Contagion Mode

TrophyChief

12 hours ago, nickr_ said:

Like OP said, the point of the thread is to share best practices, tips, and known exploits to help others

Yes, please remain on topic as the community who wants to earn these new trophies can come to a thread and discussion that is relevant and helpful. An innocent gripe about the many playthroughs needed or the developers approach to trophy lists and unlocking requirements are fine every once in a while but the constant barrage is tiring. Les get these trophies!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IDiivil said:

Death is only the beginning in this ultimate survival horror experience. Stronger enemies, limited resources, no manual saves and your progress is reset to the beginning of the chapter if you die.

When you start the mode you get a disclaimer saying "Player death, exiting the application, or quitting the game will reset progress to the beginning of the chapter"

So I'm guessing you can savescum it by doing a backup save per chapter, or just making sure to quit out if you're about to die, like in the Dead Space remake. Still have to redo the whole chapter, which is lovely for all the chapters with a difficult section in the end (thinking 6 or whichever has the stupid drill ride at the end). Chapter 8 might be kind of bad too, unless you've practiced the boss fight to nail it down. Doing a few hardcore playthroughs definitely helps there.

There's also the chance that they flag your save if you just exit the game, but I really don't believe anyone could be sadistic enough to ask someone to do this game in one sitting as you still cannot skip cutscenes.

Oh, and, no NG+ off a previous save. It's the same deal as hardcore.

EDIT: Started a playthrough on this mode and it's making me appreciate this game so much. Chapter 1 ends on a cutscene, then chapter 2 starts and there's ten more minutes of cutscenes just to make sure you don't miss those if you have to stop playing. A skip button would be very welcome at this point.

This is the information I've been waiting for! And it's all bad news!

I actually like this game but forcing melee for 90% of the game really sucks, especially if they make the enemies take even longer to defeat. And still no skip cutscenes? I think I'll wait on this mode until such a feature is implemented. It's going to be enough of a slog having to restart the chapter any time something goes wrong. That last hallway section near the end of the game is especially concerning, as is the drill ride and the dumb water slide AND the part where you're falling through the broken apart building.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, TsurugiFenrir said:

So far, third chapter. Drops are not that bad, gives more ammo and health than Hardcore. 

Enemies hit hard like in HC but they do not seem to have as much health as in HC. Credits are little bit more available. Didn't die so far, cutscenes are not skipable. 

Thanks for the info. I think we used the same strategy on HC mode: only baton, grip, handgun and shotgun that'll be enough.

BTW, can we load the checkpoint?

Edited by aimeraya
  • Like 1

Can't believe they still haven't given us skippable cutscenes. They are taking advantage of trophy hunters to artificially increase play time at this point so appease the Publisher. 

So early impressions make it sound easier than hardcore? Question is, can we save scum using PS+ at start of every chapter to get the trophy to complete Contagion mode without dying?

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, aimeraya said:

Thanks for the info. I think we used the same strategy on HC mode: only baton, grip, handgun and shotgun that'll be enough.

BTW, can we load the checkpoint?

I was about to check, but experienced a power outage so must wait for the electricity comeback. 

Monsters drop Pristine Energy Converter more often, ammo is plenty, I had to sell some because I had too much. They definitywnie have less health. Im thinking, damage from HC, health from Maximum Security maybe? 

I do not think there are checkpoints but was just about to try before power went down. 

4 minutes ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Can't believe they still haven't given us skippable cutscenes. They are taking advantage of trophy hunters to artificially increase play time at this point so appease the Publisher. 

So early impressions make it sound easier than hardcore? Question is, can we save scum using PS+ at start of every chapter to get the trophy to complete Contagion mode without dying?

Well, I would assume that its not dying so should not count as death if you save scum. Then again, somebody would have to try it to clarify. Probably will take few more hours to check. 

• Like 2

I have just finished downloading and installing the DLC however still only see: Normal + Hardcore when selecting New Experience.
Anyone else having this issue?

Edit: This was missing for me because the DLC was showing FREE in the PS Store so I downloaded it (12GB) and started the game and it wasn't there. A few hours later in the PS Store it changed from FREE to $14.95 - so they messed up with DLC. I ended up purchasing the Season Pass which fixed this issue.

