How difficult is it to get the platinum for this game?

Around a 8/10 according to the guide.

Having played it on pS2 back in the day, the difficulty has to come from having to complete every VR missions. 

There's a truckload of them. Just to give you an idea, there's an 8 hour long video in the guide showcasing all of them.

You might need to retry some of them quite a lot depending on your skill level but as you go along you'll improve, so it's far from impossible to do.

If you go in and do some missions a couple of hours per session, it'll take a while but you shouldn't burn yourself out. That's how I managed back in the day on PS2, playing a few of them after school.

It’s very repetitive and long. The game is great, played it for the first time last year and it’s amazing how it’s still so relevant 20 years later.

the plat requires you to get all the dog tags on both chapters in 3 out of 5 difficulties and all the tags on one chapter for all 5 difficulties

Then you have to beat every VR mission, which a lot are easy but some are very difficult. It’s very time consuming and I have no remorse auto popping the vita trophies after spending so long on the PS3 version.

I’m in the same place as you that I’m playing through the series for the first time, I just haven’t gotten back to it to start 3 yet.

• Like 2

It's not as bad as people make it to be.

More time consuming than hard.

Of course some of the parts are hard, but I think the main reason for the rare platinum is the dog tag + VR mission grind.

I've grown up with the MGS universe and completed all of the games, and the only truly hard game is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

• Like 2

Getting the dog tags is not that difficult, the hardest part is dealing with the bosses. The last bosses combo (Tengu soldiers, Metal Gear RAYs and Solidus) on Extreme difficulty is quite tough. To be fair the Solidus fight is not that hard but you'll have so little healh left that any attack will be an instant game over.

Then there's the VR missions, a lot of them. Raiden's are the easiest while MGS1 Snake's are the hardest, especially the "variety 01" mission (protect the cardboard box with the sniper rifle).

I'd say MGS2 is the hardest plat of the whole series.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I personally have it at a 9.5/10.  It's my hardest platinum out of 190.  I don't have many truly hard platinums, but this definitely takes the cake by a long shot for the majority of my list.  In comparison this site gives Metal Gear Rising a 9/10 and I found that game easier, but not by much.  I'd give Rising a 9/10 so I agree with their score on it.  Those two are my most difficult plans though. 

Toyed around with a few 10/10 games but decided not to commit, particularly because these two games turned me off.  As big of an MGS fan I am this game is one I wouldn't want to do again.  Hopefully if they ever remake it they make the plat a little easier.

• 7 months later...

Ive got the Official Guide in front of me and cant seem to find any mention of this information below anywhere on the net but Big Boss can be acquired on Extreme and Euro Extreme.

And the difference between them (which is where the misinformation is) is that on Euro Extreme, no Dog Tags are present and enemies have 0% probability of dropping items.

In regards of the item drop probability, to compare, Very Easy has a 50% chance of any enemy dropping Item 1, 40% Item 2, 30% Item 3, and Extreme is a 10% chance for Item 1 but 0% on the other 2 Items.

Edited by Optinooby

12 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Ive got the Official Guide in front of me and cant seem to find any mention of this information below anywhere on the net but Big Boss can be acquired on Extreme and Euro Extreme.

And the difference between them (which is where the misinformation is) is that on Euro Extreme, no Dog Tags are present and enemies have 0% probability of dropping items.

In regards of the item drop probability, to compare, Very Easy has a 50% chance of any enemy dropping Item 1, 40% Item 2, 30% Item 3, and Extreme is a 10% chance for Item 1 but 0% on the other 2 Items.

Oh shit.. should we be expecting a guide on the collection? 

• Like 1

For the PS4/PS5 version probably a 9/10, since earningthe Big Boss codename on Extreme or European Extreme is no joke. The requirement that makes this the hardest game to get the best codename (Big Boss or Foxhound, the former in this case) is that you can only save the game 8 times and there are several sections (either boss fights or fights with non-bosses enemies) where you'd want to save the game prior to those, e.g. a single barrierof missiles from the harrier will give you a game over screen, also the choke of death can leave you with little health, and the whole section from before and during the fight with all 25 Rays can also give you a headache.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MothersOfMars said:

Oh shit.. should we be expecting a guide on the collection? 

Of course, i'll do MG 1 and 2 first, then stop for Alan Wake 2 and then will resume on MGS1.

Hopeully I can come up with some new easier strategies because it seems all that is really common out there at the moment are glitches and Speedrunnner stuff which is not accessible to every1 (faster doesnt mean easier)

Going to be fun to plan because when i played these back at release, my gaming was in a different place

• Like 3

On 10/25/2023 at 2:40 AM, Optinooby said:

Of course, i'll do MG 1 and 2 first, then stop for Alan Wake 2 and then will resume on MGS1.

Hopeully I can come up with some new easier strategies because it seems all that is really common out there at the moment are glitches and Speedrunnner stuff which is not accessible to every1 (faster doesnt mean easier)

Going to be fun to plan because when i played these back at release, my gaming was in a different place

Awesome! I'm curious to see how you go about it. Personally, I've only ever completed the original trilogy of games with no deaths, alerts, or kills but I am usually quite liberal with my time sent in the game so I'm not too sure how well I'll do with the speed running techniques. The only speed running I've ever done was shadow of the colossus or Halo MCC and maybe some odd trophy requiring a quicker than normal completion.

Anywho.. Hell yeah! I'll be on the lookout =D

Edited by MothersOfMars
  • Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 3:21 PM, MothersOfMars said:

Awesome! I'm curious to see how you go about it. Personally, I've only ever completed the original trilogy of games with no deaths, alerts, or kills but I am usually quite liberal with my time sent in the game so I'm not too sure how well I'll do with the speed running techniques. The only speed running I've ever done was shadow of the colossus or Halo MCC and maybe some odd trophy requiring a quicker than normal completion.

Anywho.. Hell yeah! I'll be on the lookout =D

You can save after getting alerted or before getting killed by a boss and save scumming your way out of it and at least try bosses the first time through.

18 hours ago, ryuzakix5 said:

You can save after getting alerted or before getting killed by a boss and save scumming your way out of it and at least try bosses the first time through.

Yeah I'm going to give 3 a solid attempt. It's a quick yet difficult run to learn but I think it's manageable. Maybe when I get more time I can truly learn 2 as it's my favorite

Edited by MothersOfMars