While going for this platinum, I encountered an error unlike before or ever since

Antiristus

Looking at the topic about the guy getting flagged, I remembered my own plat run of this game. Which was quite a stumble and momentarily made me hate a Batman game, despite being a huge Batfan. I don't know if the guy was cheating or not and that's not really relevant here. The topic simply reminded me of what I went through years ago.

Here's the setting. I was playing this game on a completely normal, un-modded and untampered PS3 that only I ever used and logged into. At the time it was a little over three years old and is still in use.

Recollection of events a little over eight years ago:

So I finally got Freeflow Perfection done. And it says I can't earn the trophy because there's a discrepancy between the save and the user or something like that. No, I haven't used someone else's save data or a save editor or anything like that.

What the hell is this? If something has nullified my challenges, I'm going to break down and weep like a little girl. I'm one challenge short of platinum. Can't even begin to count how many hours it has taken to complete the challenges.

Editor's note: I did not weep like a little girl. But suffice to say, I was not happy.

This effing happened. I finally 3-medaled Shock And Awe Extreme and it said I didn't earn the trophy. There's a 100 % completion after dozens of hours of playing and no goshdarn platinum.

I'm about to murder someone. Please tell me there's a solution to this. How could this even happen? I have not used anyone's save slots other than mine. I have not used any save editing.

Edit: IDK if it's relevant, but the one I played to get all the trophies/challenge medals before this, was the disc version. The one I'm playing now is the digital version. But I got the Freeflow Perfection on this version. Though the FP trophy doesn't require any stacked-up medals, I'd assume it doesn't make a difference what version I play. It clearly says 100 % completion in a save slot with my PSN ID on it.

Ok..so I have another save file which was missing about 33 Riddler secrets. I figured that maybe it's the save slot's fault. And since for whatever reason Freeflow Perfection did register on this other save state, I decided..to replay the challenges too after running around collecting those goddamn secrets again.

So far I have all the combat challenges again. And when I got that last medal trio from Rumble in Jungle Extreme AGAIN, it said the same freaking thing. I haven't redone the Predator Challenges for this slot, but it already said I don't get a trophy.

I repeat: I. did. the. combat. challenges. again. The most difficult crap to pull off in this game and I did it again. And it didn't work.

"A discrepancy has been found between the creator of the save data and the trophy user. To continue to be awarded trophies please quit and restart the game and create a new game in a new save data slot".

Then it asks me if I want to wait to be connected to the network even though I sign in the moment I turn on my PS3. This has to be a bug on Sony's end.

The good news is that it did eventually pop and I didn't have to at least play the whole game through. But still, oh dear was it a frustrating experience. I hate how it made me feel like I was wasting time when I was playing a good game (which I might have seriously considered replaying in the future had this not happened). It Pavlov'd me to cringe a little at the thought of ever playing it again :(

Seeing as how I had similar problems with AC, I think I'm going to carefully study beforehand what known glitches AK has before trying to plat it.

I don't remember which I started playing the game on; the disc version or the PS+ digital version. But both versions were played and saved on.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this in any game?

Edited by Antiristus

I've heard of this happening with the original Borderlands and it usually means you're using a save from another account but if the save is 100% yours, all I can think of is that it has been corrupted somehow so you'll have start over from scratch :(. You can also try backing up all your saves and deleting your profile off your PS3, then recreating it in case there is bad data hiding in the background.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

I've heard of this happening with the original Borderlands and it usually means you're using a save from another account but if the save is 100% yours, all I can think of is that it has been corrupted somehow so you'll have start over from scratch :(. You can also try backing up all your saves and deleting your profile off your PS3, then recreating it in case there is bad data hiding in the background.

I doubt it was the corruption of the save files because I was able to load and play them normally and even the in-game statistics worked just fine. It was only when the trophy criteria were met that it gave this error message and it was from PSN. That is, unless those couple of save slots had some kind of incredibly rare and convoluted corruption that enabled me to play them without issue, but translated the criteria to PSN as something having a "discrepancy".

Luckily this is not a current issue as I achieved the platinum in 2015, IIRC. The solution was reloading a much earlier save that required me to do all the combat challenges for the third (!) time and a whole lot of other stuff, including the majority of Riddler trophies.

I have no idea what was different about it compared to when it gave the error. But I would not want to experience this ever again and was wondering if there's any kind of explanation to why it happened.

Edited by Antiristus

3 minutes ago, Antiristus said:

Doubt that it's corruption of the save files because I was able to load and play them normally and even the in-game statistics worked just fine. It was only when the trophy criteria were met that it gave this error message and it was from PSN.

Luckily this is not a current issue as I achieved the platinum in 2015, IIRC. The solution was reloading a much earlier save that required me to do all the combat challenges for the third (!) time and a whole lot of other stuff, including most Riddler trophies.

I have no idea what was different about it compared to when it gave the error. But I would not want to experience this ever again and was wondering if there's any kind of explanation to why it happened.

I've read about this glitch a few times over the years but no-one has ever found the cause or knows how to prevent it :(.