Edited by xblakestone

What happened to the custom nature of the Contagion Mode, I couldnt find it, unless its an unlockable, or perhaps the custom difficulty slider for Contagion Mode will come in Dec 2023 with 16 new Reload Animations.

Im waiting for skippable cutscenes, but at this point it seems it may never come.

When someone finishes Contagion, can you update us if it unlocks anything, thanks ;)

• Like 2

Hardcore mode wasn’t hard it was tedious.

Sure, contagion mode might not be as bad as everyone thinks but I was burned out and bored of CP after the fifth near identical playthrough.

Looking forward to some random environmental death ending this run. Or a combuster in the final fight. Because who doesn’t love being spammed with grunts during a boss fight?

The devs need to get more creative.

• Like 2

Just now, MetalFearbringer said:

- If you beat Contagion Mode in new game plus will you unlock all difficulty based trophies ? (Very Hard, Hardcore, New game plus etc)

Since that wasn't the case with Hardcore Mode, it certainly won't be the case with Contagion. Every Mode (Normal, Hardcore, Contagion) are seperate entities in the menu, with no save-transfer and seperate New Game Plus modes as well.

6 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Question is, can we save scum using PS+ at start of every chapter to get the trophy to complete Contagion mode without dying?

I don't think save scumming will be necessary as long as you are quick about quitting if you're about to die. You start at the beginning of the chapter any time you exit the game or die. 

Actually, there are times where your near an environmental hazard and could die unexpectedly, so making a save at the beginning of each chapter probably is a good idea.

Just beat it on the ps4 stack(playing on the ps5). I died at the last boss, the exploding thingies got me because i did so much damage to the boss that spawned 4 at the same time instead of the usual 2. Im not save scumming so the trophy for not dying didnt pop for me since i reloaded the last chapter. As far as the game goes i think the enemies and loot are in Maximun Security difficulty but the they do Hardcore diff damage, everything else seems the same. There is a New Game+ contagion so im going to try to beat the game again to see if you can pop the no death trophy in this mode.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, yowzagabowza said:

I don't think save scumming will be necessary as long as you are quick about quitting if you're about to die. You start at the beginning of the chapter any time you exit the game or die. 

Actually, there are times where your near an environmental hazard and could die unexpectedly, so making a save at the beginning of each chapter probably is a good idea.

since if you die you begin at the start of chapter,there is no need for save scumming right?

i think they said that you can not save in contagion mode and if you exit from game or close app,you must start from scratch

Correct me if im wrong

11 minutes ago, Squarevii87 said:

since if you die you begin at the start of chapter,there is no need for save scumming right?

i think they said that you can not save in contagion mode and if you exit from game or close app,you must start from scratch

Correct me if im wrong

No, if you die you start from the beginning of the chapter. If you quit the game in any fashion you start at the beginning of chapter. There is a trophy for beating the mode and another for beating it without dying. 

There are no checkpoints, and the only time the game saves is at the beginning of a chapter.

1 hour ago, Elite_Agent_009 said:

Just beat it on the ps4 stack(playing on the ps5). I died at the last boss, the exploding thingies got me because i did so much damage to the boss that spawned 4 at the same time instead of the usual 2. Im not save scumming so the trophy for not dying didnt pop for me since i reloaded the last chapter. As far as the game goes i think the enemies and loot are in Maximun Security difficulty but the they do Hardcore diff damage, everything else seems the same. There is a New Game+ contagion so im going to try to beat the game again to see if you can pop the no death trophy in this mode.

Nice work!

Yeah, the hard part about the last boss is controlling the spawns and getting on them asap. Also made the mistake of dropping his health too fast on one of my playthroughs.

Going to give this a shot now. The main parts I'm worried about are the few security bots, because they instakill you, and being glitch instakilled by one of the twoheads. Oh and that one section at the end of C4 where you're in the lumber mill thing. I just kinda ran past those enemies during my HC playthroughs. Not sure if I'm brave enough to do that here, since it's at the end of that rather long chapter.