This game deserves a remake

The Birth of the Looter Shooter genre

3 years passed between the release of Borderlands 1 and Borderlands 2. Both games where release during the same generation of console and run in the same engine (Unreal Engine 3). But the jump in quality is abysmally evident. While BL1 feels like an early PS3 shooter, BL2 still holds to this day. Still being played by a loyal fanbase everyday and stablishing Gearbox software (it's developer) as a household name in the gaming industry.

This placed the Borderlands franchise on the radar of many players who've never heard of Borderlands -myself included- and maid it mainstream. While BL1 sold 6 million copies, BL2 sold 27 million (according to VGchatrz). Borderland's sequel was the entry point to the franchise for many, and relegated the first game to a more niche game. Some seemed to enjoy it since release, while others revisited after playing it's sequels.

I've gotten the Platinum for both versions of this game, the original release and the remastered version. While the remaster definitely gave the game a much needed polish, the core gameplay and mechanics where still present. I won't hammer the original game for what it was, as I mentioned previously, this was an early PS3 shooter. But the fact is this game feels outdated in every single aspect.

However, while I was playing this game, I couldn't help to notice, this is where the Borderlands essence was born. This the game that gave birth to the "Looter-Shooter" genre. Everything that came after this game was and is still picking up from this game. The concept that gave form to BL1 wasn't perfectly executed, but in BL2 they turned the dial to 11 and made everything worked. It seemed it was only a matter of improving on what was done right the first time and experiment with new and fun ideas. Which is what -sort of-  happened with Borderlands 3. 

The -no so subtle- sequel

7 years passed between the original release of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands 3. BL2 was a PS3 release while BL3 was released on the PS4. Developed on the improved Unreal Engine 4, the gap is noticeable in every aspect of each game. Gameplay, graphics, design and the art department got a huge upgrade. Story wise, it's... debatable. 

At the time of writing this post, BL3 is the latest main release in the Borderlands franchise. It's development and content release seems to have ended (for now), and what we got in this game gameplay wise is the best we can experience in the franchise. I really enjoyed playing BL3. The gameplay loop, mechanics, sound design, playable characters and  RPG elements made me enjoy it from start to finish. I won't even mention the story because I don't think It will add to the argument. But as the title states, it wasn't subtle, more like right in your face.

After the Platinum for BL3 popped, my first thought was "I wish there was more of this". but since DLC's aren't' my thing, I left it at that. When the Platinum for BL1 popped, I thought "this game deservers a remake", because for everything outdated this game has, the main essence is there, wanting to be developed to the max, but limited by the container it was... well, contained in.

But what if it wasn't? What if the main essence that gave birth to a new genre could thrive again in a new, modern, better looking, running on UE4 environment. One that could show the true potential this game was designed to have, but it wasn't until it's sequel that it really shine.

A remake for BL1 on the current build for BL3 -at least for me- is the perfect move. The great gameplay of BL3 could help the original story from BL1 reach more players who didn't truly understood what Borderlands was about. Because lets face it, we are all here to shoot stuff in the face, and gain more powerful loot to shoot faces at.

Improvements to the original story are obviously needed, but a remake could -and should- help with this. From tying up loose ends, to making nods and callbacks to different characters who were not present but appear in later sequels. Bringing the polished gameplay from BL3, new skill trees and customization options for the original vault hunters, and a better world design should make this remake a success,

Lately, major entries in popular franchises are receiving remakes and being release instead of new IPs. Resident Evil, Death Space, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Grand Theft Auto, even The Last of Us received a remake, each one with a varying level of success. But the ones consider successful have one thing in common; when they are made to bring new life into an old game, instead of repackaging it to sell it as new, makes it successful. Everything good a remake does to a game, I feel could help bring attention once more the franchise, which in my opinion, could come in handy.

The Movie

A Borderlands movie is planned to be release... soon TM. You can visit the official website to learn more. Although very little has being said about it, other than the cast and the general synopsis. In my opinion, a remake of the original Borderlands could bring some needed attention from the mainstream audience to the franchise, releasing it days before the movie to bring the eyes of the public to everything Borderlands. Such marketing campaign isn't new either. Lately spin offs in the form of TV series are produced to promote a video game franchise. HBO's The Last of Us, Cyberpunk: Edge runners, and Arcane from League of Legends are some examples.

TLDR

A remake for the original Borderlands game would, in paper, be generally beneficial if done correctly. Specifically, a remake made with BL3s build, to bring the original story to today's public and in the process, create a marketing campaign for Borderland's upcoming movie.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...