Are the BAD reviews true? Or just haters?

SuchRemorse

34 minutes ago, Elvick_ said:

Can you believe people use marketing material made to sell customers on a product as a metric to determine if they're interested in something? The audacity! 

I wasn't criticizing people for having a bad opinion of it from the demo, I didn't like the demo either it made me lose all hype immediately. I was just commenting on how most reviewers are useless since they tend to try and stick to general public opinion to be safe and that it's unfortunate because if things were different more people could've discovered the game to be better than the demo.

• Like 2

I think there’s a lot of reasonable stuff to dislike in the game based on my time with the demo- wouldn’t be so quick to call people who dislike it “haters” as though they’re seeking to hate it and not just disliking their experience.

Enjoy the games you like to the fullest, regardless of the numbers!

• Like 2

I played the "full" game a year and a half ago, rated it 1/10 and told them it should be canceled.

They choose not to but from what i see there are not many improvements made in 16 months. Stupid game design decisions are still there, the story is terrible, the open world is empty like no other game ive played (even early stage ps3).

Apart from the story, i think all there issues come from this luminous engine. They seem to struggle to build what you could do in like 3 lines of code using unreal engine. They have to get ride of that thing. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

IMO, ACG's review, perfectly encapsulates the general reception, which is: There are elements which work and are fun but the insufferable main character, dreadful dialogue and boring gameplay that gets old fast, drags everything else down and stops it from being anything other than a disappointment and to wait for a deep sale before buying it.

I agree that the ACG review does echo what others reviews are saying. However, as I play through the game I don't agree that the MC is insufferable or that the dialogue is dreadful or that the gameplay gets old fast. I admit that I could be too early into the game for it to feel old. I've just unlocked the ability to upgrade skill from the closet.

The denizens of Athi speak how I expect in a fantasy land. Those in power are judgemental, quick to jump to conclusions, but with one or two lenient ones. Frey speaks in a modern way because she is a modern person and has A LOT of quips and terse one-liners when she first mets some people. She generally softens up to some and is less rude. Cuff, even though no one can hear him, has snide comments about new people as well. The two together just collide but in a fun way. It feels more like playful banter than fighting between the two. Maybe I am just used to that style of performance being a fan of comedy duos/manzai.

Was the demo a special build of the game? It feels like a different experience to me. The performance is way better, lighting and contrast isn't as saturated even without tweaking for my TV, and the pacing feels more structured than checking off 5 things from a list.

My gripes with the game so far is the skilling upgrading system, them not giving Frey a good reason to even want to return to New York, and that the Break's impact on Athia isn't consistent and is a bit nonsencial.  It is the same issue I have with Attack on Titan. It feels like they wanted first monsters and humans on the brink of death, then created some plot device to around that situation.. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Allhelluja said:

If you're going to play it anyway, why bother caring?

Quite frankly, I think "hater" is one of the stupidest word going around in this reddit/twitter lingo era (that and "literally"): if someone doesn't like a thing, it doesn't automatically mean they hate it; besides, even if they did, what about it?

Play the game and see for yourself, and sorry for the rant.

If you are going to eat dinner at a new restaurant that just opened near you and your friend just ate there...... Would you ask how the food is? Even though you are still going? Or would you just stare blankly at them and proceed with with your meal not caring what your friend thought because you are going anyway? 

• Like 2

If you're going to play it anyway, why bother caring?

Quite frankly, I think "hater" is one of the stupidest word going around in this reddit/twitter lingo era (that and "literally"): if someone doesn't like a thing, it doesn't automatically mean they hate it; besides, even if they did, what about it?

Play the game and see for yourself, and sorry for the rant.

That's not what being a hater means and you know it, it's just not just disliking something but making their sole objective to bring something down and sometimes it's completely unjustified, so OP question stands, not everyone has 80$ to throw around with something they don't know if it's worth, and why the rant is beyond me, just don't reply if the question bothered you, it's not like it was directed at you or anything. 

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 1

Looks like the kind of game I'll pick up randomly on a long rainy weekend after I've finished or gotten tired of a few other things first.  From what I've seen, I think there's some genuine humor and story in there... albeit wrapped in kind of a boring open world package.

Is it kind of a dumb word that overgeneralizes?  Sure.  But the idea of bandwagon hating meme-able games is very common these days.  It's misleading at best and kind of a gross practice in general that people do for the likes.

Edited by Dreakon13

45 minutes ago, SpaceIsDandy said:

Are reviewers my friend who knows my general taste? Or are the reviewers random people who know nothing about me?

Exactly. Just because your friend didn't like it absolutely does not mean you won't either. Personal taste is all subjective. People are getting too lazy to think for themselves anymore and want other people to make up their minds for them it seems like. You don't need other peoples opinions, only your own. 

Edited by mega-tallica

I'll post what I posted on gamefaqs.

Everyone should be happy that reviewers value different aspects of a game. Everyone should be wary of anything that seeks to "average" those values (<ahem> I'm looking at you, Metacritic).

If you find a review site that values the same aspects of a game that you do, you've got a great source of information moving forward. If you know that a site does not value the same aspects as you, you can safely ignore them.

I remember that people were up in arms because of a recent eurogamer review of Persona 4. Specifically, the reviewer criticized the game for what he felt were homophobic and misogynistic elements, and of course, gamers cried foul. But I'm happy that such a review exists, and that it lays bare its charges. It doesn't appeal to me, but I'm sure it appeals to someone.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 3