Are the BAD reviews true? Or just haters?

SuchRemorse

16 minutes ago, Maxemole said:

A general opinion can't even exist before the reviews because no one except for the reviewers have played the game by the embargo time.

Cute, you think people actually play games before having opinions on them. xD

While I kind of agree with you, reviewers want clicks and views as much as anyone.  And heaven knows the cynical, passive aggressive, commiserating internet hivemind just link YouTube videos and articles now, instead of that whole pesky "having or learning how to articulate their own thoughts" thing.  So pandering to them can't hurt as long as it looks believable.

I half kid...

The only reason I put critic reviews above user reviews, is because they at least have to try and back up their opinions a little bit.  But ultimately all reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 3

Just now, Dreakon13 said:

While I kind of agree with you, reviewers want clicks and views as much as anyone.  And heaven knows the cynical, passive aggressive, commiserating internet hivemind just link YouTube videos and articles now, instead of that whole pesky "having or learning how to articulate their own thoughts" thing.  So pandering to them can't hurt as long as it looks believable.  I half kid...

The only reason I put critic reviews above user reviews, is because they at least have to try and back up their opinions a little bit.  But ultimately all reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

They should be taken with a grain of salt, no doubt, but I disagree with the thought that they all pander to some general opinion.

In the end, it's up to you to like or dislike the game.

If it looks interesting to you, you should try it. (Even if it's just the demo).

Do not let reviewers decide for you; but perhaps only give you a broader perspective of the current state of the game.

I played like 2 hours of it, and I can see why there are negative reviews... THOUGH, I'm still enjoying the slow pace right now. I'm in no rush...

Yes, it has some cheesy dialogue and the optimization is not that great, but I'm still interested in playing it more. ^_^

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

While I kind of agree with you, reviewers want clicks and views as much as anyone.  And heaven knows the cynical, passive aggressive, commiserating internet hivemind just link YouTube videos and articles now, instead of that whole pesky "having or learning how to articulate their own thoughts" thing.  So pandering to them can't hurt as long as it looks believable.

I half kid...

lmao, clicks and views come from going AGAINST the public opinion not with it. "Puppies are cute" will not see the traffic of say, "Kill all puppies, they're awful". That is how many of these shitty rags have been able to live on life support. Particularly after they lose the initial funding, which for many - if not all - is gone, which is why so many are going under and doing layoffs. Nobody cares about their stupid opinions or "articles" about Kratos' nipples. Nobody needs a review of a console that turns into some diatribe about how the US is evil and life is terrible and you shouldn't be excited or enjoy anything about a new console release or how you're afraid of holes on an Xbox.

Edited by Elvick_
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Sunnyburrito said:

not everyone has 80$ to throw around with something they don't know if it's worth, and why the rant is beyond me, just don't reply if the question bothered you, it's not like it was directed at you or anything. 

Exactly!!! Thanks! 

17 hours ago, Allhelluja said:

If you're going to play it anyway, why bother caring?

Quite frankly, I think "hater" is one of the stupidest word going around in this reddit/twitter lingo era (that and "literally"): if someone doesn't like a thing, it doesn't automatically mean they hate it; besides, even if they did, what about it?

Play the game and see for yourself, and sorry for the rant.

This whole response is YOU being a "hater" Enjoy that! lol

14 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

Exactly. Just because your friend didn't like it absolutely does not mean you won't either. Personal taste is all subjective. People are getting too lazy to think for themselves anymore and want other people to make up their minds for them it seems like. You don't need other peoples opinions, only your own. 

If that's the case then why bother asking anyone anything? You usually ask people when you want a general idea. Not when you want a definitive answer.

If you had asked me 5 hours ago I would say 5-6/10. But after getting to grips with the combat and refocusing my mind I'm loving it.

I think you need to look at the game as less of every point of interest has some gear that will make you stronger instead its crafting materials to make your own gear a bit better maybe or strengthening your magic. The open world is more akin to Dragons Dogma than typical western RPGs

My main complaint is the parkour in combat has ways of meesing up your attack when your holding it down but it only happen sometimes other times it works perfectly, so maybe I'm doing something wrong

Oh and the terrible habit of cutscenes going to black screen then using a different angle its really jarring and feels like a move from several generations ago

Edited by puckelberry
  • Like 1

I don't bother with reviews, although I understand dropping money on every game is not an option for everyone. However this game has sort of drawn a line in the sand for me. Should you play it, well probably not if you are only interested in the western A+ that is being pushed by the review houses. But if you write this game off I think it pigeon holes you into this category. This game has firm nods to Nier Automata, Babylons Fall, Strangers of Paradise, not surprising obviously. I am very happy with this direction for Square. The world building is good, after all it is a dead world, do you really expect an NPC selling you a hat and his life story at every turn. Enjoying the world exploration for what it is without a question mark or point of interest is refreshing. I have nothing against location lead exploration but for a JRPG open world enthusiast it is not necessary or warranted. Not every game is for everyone but I think this game really highlights the lack of depth of many of the reviewers in their own gaming oeuvre. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

lmao, clicks and views come from going AGAINST the public opinion not with it. "Puppies are cute" will not see the traffic of say, "Kill all puppies, they're awful". That is how many of these shitty rags have been able to live on life support.

You aren't wrong with that example but also kinda making my point.  Negativity generates more interest than positivity.  It just so happens the majority of public opinion about video games is negative.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 hours ago, SuchRemorse said:

If that's the case then why bother asking anyone anything? You usually ask people when you want a general idea. Not when you want a definitive answer.

