4/10 Difficulty You Must Be Joking

8 minutes ago, PachecoGTR said:

Start mastering the brakes (not every curve needs to brake) and know the shortcuts. Everything gets easier.

I am by no means a newcomer to NFS or racing games. This is a rng nightmare. Cars spawn in front and cross straight in front of you just randomly. The car decides to spin out suddenly. Brakes fail. Its bullshit.

There's a couple really hard events but most are pretty easy. The ones that come to mind is the time trial in the mountains and the rapid response with the apollo cop car. Both events took me about 40 tries each. I'd say this game is a 6/10. Keep trying and you'll get them eventually!

5 minutes ago, ResiGamer_28 said:

I am by no means a newcomer to NFS or racing games. This is a rng nightmare. Cars spawn in front and cross straight in front of you just randomly. The car decides to spin out suddenly. Brakes fail. Its bullshit.

All the NFS games are like that and have a certain dependency on getting lucky with the traffic spawns, or unlucky for that matter as sometimes you simply can't avoid them as they spawn right in your path. It can be cheap at times where a traffic car will spawn in the blindspot around a corner but the more experience you get with them, the better you get at predicting traffic spawns and where to be careful. It's an arcade racer and this is the MO of open world arcade racers. Most of your success depends on how good you are at avoiding the traffic. 

A 4/10 difficulty for a NFS game seems very accurate, I realize this is another one of those rant/vent threads but a 7/10 is far too high. That's getting up to Dirt Rally territory and there is no way any Need For Speed game is anywhere near as difficult as Dirt Rally. It can be frustrating but it's nothing overwhelmingly difficult. You may just not be as good at racing games as you might think. You really don't have that many racing games on your profile tbh. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NorthPaul93 said:

I almost always check playstationtrophies.org first to get an idea of how difficult a game is. PSNProfiles should do the same thing and have a platinum difficulty rating thread for each game.

I agree.  While there will be some skewing due to those who found it incredibly hard or those who found it overly easy, the majority of votes will put it in the proper range that it should be.

I actually still have this on my backlog, after beating Most Wanted and Undercover, this one is very hard for me.  I find the times to beat for gold, to be extremely hard, even when I'm checking how many or how few mistakes I'm making it just doesn't seem like you can make the time with the car you are using.  I'm currently stuck on some McClaren challenge in a mountain area and I tried it a few times and just kind of lost interest.  I will go back to it, however it's one that clearly is going to take some grinding to get used to the game mechanics more to get good at it.  Not as user friendly as other NFS titles that's for sure.

• Like 2

brings back some memories when i finished the ps3 verison. some of the races took "alot" of tries. but nothing that couldn't be beaten with learning the shortcuts/getting better and determination.

on topic, 7/10 on some races is right. 4/10 on others.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NorthPaul93 said:

I almost always check playstationtrophies.org first to get an idea of how difficult a game is. PSNProfiles should do the same thing and have a platinum difficulty rating thread for each game.

If that site already does that, and the guide authors here are free to choose the difficulty they apply to the guides they author and are open to conversing about it in the guides comments, what’s the value of duplicating something that already exists in two forms?

3 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

If that site already does that, and the guide authors here are free to choose the difficulty they apply to the guides they author and are open to conversing about it in the guides comments, what’s the value of duplicating something that already exists in two forms?

are free to choose

If someone made a really well thought out, informative, and detailed guide for a visual novel but then for whatever reason gave it 10/10 and 1000 hours would that be ok? Would everybody commentating on it change the guide? Does everyone even realize that guides have comment sections?  Sure someone could just make another guide with "accurate times" but then that requires someone type/copy an entire other guide instead of just typing a number and a reason on a thread, Honestly though this discussion doesn't matter as it wont be changed either way ?

11 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It's ok to implement ideas from other sites, as long as they're helpful. It would be much easier to just check the difficulty rating and guide on the same website, rather than having to check the guide on psnprofiles, then go to playstationtrophies.org to check what others have to say about the difficulty of a game.

