Impossible mode?

dougrayman

What's impossible mode? Same as before, just highest difficulty?

Impossible mode is the higest diffculty in the original Dead Space game. More Info about the mode: https://deadspace.fandom.com/wiki/Impossible_mode

Did they add anything?

Unknown. The remake is not out yet. Neither is details for this mode.

Is it available from the start or you have to beat the game?

On the original Dead Space you needed to complete the game on any difficulty. On the remake the unlock conditions are unknown.

Can it be done in ng+?

Unknown. The remake is not out yet but on the original Dead Space NG+ wasn't NG+ (in the normal sense). Whatever difficulty you completed the game on and then started NG+ was what teh difficulty of NG+. Clear a game on Normal then start NG+, you'll be on Normal NG+.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SecondGenesis said:

Impossible is the hardest difficulty, and permadeath

Has the permadeath thing been confirmed ?

The original Dead Space from 2008 didn't have permadeath - Impossible Difficulty was just a "very hard" mode but with unlimited saves and checkpoints.

It was actually quite easy to finish with good knowledge of the game and some preparation for harder encounters.

13 minutes ago, Tyxoune said:

The original Dead Space from 2008 didn't have permadeath - Impossible Difficulty was just a "very hard" mode but with unlimited saves and checkpoints.

It was actually quite easy to finish with good knowledge of the game and some preparation for harder encounters.

Found this saying that it's been confirmed: https://gagadget.com/en/games/177362-remake-not-remaster-new-game-modes-and-extra-missions-the-senior-producer-of-the-dead-space-remake-shared-new-detai/

They shared their source in the article (https://www.ppe.pl/publicystyka/306842/dlaczego-remake-a-nie-remaster-rozmawiamy-z-producentem-dead-space-remake-o-pelnym-odswiezeniu-gry-ea.html) but I can't speak to its legitimacy (it's in another language).

Although, while I was trying to find another source, I found someone on resetera also referencing it (https://www.resetera.com/threads/dead-space-original-vs-remake-ign.661990/post-99122425).

Edited by SH06UN5126
Second URL was wrong
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Tyxoune said:

I found this the other day and the source is in the link below it. **HOPEFULY** we will be able to use game saves to mitigate this, otherwise it may be very near 'impossible' especially with that stupid turret sequence and another spot or two I can think of. That and the fact that they've randomized some enemy encounters while backtracking, in order to keep players on their toes.This may just be the toughest Dead Space plat yet!

"The remake will feature New Game+ mode, which will make the game even harder and more diverse with repeated playthroughs providing more challenging monsters. Fans of the maximum difficulty will be able to use the Impossible Mode, in which after the death of the hero the game will start over."

https://gagadget.com/en/games/177362-remake-not-remaster-new-game-modes-and-extra-missions-the-senior-producer-of-the-dead-space-remake-shared-new-detai-amp/

EDIT: Just noticed this is the same link the poster above me cited as well.

Edited by DETfaninATL

Lol never mind

Like others have said, I can't find anything else verifying it. I can find multiple articles confirming it only unlocks after beating the game once through "normally", and that item drops are scarse/necromorph hit hard, but nothing about permadeath. GInfinity and game8 mention nothing of permadeath, as well as a bunch of other sites I'm less familiar with. Some people are saying there is a creative director interview confirming it, though. We'll see soon enough...

Edited by PhantomFear94

On 1/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, SH06UN5126 said:

They shared their source in the article (https://www.ppe.pl/publicystyka/306842/dlaczego-remake-a-nie-remaster-rozmawiamy-z-producentem-dead-space-remake-o-pelnym-odswiezeniu-gry-ea.html) but I can't speak to its legitimacy (it's in another language).

"[...] będziesz mógł także sprawdzić Impossible Mode, w którym jeśli zginiesz, to będziesz musiał rozpoczynać zabawę od początku”.

Loosely translated: If you die, you'll have to start over from the beginning.

Edited by HardModeTrophies
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, HardModeTrophies said:

"[...] będziesz mógł także sprawdzić Impossible Mode, w którym jeśli zginiesz, to będziesz musiał rozpoczynać zabawę od początku”.

Loosely translated: If you die, you'll have to start the game from the beginning.

If there is no save allowed, that would be really dumb. I had no problem with Dead space 2 on xbox 360 because they gave us 3 saves so we could do a 2-3 hours session before saving and moving on BUT if they expect people to play 8-12 hours in a row, that's retarded. I would rather see a trophy for doing a no hit run with limited saves than this. I am waiting for Powerpyx to confirm what it's all about.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zeifink said:

Just started the game. You can select impossible from the start. It says:

"A special challenge mode. Completing it will earn a unique suit and weapon.This mode has the same damage settings as Hard Difficulty , but autosaves are disabled; only one save slot is available. and one life. Dying prompts a full restart, or continuing on Hard Difficulty."

Fucking yikes.

14 minutes ago, zeifink said:

"A special challenge mode. Completing it will earn a unique suit and weapon.This mode has the same damage settings as Hard Difficulty , but autosaves are disabled; only one save slot is available. and one life. Dying prompts a full restart, or continuing on Hard Difficulty."

Sounds like it can be save scummed, the "one save slot" to me implies you're still able to leave the game and come back to it by loading your one save file and that only death itself resets your save to the start.

Part of me understands where people come from when they say it a slight shame when permadeath modes can be save scummed but I also really appreciate permadeath games that don't have to be done in one sitting due to lack of a pause/resume functionality, we don't all have time to play entire games in one sitting after all. The unfortunate side-effect to pause/resume functionality is save scumming usually becomes possible.

I don't know how long Dead Space is, but the longer the game the more essential having the ability to save and quit becomes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, zeifink said:

Can you save multiple times on that one save slot though? Cause if that's the case then you can somewhat exploit this by uploading the save to the cloud storage every 15 minutes for example and if you die you download it back to the console.

2 hours ago, zeifink said:

Hold up. One life and one save; are you sure and can you test? I thought they'd imitate Dead Space 3's hardest difficulty feature: one life w/ infinite saves as long as you stay alive. Your description would make this more strict than anything in the original trilogy. I assume it at least shares the same logic of allowing you to quit the game and resume save like in DS3, given it's not actually a death.

Edited by EcoShifter

8 minutes ago, EcoShifter said:

Hold up. One life and one save; are you sure and can you test? I thought they'd imitate Dead Space 3's hardest difficulty features, which is one life w/ infinite saves as long as you stay alive. Your description would make this more strict than anything in the original trilogy. I assume it at least shares the same logic of allowing you to quit the game and resume save like in DS3 given it's not actually a death.

He said one life and one save slot, which sounds closer to DS3's hardest difficulty. The description implies you can save over that one slot as many times as you want as long as you don't die.

Edited by Cloud_Squall78
Added text