Soulforge Heads Up - Good Troops

distressedjazz

If you saved up your diamonds (attained by daily dungeon battles and general game participation), with 4000 diamonds you currently have an opportunity to craft High King Irongut in the soul forge if you do not already have this troop. This is 100% worthwhile and basically I want to throw this out there to help some people out if you're struggling with underworld renown. 

To add to this, I would like to give the general tip of saving diamonds as Soulforge offers 4 mythic troops each week from the pool of 100 something mythic troops in the game currently, so if you don't have mythic troops, this is a guaranteed way to get troops you want. Its a waiting game but worthwhile if you want to make some serious game progress :) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, VigilantCrow said:

Balls I'm still 2k diamonds short for Irongut. Someday I'll get a mythic lol.

You will get a mythic one day :) 
High King Irongut is my second mythic (of the normal mythics) so it takes a long time. I was however, targeting High King Irongut. This means I never spent my diamonds only saved up and waited. I recommend not spending your diamonds on random mythics and just waiting for the ideal mythics to come into the soulforge. For instance, I wanted High King Irongut in particular for Underworld purposes, I know some mythics like Ironhawk are good for farming purposes etc. So having a mental priority for the mythic troops list will ultimately benefit you more in the game than just a random mythic troop. 

• Like 1

On 30.1.2023 at 0:42 PM, distressedjazz said:

This is 100% worthwhile and basically I want to throw this out there to help some people out if you're struggling with underworld renown. 

How exactly does this troop help with underworld renown, may I ask? I have about 16k renown atm and it's been kinda pain obtaining even that... Not sure if I will ever obtain Exalted...

High King Irongut is utilized (in factions where he's eligible) to help get you to level 500 / 2000 renown within that faction, because he's very likely to be an auto-devour upon cast between baseline raw stats and the bonus numbers from delve hoards.  So he can chew through enemy teams pretty quickly regardless of their power so long as you can fill and cast him (and keep him from being entangled).  Moreover, there aren't a ton of devour-proof troops inside delves; none of the faction troops are immune to devour -- in any delve -- and most of what you'll bump into in the intermediary rooms have that immunity, either.

This won't help somebody with Exalted, but it will help them with all the trophies tied to cumulative amounts of renown.

And if you're trying for Exalted?  There are a couple of delves that are tolerably easy with a 100 delve hoard if you know "the strategy" for that particular delve.  (Using pure faction at level 500, that is.)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, GeneSaw said:

How exactly does this troop help with underworld renown, may I ask? I have about 16k renown atm and it's been kinda pain obtaining even that... Not sure if I will ever obtain Exalted...

Yeah as Acasser said High King Irongut is good at scaling with enemy levels as long as you can use its devour ability. This means you can place him at the front of your team and build the rest of your team around generating mana for High King Irongut or keeping it your turn. Then when you have high enough treasure hoards in factions, the devour ability is almost guaranteed. 

He allows you to unlock level 500 delves and if you're lucky enough do them deathless. This grants a lot of renown in itself but for the max renown trophy you will then need to work out how to beat that level 500 delve you just unlocked with a pure faction team.

Some easier factions to start with include The Deep Hive and Ilithia, I'm current working on The Deep Hive myself, up to level 330 :) 
For the Deep Hive pure faction, I believe a Scarab Knight up front for barrier and then multiple Queen Beetrix' for the rest of the team should do you if your treasure hoards/kingdom power levels/kingdom levels are high enough (all give you passive stat bonuses). 

I would actually be inclined to not use High King Irongut at the front of the team because he has no skull damage mitigation.  You're typically at a stat disadvantage in high level hoards, which makes a skull cascade a real danger to simply nuke the unit at the front of your team.  Rather than stick HKI at the front, I'd stick him much further back so long as I can reliably fill him and tank with units that have much better damage mitigation.  Stonehammer is out because he'd block all three of HKI's colors, but there are plenty of other viable options depending on the permissible colors of the delve.

As for "easiest"?  Deep Hive isn't bad.  Illithia can be tricky with a pure faction team; you have to know the strategy to make it work and then not get unlucky with casts and cascades.

Wild Court is actually pretty easy with a pure faction team.  Perhaps the easiest of the 36.  (Says the guy with 90k renown who didn't do a single faction with massive numbers of Potions of Power, either during a Tuesday or weekend-release event or even after the hoard changes.)  That's probably where I'd start if I didn't have the Exalted trophy and was looking to just do that.

• Like 1