Sony has entered the Virtual Reality Business with Playstation

ChickenExotic

I'm still very unsure about this ! i don't think the technology is here yet 

maybe in 5 - 10 years down the road will full body VR 

i feel that sony think they have to get into the VR market since 

a lot of other's are doing it such as the Rift , i used the Rift 

and while it was impressive i still don't feel that were close to 

what people want and expect not to mention the price , though 

am i interested to see what people think .

• Like 1

I'm not really interested in this. I might feel uncomfortable when I have that thing on my head. It could be good advanced technology, but like Volloxx said, I dont think the world is ready for this yet. These things are gonna have insane price tags and I doubt that people are willing to buy this. Of course some tech enthusiasts will purchase this for their collection, but I cant imagine anyone else purchasing this, for now.......

I'm not really interested in this. I might feel uncomfortable when I have that thing on my head. It could be good advanced technology, but like Volloxx said, I dont think the world is ready for this yet. These things are gonna have insane price tags and I doubt that people are willing to buy this. Of course some tech enthusiasts will purchase this for their collection, but I cant imagine anyone else purchasing this, for now.......

I'm a sucker for all things tech and shiny and will buy it for shits and giggles, even though I don't expect it to have a long or healthy product life.

That was an actual product they released, not a prototype.

True. That was the third generation of Sony's HMZ 3DTV headset, which built upon their late 90s product called the Glasstron.

While the design of PS4 headset seems to be inspired by the Oculus Rift, Sony has been in the VR game for a very long time.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

I've had a bit of experience with the Oculus Rift playing iRacing and it was pretty damn amazing, much better than a triple screen setup and I think if marketed correctly it could be very successful. A decent price point would be necessary, of course. 

Parker

I doubt I would get it appears too gimmicky for me, imo it is also very game dependent I think it would only work great with racing games and some horror games. The price also would be crucial since I doubt most games would bother to support the feature in the first place. 

I think the Oculus Rift will still come out on top, PC hardware is constantly evolving and the Rift can accommodate these changes quite easily, newer models with better head tracking, resolution, etc. it's much more flexible than Sony's offering which is designed around fixed hardware. I can't see many games supporting this on PS4 because I don't think the console is capable of doing it, I mean, you are effectively rendering the game twice, and have to use a much wider FOV meaning more has to be displayed on screen. So any graphically intensive games are ruled out from the get go, plus VR is awful at anything lower than 1080p at 60 FPS, which I doubt many games will be outputting at 2 or 3 years from now. It'll be interesting how they handle this, maybe something similar to how they handled triple screen support in Gran Turismo 6 by being able to hook up 3 consoles together and have them work together to output the image?