Did Sony go back on their word about banning shovelware?

CaptainJeff87

It was announced in November that shovelware would no longer be published to the store

Great news right?

Someone had mentioned that Sony approves games weeks in advance so most figured by the end of December it'd be the end but it's almost February and we still get the crappy jumping/quiz/stroke the animal/etc games on a weekly and sometimes daily basis 

What happened?  

• Like 3

IMO all games sub $5 (not on sale) should be banned from the PSN store. And any games that have less than $500 in sales within 12 months of release should also be removed. The fact that there is no quality control, that they are just letting anything and everything on for the sake of "fairness" is so disgusting. Devs who can't dev should stick to steam to release their garbage/first games

Was thinking the same thing, but a good number of shovelware was delisted, what still bothers me is when I'm looking through the sales and 40% of the games under a certain price are all shovelware, or "games" you could make in a hour with a different cover, so you still have to dig through shit to find the decent ones not to mention the good indie games that get drowned along with the trash, l've been using Platprices for a while now and it helps a LOT but there's still trash a galore littering the store, looking through the sales on Sony's own store is a nightmare, really hope they nuke all this garbage as soon as possible. 

Edited by Sunnyburrito
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

Was thinking the same thing, but a good number of shovelware was delisted, what still bothers me is when I'm looking through the sales and 40% of the games under a certain price are all shovelware, or "games" you could make in a hour with a different cover, so you still have to dig through shit to find the decent ones not to mention the good indie games that get drowned along with the trash, l've been using Platprices for a while now and it helps a LOT but there's still trash a golore littering the store, looking through the sales on Sony's own store is a nightmare, really hope they nuke all this garbage as soon as possible. 

I agree with this completely. In the end I started using a minium price of $5 and up to filter out all the shovelware. I know I end up missing a lot of indies and some games that end up on a mega sale but I end up missing them anyway trying to find anything amongst the shovelware. Or I get too tired of looking and give up 

SIE supposedly brings in new PS Store policy but they’ve barely, if ever committed to their promise(s).

Why’s this you ask? Simple really. These games make them money.

3 hours ago, BlindMango said:

I have noticed some of these "developers" have started to try skirting around Sony's rules the past week or two where they aren't necessarily making "similar experience" asset flips, however are making cheap garbage that they can still create in a matter of hours/days.

Shovelware, uh… Finds a way.

Edited by Dry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChibsSoA said:

IMO all games sub $5 (not on sale) should be banned from the PSN store. And any games that have less than $500 in sales within 12 months of release should also be removed. 

Dozens upon dozens upon dozens of Arcade Archives games would disappear.

They're certainly not as good as emulating, and they're definitely overpriced given that anyone can easily get ahold of a more authentic ROM of any of them at this point, but it'd be devastating to set that kind of threshold.

• Like 3