Softlock by not being able to break or kill the mythical animals in Undead Nightmare (?)

Antiristus

According to a Playstation Trophies guide, failure to break Famine on first try will result in being locked out of 100 % completion, because it will not spawn again and this will result in not being able to kill Chupacabra and break a Unicorn as they won't spawn without breaking Famine. And if you fail to kill Chupacabra on first try or break the Unicorn, same thing.

It says you need to start from scratch if either of those happens. So apparently just reloading a save doesn't work? It's like the Purple Nines glitch of GTA 3?

Edited by Antiristus

The Guide is correct. Also, here's the relevant info from the official wiki:

When encountering Famine for the first time near Perdido (and sometimes El Presidio), it is possible to encounter a glitch in which Famine will permanently disappear if not tamed. This has been reported to happen on many occasions. Another possibility reported that the horse could still appear but the player may no longer receive alerts that a mythical creature has appeared in the area.

An extremely rare glitch has occurred where the Chupacabra will never spawn. A few players have reported it to happen. The main story of the game may still be completed, although multiple achievements and both new outfits will be incomplete. The only way to fix this is to start an entirely new game.

Long story short, drop what you're doing and tame Famine the moment you find him, else he'll glitch out and permanently vanish from the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

The Guide is correct. Also, here's the relevant info from the official wiki:

Long story short, drop what you're doing and tame Famine the moment you find him, else he'll glitch out and permanently vanish from the game.

Yes, but can you revert to a manual save and go try breaking Famine again?

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

If it's a really old save then maybe but it's best to just start over with a clean slate and redo the trophy from scratch.

Shouldn't matter how old it is as long as it precedes any attempt of trying to break Famine. Obviously I would not like to start from scratch if it's not completely necessary. If reloading a manual save from before any attempt of breaking works, then I'll do that. But what I'm trying to find out is does a single attempt corrupt all the save slots on HDD like it does with the Purple Nines glitch in GTA 3.

It appears a manual save preceding an encounter with Famine in which one fails to catch and break him is enough and you don't have to start from scratch if you do have a save before an ecounter with Famine.

After unlocking Mexico, I wanted to make a manual save ASAP, quit the game and upload the save to cloud in case the glitch would work like Purple Nines and would "contaminate" this run and all its saves. So I chose a way point to the nearest unlocked and saved town. As soon as I started following it, mythical beast alert appears. I could only see two horses. I had broken War and Pestilence before,  Death won't spawn until all three others horses have been broken and I had only finished three Undead Hunter Challenges so it couldn't have been Chupacabra. Unless Apocalypse Horses can respawn (I had lost War and Pestilence before), it could have only been Famine.

There was a steep rock between us an my horse couldn't climb it. The blue glow stopped. I reloaded my manual save before "American Imperialism" and re-did the mission. This time I went to the nearest safe town over America and manually saved. Then I rode towards a waypoint I set between Torquemada and Diez Coronas. And boom, mythical creature alert. Caught and broke Famine there.

Tl;dr: as long as you have a manual save before any alert about Famine, it seems you don't have to nuke all your progress so far and can just reload that save.

Edited by Antiristus
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Antiristus said:

It appears a manual save preceding an encounter with Famine in which one fails to catch and break him is enough and you don't have to start from scratch if you do have a save before an ecounter with Famine.

After unlocking Mexico, I wanted to make a manual save ASAP, quit the game and upload the save to cloud in case the glitch would work like Purple Nines and would "contaminate" this run and all its saves. So I chose a way point to the nearest unlocked and saved town. As soon as I started following it, mythical beast alert appears. I could only see two horses. I had broken War and Pestilence before,  Death won't spawn until all three others horses have been broken and I had only finished three Undead Hunter Challenges so it couldn't have been Chupacabra. Unless Apocalypse Horses can respawn (I had lost War and Pestilence before), it could have only been Famine.

There was a steep rock between us an my horse couldn't climb it. The blue glow stopped. I reloaded my manual save before "American Imperialism" and re-did the mission. This time I went to the nearest safe town over America and manually saved. Then I rode towards a waypoint I set between Torquemada and Diez Coronas. And boom, mythical creature alert. Caught and broke Famine there.

Tl;dr: as long as you have a manual save before any alert about Famine, it seems you don't have to nuke all your progress so far and can just reload that save.

That's good hear :).