You get the general idea when you watch the trailer and a few gameplay videos. You really don't need other peoples opinions on top of that, it only ends up making you second guess yourself and skew your own judgment as seen on display by the OP of this thread. 

There's a time to ask for the opinion of others. Like "hey, my car is making this noise, I kind of have an idea what it is but I'm not a mechanic and you have more experience, what do you think it is?" Those are valued, experienced opinions and those are worth seeking before you make any decisions. Not something as subjective as video games. Even professional critics, they're just another person with a subjective opinion really except they just happen to get paid for theirs. Who cares what they think, it's what you think is what counts and matters at the end of the day. 

• Like 1

I'm enjoying my time with it. The world is HUGE. They took a bit of the Ubisoft approach where most of the game is side quests and collectables. So you love it or hate it

At around the 5 hour mark I started running into hordes of enemies. That really upped the intensity of combat. So far I've skipped all the "mutants", but they are tough as hell

I actually really like the dialogue. The lip syncing is off, badly, but they framed the shots smartly as to show that as little as possible 

For all it's failings, you can tell the devs still tried to make a fun and unique game

• Like 2

On 25/01/2023 at 10:14 AM, HuntingFever said:

IMO, ACG's review, perfectly encapsulates the general reception, which is: There are elements which work and are fun but the insufferable main character, dreadful dialogue and boring gameplay that gets old fast, drags everything else down and stops it from being anything other than a disappointment and to wait for a deep sale before buying it.

HuntingFever is one of a Kind in a good way Haha! Always enjoy reading your posts.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PotrikBerger said:

A lot has been said above with how I feel about the game, so won’t say too much.

im about ten hours in now. 

Id agree that the opening to the game is way to cut scene heavy. I wouldn’t agree that it’s the worst voice acting ever or anything close, but there are too many. 

I don’t have anything bad to say about the voice acting in general, I don’t really understand where all the specific dislike for this aspect is coming from. It’s not award winning or anything, but it’s just standard, run of the mill game dialogue and exposition that I couldn’t honestly say is any worse than any other standard, run of the mill in game dialogue forum countless other titles. 

What is terrible is the obligatory 5 second pause after you say or do anything. Every single time. Not the voice acting itself in my opinion. This constant stop and pause aspect to the game is by far my biggest grumble. For a game that pivots on its speed and in game world traversal, this incessant stop-start the player sits through grinds away at you and prevents, to some level at least , full immersion in the game.

Other than that, everything else is pretty good to play. When you first start off I felt the parkour felt janky, but as soon as you get some more spells and upgrades that definitely smooths out I felt. I really like that the upgrade system is based around defeating enemies etc rather than actually collecting things - a welcome change up. And yeah, the world can seem a little under populated, but honestly it’s not even close to something like sonic frontiers, which I couldn’t even stick with because the world is so completely devoid of pretty much anything... but that’s another subject all together. For me, so far at least, the world has just the right amount of enemies etc. Anymore and I think it would begin to feel like a repetitive slog if it was encounter after encounter after encounter whilst trying to billy whizz around the world.

My advice would be for anyone interested in playing this is not to make a decision based on opinions on one thing like the voice over acting etc. I’ve played a lot of the new releases in recent times and this is nowhere near the bottom end in terms of quality, gameplay and enjoyment. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not pushing Ragnarok or midnight suns from the top end of my list, but equally it certainly wouldn’t be troubling any of the ones at the bottom either.

And for a game I started playing on day one, I haven’t encountered a single bug or crash etc. I know that should be the minimum standard of expectation, but honestly, I don’t think that has been the case with any other game I’ve played in the last six months, so I’m definitely appreciative of that.

ARRRGGGHHH that damn 5 second pause. EVEN WHILE TALKING TO A SENTIENT WRISTBAND!!

• Like 1

Not sure, probably I won't ever buy it. Totally disappointed with the demo, which I honestly think give you more than enough material to decide about getting the game. 

Staring with the dialogues, all they wanted to mix in the gameplay (I didn't find it entertaining), the great visuals, which for me was the only positive, as I said just play the demo.

Does appear that a lot of the people on the hate train are on it to be "cool" yeah. These female lead bigger budget games do seem to get much more unfairly treated on the matter of character/dialogue and then on top of this one you do have the race aspect where often you're damned whichever way you go about things. That isn't to say the haters are all racists, just saying it can play a part in how much juice a hate train can quickly build up.

Of course that isn't to say the game doesn't have its issues. Controls seem to be something players will want to change around as the defaults are poor. You also want to increase the deadzone from the default to 1.5-2.0. Something that also hurts the game is that it has a really poor performance mode with heavily worse visuals and an unstable framefrate (can drop to 40 in certain areas), and as we know most gamers will always use and recommend the performance mode regardless of if the other modes are good or not. As such in the current state of the game the Ray Tracing mode (with a 120hz VRR TV) is actually the best as the visuals aren't that much worse than the visual mode but it is far more stable at 40 (visual can go down to 20). Ignore the crowd that says that they can't go back to sub-60 and all that. Nonsense. It's like Warm 2 in TV settings in that if you compare them to the other setting in the moment it'll just seem off, but you'll get used to it and not be bothered by it.

• Like 3

I learned quite early to never listen to reviewers or sites like IGN I will always play the game and find out myself 

so far I am enjoying the game the gameplay and the spells and parkour are the best

I remember a similar thing happened to death stranding from reviewers guess what its one of my favorites games ever