Is the term 'Gamer' derogatory?

DrBloodmoney

Anyone else get a bit of an internal recoil at being called a 'gamer' just cause they play games?

I watch movies and read books, but people don't go around labelling me a 'Movie-er' or a 'Reader' but for aome reason non-game-playing folks seem to love to put people who play games into a catergory...

Just wondered how people felt about it? Are you happy to be known as a 'Gamer' to non-gaming folks?

I wish people called me a gamer, I usually get called things that would be censored here ... :(

In all seriousness, I don't find the term gamer to be a bad thing. I would suggest the reason people use the term is that people used to love to call themselves gamers when they spent more time playing on pc than other media

Look at it these days, people call themselves trophy hunters, which makes me cringe a lot more, and is even more catergorisation

• Like 1

For me games are equal to books or movies in case of telling story and emotions

And thats why ppl read books and watch movies right.

So if anyone have anything against games he just dont know what he is loosing :)

Edited by Gwinambele

We are gamers after all, would you prefer to be called something else?

Some people do associate gaming with being nerdy, I'm not very keen on stereotypes other than that I have no problem with being a gamer. Call me whatever you like!

:dunno:

I have been made fun of because I read comics and manga.

Because I watch anime (cartoons mostly sucks).

And because I play videogames.

Point is, that some folks, growing up, leave behind every fun thing they had when they were young, and they are probably envious of whoever still has the time for their favorite hobbies.

Or they are simply stupid and think that being adults means to have fun as a "grown up". Whatever that could mean.

• Like 1

Where I live, they don't even call you a gamer. You are just labeled either a nerd, a geek, or a coward for staying inside. :shakefist:

Then all of a sudden the word geek became cool cause of those dumbass pill-poppers who say they get "geeked up". <_<

Edited by -Dark Mark-
  • Like 1

I guess the reson it bothers me is because of work life - all my friends know I love games, and im fine with that, I recoil at the term gamer because if the negative-stereotype were to start bleeding into my work circles it could potentially put off clients, who may (wrongly) still cling to the notion that 'gamers' are 15 year old spotty students playing Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto in thier pants, while smoking weed all day and sleeping until the afternoon! :-S

I don't find it rude or derogatory, people feel the need to categorize others and label them so they're easier to deal with, goths, emos, chavs, ect no matter what you are, you'll be labelled, luckily atm; there isn't a huge social stigma about being a gamer, like there was 30 years ago, now everyone is a gamer in some way, mobile gaming, wii, console gaming, PC's ect ect, the only people who look down on gamers are the ignorant; if they're ignorant about a certain subject, their opinion on that subject shouldn't even be valued in any sense. 

I'd only find it rude if they used it in a rude sense, like "oh he wouldn't know what exercise is, he's a gamer" then it would be rude lol but other then that, I don't find it derogatory.

Look at it these days, people call themselves trophy hunters, which makes me cringe a lot more, and is even more catergorisation

No it's the same thing, categorization is still categorization, and some people literally are just trophy hunters; they buy games for plats and then sell them again, you know that already, but you get my point. Calling yourself a trophy hunter is a valid thing imo. No difference in the categorization at all, just the title.   

I find it a point of pride to be called gamer. I get more fed up being called a Millennial because I was born after 1980, just because people use it in an accusatory and generalizing tone. That's a different subject altogether.

Ive never heard the term Millenial in that context before - must be a US thing!

Ive never heard the term Millenial in that context before - must be a US thing!

It is I think. People in US media find it amusing and convenient to label generations with names. For instance, people born just after WW2 are Baby Boomers, people born between 1960 and the early 80s are Generation X. Now anyone born after 1980 are Millennials, and every time I hear that word come out of someone's mouth I immediately disregard whatever opinion they have.

Eh...it's the truth though.  We play games, therefore we are gamers.  I can understand the fear of being stereotyped as a person who only play games and doesn't work, but if the people around you know you are not that type of person, then there shouldn't be a problem. 

• Like 1

Oddly enough, people in my (real) social life do not affiliate me with games. Though, many of them wouldn't know how much time I actually spend playing games.

To answer your question, no, I don't find it derogatory. As with everything there are stereotypes tied into it; there is no avoiding that. At some point or another someone is going to judge you negatively on your decisions, interests, hobbies, etc.

Edited by HighOnStardust

I don't mind it so long as they don't mean it in an insulting way. Unlike most people I know I have a hard time trying to get invested in movies, TV shows, and books like them. I find myself wanting to talk about a game as much as someone else would Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones, but I try not to talk about one if they don't seem interested.

I don't find it derogatory, much like how I've been called and have referred to myself as a 'reader' before as well.

It's when they say it with a sneer and imply that I'm just a lazy ass kid because I like video games it gets to me. Then I point out how much time they spend doing nothing while watching TV.

“Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis

• Like 1

also, people who read lots of books are called book worms ;) not sure if there is anything for movie fans

Movie fans are called buffs.

I don't have a problem with the gamer label, though in my youth (high school in the late 80s), you'd never admit it publicly.

It's only in recent years I've 'come out' as a gamer to my schoolmates on Facebook and I couldn't give a flickety fuck what those stupid, fat, bald pricks think these days. I, on the other hand, have remained youthful and exuberant because I haven't indulged in the same toxic vices of my peers (food, drugs, alcohol, sloth) and instead honed my reflexes and kept my brain engaged by playing video games.

Gaming's also a fantastic way to connect with my kids and I hope to maintain that common ground well into their adulthood, so I'll continue to wear the gamer tag with pride.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 1