No longer works on OG models

Ancestral_Spirit

Much like with the PS3 LA Noire, Dead Space 3 does not work on the 60g original PS3 model.

Not sure if it ever did, but it certainly doesn't now.

You boot up and get as far as pressing the start button for it to install trophy data. At which point the console will do 3 beeps, power down and the red light on your playstation will flash. Every time. ?

Has anyone made a master list for this sorta thing yet? Cos I'm wondering now just how many games this affects.

Gna have to go out and buy myself another slim PS3 just so my partner and I can do the co-op together.

better get the console into a repair shop for cleaning and a check up before its too late and if you have an original model plz stop using it they become more rare by the day get a slim or super slim to play on and keep the original fat ps3 on the side wile it works because this model is doomed to die sooner or later

4 hours ago, MrHealthy said:

Beeping 3 times then turning off and flashing a light is a hardware failure or overheating.

49 minutes ago, A210221100 said:

better get the console into a repair shop for cleaning and a check up before its too late and if you have an original model plz stop using it they become more rare by the day get a slim or super slim to play on and keep the original fat ps3 on the side wile it works because this model is doomed to die sooner or later

It's nothing to do with that in this case, certain games just don't work on OG models.  LA Noire is another prime example.

20 minutes ago, pavelbagirov said:

Hi. It’s some strange PS3 problem. Faced it too. In some games ps3 just shutting down without reason. Possible console is too old or some technical problems inside,not sure. It’s always shutting down on Moh Warfighter for example but you can play hours mgs5 and all fine. Weird.

There was a system software update on PS3 consoles a while back.

Can't remember which update it was, but it was a later update after the PS4 came out.

Since then there have been a few PS3 games that simply don't work on older PS3 consoles.

L.A. Noire was the one that caught my attention, but it is by no means the only game that's stopped working sadly. Seems like you've found a couple more. ?

4 hours ago, MrHealthy said:

Beeping 3 times then turning off and flashing a light is a hardware failure or overheating.

Boy do I wish that was what the problem was, it'd be an easy fix.

Sadly no, and I'm not the only one with this issue with Dead Space 3:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Other-Dead-Space-Games/PS3-Deadspace-3-crash/td-p/474406/page/16

Bear in mind that's page 16 regarding this issue, and quite a few are from this year.  ?

Edited by Ancestral_Spirit

34 minutes ago, MrHealthy said:

People in that thread you posted have experienced the issue on literally every PS3 model. So clearly its an issue with Dead Space 3 in particular and not the OG models.

But you were telling me a moment ago that it was just my PS3 overheating?

From what I read in that, the posts that were complaining about it more recently were using the OG models.

Either way, Dead Space 3 regardless of model, seems to just be utterly fucked. :/

29 minutes ago, Ancestral_Spirit said:

But you were telling me a moment ago that it was just my PS3 overheating?

Or hardware failure. In this case I suspect something about DS3 is causing the GPU to fail as the GPU failing is a common reason for the system to shut off, beep, and flash red.

EDIT: Could also be the nec tokin capacitors. If DS3 is drawning on the cell a lot during startup and the nec tokin capacitors are dying and can't deliver enough power it will hard shutdown. I know other 'newer' games have caused this in the past as well.

Edited by MrHealthy
  • Like 1