop so would love solution. When I play solo there is zero issues...

Hmm... I am sorry to say that all of my time spent here was playing solo. I am not sure what you could do to try and help there! You can try changing your PS5 HD settings, I went with 1080p and it seemed to happen less frequently IMO.

Otherwise, for me it was really just 1 or 2 areas in the game that were acting fickle. Most notably, the area outside of Mudtooth's hut. Hope that helps!

3 hours ago, Suporex said:

Just so people know. I lowered resolution on PS5 to 1080p and was playing 3 days coop mostly and zero crashes.

Easy fix it seems for now.

Nice, glad to know!! I had luck going that route too... I'll update the OP to make it a little more clear for others to try this!

Lets make sure to thank @Infected Elite, who suggested that method! Thanks buddy ?

Edited by Joe Dubz
giving thanks where it is due!
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...