Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes General Discussion

The 1st mission took me an hour and 40min, i have done all the side missions you unlock after words and just unlocked deja vu in the process of doing the objectives on that, from the stats i am getting so far i have played for about 6 hours, and there is still a lot to do and trophies to unlock, thus far it has been worth every penny =D

Have you beat Ground Zeroes and the side ops are hard as well? I plan on doing a playthrough on hard after beating the rest of the side ops. 

Parker

How does it feel playing MGS without David Hayter?

Not bad at all. When it was first announced that Hayter wouldn't be voicing Snake anymore I was originally kind of upset, after all he has always been Snake to me and it sounded ridiculous for anyone else to try to voice such an iconic character. 

After playing Ground Zeroes though, I think Kiefer Sutherland does a fantastic job playing Big Boss. It doesn't sound unnatural at all (once you get over not hearing Hayter) and Sutherland gives quite a good performance. There isn't a whole lot of dialogue from Snake in Ground Zeroes but from what I've heard I am very satisfied. 

Parker

Not bad at all. When it was first announced that Hayter wouldn't be voicing Snake anymore I was originally kind of upset, after all he has always been Snake to me and it sounded ridiculous for anyone else to try to voice such an iconic character. 

After playing Ground Zeroes though, I think Kiefer Sutherland does a fantastic job playing Big Boss. It doesn't sound unnatural at all (once you get over not hearing Hayter) and Sutherland gives quite a good performance. There isn't a whole lot of dialogue from Snake in Ground Zeroes but from what I've heard I am very satisfied. 

Parker

I know right? I remember people signing a petition to bring Hayter back. You are probably right, it could be the nostalgia that makes people long for Hayter's voice. Its good to hear Kiefer did a good job, after reading all the reactions here I am getting pretty excited to pick this game up.

This title is a prologue am I right? Does that mean you don't really have to have played this game to follow the story? I forgot the name of the upcoming MGS game woops : D

I know right? I remember people signing a petition to bring Hayter back. You are probably right, it could be the nostalgia that makes people long for Hayter's voice. Its good to hear Kiefer did a good job, after reading all the reactions here I am getting pretty excited to pick this game up.

This title is a prologue am I right? Does that mean you don't really have to have played this game to follow the story? I forgot the name of the upcoming MGS game woops : D

The events in this game (at least the Ground Zeroes mission, not sure about the side ops) directly tie into The Phantom Pain so I'd say it is fairly important to either play this game or at least watch a playthrough on YouTube or something. 

Also, I believe The Phantom Pain will be using the same control scheme as Ground Zeroes so playing it is a great way to practice perfecting your technique for The Phantom Pain. The game really does control great though so even if you don't play it (but I recommend you do if you're a Metal Gear fan) you shouldn't have issues learning the new control scheme. 

Parker

The events in this game (at least the Ground Zeroes mission, not sure about the side ops) directly tie into The Phantom Pain so I'd say it is fairly important to either play this game or at least watch a playthrough on YouTube or something. 

Also, I believe The Phantom Pain will be using the same control scheme as Ground Zeroes so playing it is a great way to practice perfecting your technique for The Phantom Pain. The game really does control great though so even if you don't play it (but I recommend you do if you're a Metal Gear fan) you shouldn't have issues learning the new control scheme. 

Parker

Alright I appreciate the advice. One more question if you don't mind, what about these new controls? Does it play very different from previous games?

Have you beat Ground Zeroes and the side ops are hard as well? I plan on doing a playthrough on hard after beating the rest of the side ops. 

Parker

Not on hard yet but i will, i wanted to get S ranks and beat the final mission before i do that for fun; do you know if beating it on hard gives you a chance for S? Because i just beat the main mission with no kills or alerts all prisoners saved and still only got an A... am i missing something here?

and no problems at all with no more Hayter, he did an awesome job but the change was no big deal

i have a conspiracy theory about Hayter :D

i think he WILL be in Phantom Pain as a Solid Snake thats why Suterland is voicing Big Boss

Similar to MGS4 (i dont want to spoil for ppl who maybe didnt play it and plan to do it but ppl who did see  ending of MGS4 will know what i mean)

anyway good to hear that MGS Ground Zeros does the job and its worth to buy it.

Cant wait to get it in my hands :D

• Like 1

Not on hard yet but i will, i wanted to get S ranks and beat the final mission before i do that for fun; do you know if beating it on hard gives you a chance for S? Because i just beat the main mission with no kills or alerts all prisoners saved and still only got an A... am i missing something here?

and no problems at all with no more Hayter, he did an awesome job but the change was no big deal

I'd assume that if you did all that and only got an A rank that you'll have to complete it on Hard to get an S. 