• Like 2

Difficulty ratings are all subjective & pointless anyway. a 4/10 to someone might be a 7/10 to another, just like this post. Even the playstationtrophies voting thing is flawed since a lot of people rate extremely high/extremely low purposefully just to skew the results to what they think is the correct difficulty. Not to mention a 7/10 difficulty for 1 person will look different to another person since no one follows the exact same rating system for difficulty. Difficulty ratings from guides should just be removed in general as it does nothing but spark debates over opinions that have 0 bearing on the game itself

I didn’t expect asking a question would elicit such spin in the responses to twist my question into anything other than what it actually asked. I’ll have to further lower my expectations going forward. 

I would think having sites with different approaches would provide more utility than just trying to duplicate everything other sites do on here. Since difficulty ratings are completely subjective and can never be standardized, different polls/inputs from different use groups would provide different results anyway, further showing it doesn’t matter the approach, people won’t know how they would rate the difficulty until they do it and then their rating only applies to themselves. 

9 minutes ago, NorthPaul93 said:

It's ok to implement ideas from other sites, as long as they're helpful. It would be much easier to just check the difficulty rating and guide on the same website, rather than having to check the guide on psnprofiles, then go to playstationtrophies.org to check what others have to say about the difficulty of a game.

I suppose you could always just create a trophy list difficulty poll thread for some games you’re interested in and see how many people vote. I think it would be absolute clutter for every game to automatically create one, since the current system relies on someone to show  interest in starting a conversation before a thread is created. 

Since many of the guide writers have adjusted their difficulty rating of their guides through the comments and feedback on their guide, it encourages people to provide feedback if they think the rating doesn’t fit their experience.

I would expect someone someone so vested in vetting their game playing based on difficulty ratings or guide writers would be pretty knowledgeable about getting a wide range of resources to inform their decisions. I’m curious how far the spread is between pill votes and guide ratings here and how that would impact a person who does choose what they play based on reading other people’s ratings of a game. 

I’ll stop asking questions though, since it seems to personally offend some people. 

2 hours ago, MrTacos98 said:

There's a couple really hard events but most are pretty easy. The ones that come to mind is the time trial in the mountains and the rapid response with the apollo cop car. Both events took me about 40 tries each. I'd say this game is a 6/10. Keep trying and you'll get them eventually!

Add a 0 to the end of that and thats how many times Duty Calls took me. Over 4 hours 

2 hours ago, Clavietka said:

Persevere, man. I did it. So can u.

It was one of the most difficult things I've done. Not so much the base game, but the DLC ("duty calls" come to mind).

Duty calls took me well over 4 hours. Now I'm stuck on Rocket Science. I just can't seem to get the car to hold a drift. And its wrecking my thumbs trying 

2 hours ago, mega-tallica said:

All the NFS games are like that and have a certain dependency on getting lucky with the traffic spawns, or unlucky for that matter as sometimes you simply can't avoid them as they spawn right in your path. It can be cheap at times where a traffic car will spawn in the blindspot around a corner but the more experience you get with them, the better you get at predicting traffic spawns and where to be careful. It's an arcade racer and this is the MO of open world arcade racers. Most of your success depends on how good you are at avoiding the traffic. 

A 4/10 difficulty for a NFS game seems very accurate, I realize this is another one of those rant/vent threads but a 7/10 is far too high. That's getting up to Dirt Rally territory and there is no way any Need For Speed game is anywhere near as difficult as Dirt Rally. It can be frustrating but it's nothing overwhelmingly difficult. You may just not be as good at racing games as you might think. You really don't have that many racing games on your profile tbh. 

My racing game experience is on Xbox 360, I haven't played many on ps. 

I just decided I wanted to play a classic hence this version. 

1 hour ago, DaivRules said:

Because that other site doesn't get used nearly as much nowadays, so difficulty information for newer games, particularly niche ones, tends to be nonexistent or otherwise scarce, making it more difficult to judge how difficult a game might be. Not really an issue for this game in particular since it was released back when that site was still actively used so it has plenty of rating information, but it would be neat to see something like this for newer games at least.

• Like 2