Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlteredFormula

SR3 - too Streamlined?

9 posts in this topic

So I picked up the game last week from a friend, after being on the hype train for the last couple of months... and although its a good game it just felt a little too streamlined to me.

I got the story over and done with in approx 16 hours. I'm not the quickest gamer in the world so I expect most of you could reduce that to 10 hours.

A lot of things just werent discovered until after the main game was over for me. It played a lot easier than SR2, (and nowhere near the amount of bugs.) but just wasnt as batshit mental for my liking.

The two missions that involved falling from the planes were great, but it wasnt a case of the ante being upped mission by mission as promised by the devs.

A little disappointed, I guess. If you've been thinking about buying this, I would strongly advise against it, unless you rent it first. I expect most of you could plat it on a long weekend without even trying.

I was actually quite interested in this game before i heard this. I have a friend who feels the same way about this game, and he's the biggest Saints Row nut. That should say a lot :-)

Perhaps i'll borrow his one day, definately not buying it for myself anymore. Thanks for the heads up :-)

I like Saints Row 3 because Saints Row 2 was so BAD , But the only thing i can say is a have Platinum but i lost my savegame on 87% Completion so i had to restart. No problem because i like the game ... Till i got 100% and Platinum and nothing else to do in the game and gues what , the game is totally over for me no more fun because the Gangs are gone , less traffic and people running in the City.

So i think if you like a game like GTA and whatever and you wanne have fun in the weekend with some friend buy it ive you like this type of games and you think you can play it for a long time , no you got it wrong d'ont buy it.

This is my opinion.

I don't like when people say this is what GTA "should have been". GTAIV was outstanding... but that's my own bias lol.

I don't like when people say this is what GTA "should have been". GTAIV was outstanding... but that's my own bias lol.

I'm one of the people who say this is what GTA should have been. Reason being is GTA IV felt completely different than the reast of the GTA series. The game was more centered around it's story rather than the fun gameplay, and I feel like Saints Row: The Third feels like a PS2 era GTA game (this best era for GTA, in my opinion) moreso than GTA IV.

Parker

I'm one of the people who say this is what GTA should have been. Reason being is GTA IV felt completely different than the reast of the GTA series. The game was more centered around it's story rather than the fun gameplay, and I feel like Saints Row: The Third feels like a PS2 era GTA game (this best era for GTA, in my opinion) moreso than GTA IV.

Parker

I guess I'm one of those people that found the fluff in San Andreas largely unnecessary (playing The Sims with CJ, weight/muscle maintenance, vehicle mods... I mean how pointless is that considering how easy it is to decimate your car, gang wars... very annoying to have them pop up when I'm peacefully frolicking three cities over, etc).

I'll give you GTA IV was lacking the massive scale map, the fighter jets and the taxi/ambulance missions... but (personally) those can be forgiven considering the far better written story and far improved graphics/physics engine. If they spent more of their time working on one of these, I'm glad they chose the latter.

I guess I'm one of those people that found the fluff in San Andreas largely unnecessary (playing The Sims with CJ, weight/muscle maintenance, vehicle mods... I mean how pointless is that considering how easy it is to decimate your car, gang wars... very annoying to have them pop up when I'm peacefully frolicking three cities over, etc).

I'll give you GTA IV was lacking the massive scale map, the fighter jets and the taxi/ambulance missions... but (personally) those can be forgiven considering the far better written story and far improved graphics/physics engine. If they spent more of their time working on one of these, I'm glad they chose the latter.

I can agree with you on the crap with CJ I was never interested in that, the thing I really missed from GTA IV was the ability to buy places and do missions for them. I swear, probably 90% of my time playing San Andreas was with the airstrip you buy just messing around with the jets. It's something that they expanded on from GTA: Vice City and I was really looking forward to it in GTA IV. I'm really hoping that GTA V includes jets and all the other things as well, but for now Saints Row does the job for me.

I hated the San Andreas story as I've never been interested in rap or the moronic gang wars they get into, but the gameplay was the star in San Andreas for me. I feel GTA IV improved massively in the story and physics department but was sorely lacking in the pure mindless fun department.

Parker

I can agree with you on the crap with CJ I was never interested in that, the thing I really missed from GTA IV was the ability to buy places and do missions for them. I swear, probably 90% of my time playing San Andreas was with the airstrip you buy just messing around with the jets. It's something that they expanded on from GTA: Vice City and I was really looking forward to it in GTA IV. I'm really hoping that GTA V includes jets and all the other things as well, but for now Saints Row does the job for me.

I hated the San Andreas story as I've never been interested in rap or the moronic gang wars they get into, but the gameplay was the star in San Andreas for me. I feel GTA IV improved massively in the story and physics department but was sorely lacking in the pure mindless fun department.

Parker

Hopefully GTA V is the beautiful culmination of GTA IV's story and engine with San Andrea's mindless fun. :awesome:

Saint's Row 3 does look like it'd be fun, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on another open-world game at this point. Does Saint's Row have any multiplayer?

Hopefully GTA V is the beautiful culmination of GTA IV's story and engine with San Andrea's mindless fun. :awesome:

Saint's Row 3 does look like it'd be fun, but I can't bring myself to spend the money on another open-world game at this point. Does Saint's Row have any multiplayer?

Rockstar rarely disappoint, and I know they've heard the complaints about GTA IV so I have a feeling GTA V will be the best one yet. As much as I was disappointed with GTA IV it was still a great, and really fun game but it just wasn't what I expected. I'll be picking up GTA V on release though, just as I have with all the others.

Saints Row has online co-op. I haven't been able to try it out yet, but from what I have heard it is fantastic. You aren't limited to being within a certain distance of each other, so you can both go off and do whatever the hell you want instead of being forced to do what one person wants. Unfortunately there isn't local co-op which would be perfect for this game.

If you have anywhere around you that you can rent games, I highly suggest you try this one. It has many flaws but I can personally overlook them all because the game is all about fun.

Parker