Nintendo Switch Questions

Iksde

I am thinking about getting Switch in the (hopefully, very) near future, but before I do that, I need to get a few things straight. First, the console. Which one should I get? The standard one (V2 or OLED) or the Lite model? 

The second thing is, what games would you recommend to a total NS newbie? Thank you very much for the answers.

1: It depends on if you travel a lot or just stay at home. If you travel a lot, the lite version is the one to get but if you're just going to stay at home and play it, get the OLED version since it has better battery life and more internal storage compared to the standard model.

2: Most of the first party stuff is worth owning but the Switch version of No Man's Sky is pretty decent, though it is missing some features compared to the PS4 original. Also note you need a paid subscription to play any Switch game online or use the save file cloud, plus there are some older games that have no cloud support at all so no backups are possible for them.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 2

As someone who only recently got a Switch myself a few months back. Your first question is really going to depend on you. For me, I opted not to get the OLED model because I use it in docked mode 99.9% of the time (I'm only really take it out of the dock if I'm using my TV for something else and I need to check my Switch for something real quick), I don't need the OLED screen because I'm not using it as a handheld device, I use it as a console. Which is also why I didn't get the Switch Lite. Keep in mind the OLED has a better battery...but other than that the hardware inside is exactly the same. So if you're going to just use it docked...then just save yourself some money. 

Plus keep in mind, we're likely not far off from the announcement of the Switch's successor. Another reason I didn't opt for the OLED...and I bought my Switch open box to save money...is because I knew it wasn't going to be very old by the time the next Nintendo console was coming around...which I likely won't wait as long to adopt, but saving money in this area was important for me. So just take that into consideration. 

Game wise...anything first party, you can't go wrong. Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Zelda: Breath of the Wild...these are always the heavy hitters anyone would tall you are must haves in your library. If you're a Pokemon fan (or a former fan), Scarlet and Violet are weak on performance but were great games otherwise...I hadn't played Pokemon seriously since Gold and Silver and had a blast with Scarlet. BUT the games are where your real investment with this thing is going to come from...PlayStation has spoiled me, we have 1 or 2 big sales every single month and games, no matter how big they were, steadily fall in price with time....not Switch games. You're going to constantly pay a premium for them, so just be prepared that paying $40 for a 6 year old game is considered normal. 

Edited by Viper
  • Like 3

If you buy new, buy OLED. If you buy used, it doesn't matter.

I personally would not recommend the Lite though since you cannot take off the Joy-cons on the Lite and some Games, like Super Mario Party, are therefore not playable on the Lite.

Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

Personally I'd recommend against getting the Lite, because stick drift is still a common problem with the Switch. Opening and repairing a joycon is feasible for a newcomer like myself (I've had to replace three sticks in 5+ years) but opening a Lite isn't, and the Lite uses the same sticks.

It's easy really... Buy the OLED model, just buy 1st Party stuff and if you're into Classics subscribe to NSO+ Expansion Pack (that way you can also get the N64/GBA/Sega Genesis libraries, also you'll get some DLCs for 1st Party games like the Courses for Mario Kart 8 and the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2 included... Also the Animal Crossing Expansion I think? I don't care for that Series so whatever ?‍♂️) and it's not a bad price either to be fair, it's like $60 a year here, by comparison PS+ Essential and Xbox Live Gold for a full year is like $80 or so here.

On 2/17/2023 at 3:12 PM, ZitMeatloaf said:

Personally I'd recommend against getting the Lite, because stick drift is still a common problem with the Switch. Opening and repairing a joycon is feasible for a newcomer like myself (I've had to replace three sticks in 5+ years) but opening a Lite isn't, and the Lite uses the same sticks.

I believe you're right. At this point, I completely removed NS Lite from my purchases. 

On 2/17/2023 at 3:23 PM, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

It's easy really... Buy the OLED model, just buy 1st Party stuff and if you're into Classics subscribe to NSO+ Expansion Pack (that way you can also get the N64/GBA/Sega Genesis libraries, also you'll get some DLCs for 1st Party games like the Courses for Mario Kart 8 and the Octo Expansion for Splatoon 2 included... Also the Animal Crossing Expansion I think? I don't care for that Series so whatever ?‍♂️) and it's not a bad price either to be fair, it's like $60 a year here, by comparison PS+ Essential and Xbox Live Gold for a full year is like $80 or so here.

