The common debate: Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter

Infected Elite

Lord of the Rings vs Harry Potter   

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your pick as the better series and why?

• Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    • Harry Potter
    • I don't like either

17 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

Harry Potter seems like just a kids story about wizards with wands to me. 

Just having a laugh with myself imagining somebody describing LotR as "it just seems like it's about lords with rings to me". 

lol but yeah, there's a little bit more to it than just wizards with wands. ?

I didn’t vote because I honestly can’t pick one. I enjoy both franchises equally, and each one represents something different to me and reflects a completely different period of my life and childhood.

If I had to pick the one that had the larger presence and impact in my own life though it would probably be Harry Potter, hands down. Even though I have massive respect for Tolkien, the universe he created, and the countless fantasy worlds he inspired in future generations (including my GOAT ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’), I only ever read The Hobbit and the first Lord of the Rings book. I found his writing overly descriptive and difficult to read, especially as a child, so most of my memories of LOTR are derived from the Jackson movie trilogy and video games from around that same time period.

Harry Potter, on the other hand, has been with me since first grade. I read all the books and watched all the movies several times over as a kid, played many of the games, went to several midnight book release parties. It’s been a fairly consistent presence throughout my entire life, and even though I’ve outgrown Hogwarts a little bit in adulthood, I am thrilled to see Harry Potter is thriving and is as popular and beloved as ever (despite some reprehensible people’s best efforts recently) and being discovered by new generations.

I am confident both series will stand the test of time (Tolkien’s work already has really) and will be enjoyed by generations to come, which makes it really hard to single one out as being better than the other. Both of them are excellent, and we are fortunate to have lived through a time when we could enjoy them and see them grow into the worldwide phenomenons they’ve become.

• Like 1

It's not even the usual apples vs oranges comparison. It's like asking to compare "The Count of Monte Cristo" vs "Winnie-the-Pooh" or "The Portrait of Dorian Gray" vs "The Jungle Book". I like everything I mentioned, btw.

I prefer tLotR to HP generally speaking but I still like the Hobbit (book) better. I also have issues with almost every movie adaptation of both series (i like "the Chamber of Secrets" movie and "the Fellowship of the Ring" the most).

I think it will go to LOTR, but personally prefer HP. LOTR redefined fantasy into what we know it today, which makes it hard for anything to ever top. Tolkien deserves all of the praise he gets as it is a work that has stood the test of time. That said, I think HP is absolutely the best modern fantasy work we have. J.K Rowling crafted an unforgettable world that still has fans clamoring for more and more and it has had a great impact on younger audiences, as for most, myself included, this was the book that actually got me to read.

• Like 1

I fell asleep whilst watching LOTR, but have been a Potterhead since childhood, read all the books twice in English and again in Japanese, i also have tons of slytherin merch from the Warner Bros studios in london, absolutely love Harry potter. I don't know anything about LOTR, I only watched half of one movie and that was it, I got bored halfway through. 

Not even close lol. I suppose this isn't a popularity debate, because if we talk about quality and importance LOTR is superior in any aspect. I might be mistaken but I think one of the original movies have the record of most Oscars won in one night.

Edited by Jeanoltt
  • Like 1

Taking into consideration that the poll talks about The Lord of the Rings trilogy, it makes me assume that this thread wants to discuss about movies, and not books or video games related to both intellectual properties. Otherwise, more works such as The Silmarillion would have to be included if you wanted to talk about books within that fantasy universe, in balance with the Harry Potter universe. Anyway, I’m personally obliged to write the following: The Lord of the Rings is far superior to Harry Potter in any of the areas in which you want to compare them; books, films or games.

Books are better written and, since books are in both intellectual properties the original source from which all their content comes, it’s a fundamental point. I won’t go further in this section, since it isn’t the subject of the debate and it would be very long to develop.

The next thing to appear were the movies. At this point, even though both intellectual properties are of high quality and having been released at the end of 2001, The Lord of the Rings is once again superior. The production of the three films was carried out at the same time over an eight-year period, with all that that entails. The script, the development and the rhythm of the work are much more elaborate. Another aspect would be the original soundtrack, by the hand of Howard Shore, which is wonderful and knows how to introduce very well each plot theme distributed in each and every one of his compositions.

Finally, in the field of video games, we have a multitude of titles developed from the success of both movie sagas. Here, The Lord of the Rings also wins, giving us both games based and set in specific parts of the movies, faithfully reproduced, or focused games from a totally new and fresh plot point of view.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Desavenencia said:

Taking into consideration that the poll talks about The Lord of the Rings trilogy, it makes me assume that this thread wants to discuss about movies, and not books or video games related to both intellectual properties. Otherwise, more works such as The Silmarillion would have to be included if you wanted to talk about books within that fantasy universe, in balance with the Harry Potter universe. Anyway, I’m personally obliged to write the following: The Lord of the Rings is far superior to Harry Potter in any of the areas in which you want to compare them; books, films or games.

Books are better written and, since books are in both intellectual properties the original source from which all their content comes, it’s a fundamental point. I won’t go further in this section, since it isn’t the subject of the debate and it would be very long to develop.

The next thing to appear were the movies. At this point, even though both intellectual properties are of high quality and having been released at the end of 2001, The Lord of the Rings is once again superior. The production of the three films was carried out at the same time over an eight-year period, with all that that entails. The script, the development and the rhythm of the work are much more elaborate. Another aspect would be the original soundtrack, by the hand of Howard Shore, which is wonderful and knows how to introduce very well each plot theme distributed in each and every one of his compositions.

Finally, in the field of video games, we have a multitude of titles developed from the success of both movie sagas. Here, The Lord of the Rings also wins, giving us both games based and set in specific parts of the movies, faithfully reproduced, or focused games from a totally new and fresh plot point of view.

Yes its JUST the films. 

LOTR Fellowship, Two Towers, Return of the King

vs.

Harry films 1 through 8

I could be hugely wrong about this, but I would say Lord of the Rings. Purely on the basis that its fit for all ages, where as the Harry Potter stuff seems to be more for the kids. I saw one of them many years back and even as an English person to say, our child actors just cannot act. Though they tend to grow up more stable than the American child actors, so perhaps its a trade off. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've seen all the films for both IPs and have to say that Lord of the Rings is the one I love the most.  The story is so good IMO and I've enjoyed the storytelling.  The world itself is so vast and well designed.  The coverage of all the characters on all fronts of Middle Earth was fun to see.  Lastly, these movies are nostalgic for me because as I was growing up my Mom took us to see these movies first weekend they came out!

• Like 1