Alright I appreciate the advice. One more question if you don't mind, what about these new controls? Does it play very different from previous games?

It doesn't play a whole lot different from Guns of the Patriots, but everything is a lot more streamlined. Instead of using the shoulder buttons to scroll through your items and weapons you use the d-pad and right analog stick and CQC works a bit different, but better, as well.

Parker 

Completed the main mission in an 1hour and 32minutes on my first playthrough, and the quickest i've been able to complete it since then is about 34minutes. Sure i could do get through it much quicker, but i have no interest in speeding through the game. There's little to no story here and what we do get is very dark if you pay close attention to it ex: Chico and Paz torture at the hands of Skull Face; some really uncomfortable stuff in there that probably won't sit well with many people.

As for the side missions, each can all last for about less than 20minutes to an hour depending on how you play. Overall, i've put in over six hours into the game and its great. One small complaint that i have is how quickly Snake moves, he runs really REALLY fast and the consecutive CQC attack is pretty quick as well, i know he's supposed to be "the greatest soldier" but it seems ridiculous at times.

So yeah, i think Ground Zeroes is great and i can't wait to get more from The Phantom Pain but its still tough to recommend as a purchase since the content included is minimal.

i have a conspiracy theory about Hayter :D

i think he WILL be in Phantom Pain as a Solid Snake thats why Suterland is voicing Big Boss

Similar to MGS4 (i dont want to spoil for ppl who maybe didnt play it and plan to do it but ppl who did see  ending of MGS4 will know what i mean)

anyway good to hear that MGS Ground Zeros does the job and its worth to buy it.

Cant wait to get it in my hands :D

I've had very similar thoughts as well. Kojima really likes to mess with his fans and something like that would be the ultimate troll. 

Parker

• Like 1

Well i bought this game and i must say im inpressed, when snake runs he runs lol the controls are wierd at 1st however really easy to pick up, the whole mission is sandbox with hardly any restrictions well unless you go off the map zone.

The graphics are nice and clear, seriously cant wait for the main game :-).

I feel its a shame they havent got the beta for mgo on there as im sure its development, well at least it would iron out the bugs alot better unlike when gta online was released. Other than that one fantastic game imo even if im an mgs fan :-)

Edited by DJ_MOUSEY

Just got mine last night after work. Never had a chance to pop it up as it was around 1:30am in the morning after having dinner with my wife.

today, Saturday, I finally got the chance to do so. AND I MUST SAY, AM TOTALLY SATISFIED and CONVINCED from its price point.

Though I had to pay like 10 more Singapore Dollars in the Process (U$29.99 vs S$48.00)(1=1.27)(S$10 extra) but its okay! At first I was hesitant, 

But after watching the Opening movie and start playing as BIG BOSS and after I finished the game in "normal" I was treated with those extra OPS/Side Missions,

man, Am glad I made the purchased.

Truly, absolutely, hands down we are entering NEXT-GEN era with this masterpiece by Kojima san. Being a long time fan of MGS, from the

PSX days to PS2 and PS3, Metal Gear had really evolved, and surely, Kojima san knows what he his doing, not just in Directing, Cinematography things but he knows

his HARDWARE as well. I Can't wait to play PHANTOM PAIN!  :awesome: 

And congratz to those who had finished it in less than half an hour. Speed runners had their own play style approach and taste! 

Let us not condemn them or judge them. AS for me and perhaps most who had played MGS...playing GZ is worth every second, minute and hours to put through.

A wonderful weekend, Everyone!

Cheers! #goodvibes  :highfive: 

-Razgriz

• Like 1

Hello all, question for anyone who's unlocked all the trials, on the anti-air emplacments side op, when you tag all the enemies ive tagged all of them but one, and once ive blown the armoured vehicle up it says ive failed the trial, anyone know why ? Do i need to tag the vehicle or the guy inside somehow ? Any help is much appreciated

The change in voice actor felt slightly strange when everyone else sounds exactly the same. I think it would have made more sense to keep Hayter for Ground Zeroes and bring in Sutherland for Phantom Pain when Boss is meant to be an older character. Doesn't matter too much to me either way though and he doesn't actually even talk that much during the game anyway. That said though it reminded me of how much I miss the codec/radio from older games.

• 2 months later...

I haven't played the other games but this game was so amazing, the stealth gameplay was amazing, it looked beautiful and was so much fun and interesting. Though, am really suprised with the length, not a complaint since it's only a prologe but it took me half an hour to beat the main story. Haven't played the rest of game yet.

• 1 year later...