Thank you very much for the reply. At this moment, I am completely sure I will get the console and, most likely, the NSO and the Expansion Pack. I am also leaning towards getting oled due to the fact that if I leave the console near the tv, my son would take it and probably dismantle it... with force. He's one year old, so everything interests him, and well, kids are like that. He is also the reason why I thought about getting NS Lite, but the joycon drift changed my mind to getting either v2 or oled, with the latter being the most probable purchase.

• Like 3

On 2/17/2023 at 3:03 PM, Sicho said:

If you buy new, buy OLED. If you buy used, it doesn't matter.

I personally would not recommend the Lite though since you cannot take off the Joy-cons on the Lite and some Games, like Super Mario Party, are therefore not playable on the Lite.

Would it be possible to use a pro controller? I bought a used NS lite, and I was thinking of going in that direction.

I Got the v2 version with the extended battery life (2nd model - not oled)

first thing i did was ripped off the joycons and bought an aftermarket set with an 8-point Dpad and bigger buttons and a screen protector for handheld mode, got a pro controller for docked mode and a memory card because most my games are digital

27 minutes ago, Edunstar84 said:

Would it be possible to use a pro controller? I bought a used NS lite, and I was thinking of going in that direction.

You can only play in handheld mode with the lite

using a pro controller is when youre docked and therefore not an option for you

• Like 1

If you have the money I would go for the OLED one just because the screen is a little bigger and it doesn't matter if you are going to play mainly on your tv sooner or later you will play in portable mode and a bigger screen is always nice. I would go with the lite only if you are completely sure you won't want to play on your tv.

About the games well I don't know what you like but I use my Switch only to play Nintendo games and I can tell you what I like: 

- Fire Emblem 3h and Engage if you like tactical rpgs they are fantastic. 

- Also if you like tactical rpgs the Mario + Rabbits franchise is way better than what you would expect. 

- If you like metroidvanias like Hollow Knight you can't go wrong with Metroid.

- If you like something relax just to chill Animal Crossing is great. 

- If you like platformers the Mario games are always great, 3D World for example. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Super Mario Party works ONLY with the detached joy-cons, not with Pro Controller or any other controller. It doesn't support handheld mode only docked or with joy-cons detached and the switch used as the screen.

This is true for the following list of games (no guarantee that the list is complete)

List of Switch games that don't support Handheld Mode
  • 1-2-Switch.
  • Just Dance (all of them)
  • Super Mario Party.
  • Fitness Boxing.
  • Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm & Exercise.
  • Ring Fit Adventure.
  • Nintendo Switch Sports.
  • Nintendo Labo (all sets)
Edited by Sicho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Thanks for the replies @Property_Damage and @Sicho. I'm still happy with my Switch lite choice. I only bought it to play the main Nintendo exclusives. What are the chances of Nintendo producing OLED lite?

Doubtful

i dont think the oled model really did all that well

they’d be better off releasing a new console like switch 2.0

A Switch Lite with OLED and Hall sensor Joy-Cons would be an instant buy for me, but this will most likely not happen. :)

I have a V2 that I got in 2019. If I were to get a Switch today, I don’t see much of a reason to not get the OLED model. The exception here is if you’ll mostly or only play in docked mode and the V2 is substantially cheaper. There is no performance difference, but you get a better, bigger screen, the built in LAN port, and a few other minor improvements.

I have mostly used my Switch in docked mode because I find it too bulky for handheld gaming. I’ll just my Vita for that. I would have bought a Lite as a secondary Switch, but concerns about stick drift and playtime not being tracked properly across multiple devices stopped me from doing that. Still, I do much prefer the form factor of the Lite for portable gaming.

For games, I’d stick to Nintendo exclusives and only get multi-platform games that you really want to play portably, provided you have a stronger system to play big screen multiplats on.