GameStop Job Application Help?

Tragedy15

Before I get started, I just want to say that I'm 16 years old (turning 17 in April), and this will be my first real job. I've had my parents help me as much as possible so as to make sure I don't screw anything up and turn in an unacceptable application. However, they're unsure what I should write down on this part and I don't want to mess it up, so I'm going to ask all of you for some help.

I'm applying for a job at my local GameStop and I have my application mostly filled out. However, I am now stuck wondering what everyone else who filled out one of these applications wrote for "Video Game/Software Knowledge"? I was thinking that perhaps you could all tell me what you put there as an example/reference for my own application? Also, any suggestions as to what you think would work best are also appreciated.

For anyone who doesn't know, there are three lines you can write on:

- Video Game Systems

- Game Software Knowledge

- PC Knowledge

Now, personally, I've self-taught myself a few things about game design and I also took an ROP Computer Game Design course during my Freshman year in High School. So would you all say it would be best to write ROP Computer Game Design and leave everything else blank or should I also write something down for Video Game Systems and Game Software Knowledge? I don't really know anything about coding on consoles. However, I also took an Art for New Media class (which was essentially PhotoShop and DreamWeaver) for a brief period of time, but I'm not sure if that would really count for PC Knowledge since it doesn't really directly relate to gaming. 

Also, while we're on the topic of PC gaming, I think it's worth mentioning that I don't do much PC gaming as my computer isn't exactly the most powerful PC. However, I do have a PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4 which I spend a large amount of time gaming on. I know how to upgrade the HDD on my PS3 and PS4, but does that really count as something I could write down for Video Game Systems?

Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

As I said before, any and all suggestions as to what I should write in this section of the application are very much appreciated.

If you stay up to date with video game releases and have knowledge about video game consoles I'd put that there. I'd let them know that video games are a passion for you and maybe list some consoles you have. If it comes down to it I'd go to the store and ask one of the employees their opinion. Let them know you're passionate about games and see what they'd suggest you write down there. 

Parker

• Like 1

OK I worked as the Playstation Rep for my provinces so I became friends with all the store managers and district manager. What they are looking for is just your ability to talk about games. It isn't really important that you have played the entire Dreamcast library and own a 2600. But it is important that you can talk about gaming more than just I LIKE TEH COD.

Let's say a mom comes in and is looking for a good game for her 6 year old daughter and they own a DS. What would you say?

Or how well do you know your systems? I mean if I am a dad coming in buying a PS3 for my kid what else would you add on to the sale? Stores make no money on Hardware but if you talk about adding on a HDMI cable, a second controller, and maybe a game then that looks a lot better. Also talk about how you would talk with the dad about how old his kids are, what kind of stuff they are interested in etc. to help make a better game suggestion. These all seem like easy things to do but you would be surprised how often employees won't take those couple extra seconds to talk with the customers and not only do they miss out the chance to exemplify good customer service (which turns around to repeat sales) but they also miss the easy add ons.

Remember the manager will be looking for all of this when talking to you so keep it in mind. A customer is going to get a second controller from somewhere, why not from your store?

Edited by Dr_Mayus
  • Like 1

Might I suggest writing a letter describing your motivation for working at GS and tell them about your passion for games? You could mention those courses you have taken, that should work in your favour. It shows you are eager to learn and that you are passionate about games.

Let them know you're really good at organizing games on the shelves. That's pretty much all they do. Also, if you're good at selling people warranties for a $2.99 used game, you're good to go.

Well that is what you do if you want to get by doing the bare minimum. There are ways to stand out if you actually want to move up.

• Like 2

Let them know you're really good at organizing games on the shelves. That's pretty much all they do. Also, if you're good at selling people warranties for a $2.99 used game, you're good to go.

Maybe at the stores near you. Both the GameStop stores that I frequent have very knowledgeable staff who will go out of their way to help you in whatever you need. I've had them pull up some videos on their phones quite a few times to show me a video, review or something else to help me make a decision and they have never been intrusive or annoying. You can tell when someone is passionate about video games and when someone just needed a job.

Parker 

Your job is to sell video games and consoles, ergo, you need to know the product. In other words, do you know your shit when Average Joe asks you about a game on their shelves?

Don't include your game design / media class stuff...it's irrelevant and they don't care. You need to know what games are available on current systems (PC and console) and have an informed opinion about them...that's it. 

Talk about being a PS3 / PS4 / Vita / Wii U / 360 / XB1 / DS gamer (choose all that apply), about being an active gaming forum member and a frequent user of prominent review sites like GameSpot, IGN, Giant Bomb, Polygon and MetaCritic to learn about new releases across all platforms. Your job is to know what games work on what system, if those games are any good, offer basic insight about console hardware (e.g. HDMI ports need HDTVs) and peripherals (controllers, Move, Kinect etc), what screen resolutions they run at (720p for last-gen, 1080p for next-gen), how to read the minimum specs on the side of a PC game and when they're coming out (the store will provide that info).

You don't need an encyclopaedic knowledge of the entire history of video gaming, a water-cooled gaming rig, how to program in C++ or 100 Plats on your trophy card - employers don't want a smart-arse, know-it-all, uber-gamer arguing with customers. They want well-presented, friendly, approachable, knowledgeable, passionate, and most of all, someone to tow the company line and up-sell their shit like scratch insurance, preorders and game trades.

Edited by ant1th3s1s

- Video Game Systems

You know of all the current systems there is out there at the moment.  In these kind of stores, you usually do get to test out some of the ones you don't have, but you should do your research on all them just in case they don't do this.

- Game Software Knowledge

This is mainly games.  Like knowing what most games are, so if someone asks you about one, you'll know where to look or if that's out yet.  If someone asks you something like "I want to play more games like Final Fantasy", you'll be able to say something like "Tales series" may be something they like and show them a couple of the games from that series that you have in store.  Release dates, if that game requires a fee to play online, if it has local 2P/Co-op in it etc.

- PC Knowledge

You could do a bit of research on PC specs.  Know of Steam since you probably sell the cards for the wallet on it.  Know of Time cards for MMOs.  Overall though, I have never found anyone in GAME stores to know much of PC though.  Most of the time, the only sort of talking you get given to you is if you open this case, you can't bring it back since it's PC and most PC games require you to use the code provided in order to play.

Anyways, good luck, I have tried to get into GAME a few times over here, even with a Games Development qualification behind my back, I still haven't managed an interview.  It's very important to these places that you have had at least 6 months or more of retail experience.  They will always hire those who have more experience.. even if you do seem like you would know more about games.

They will most likely be looking to see if you understand the business.

You should include knowing about different methods of purchasing (like selling digital codes, physical copies, PSN/XBL credit) and possibly things about DRM, online passes, redeemable digital content packed with physical games and how it can influence whether you can sell the game pre-owned or not.

And you might also want to add something about different versions of a game, e.g. some have GOTY editions, some have complete edition, some have directors cut... they dont want you selling the wrong version to the customer.

tbh, from what ive heard about gamestop, its worse than the shop GAME in the UK and the staff there dont know shit about the actual games. I think they have a policy of not recruiting anyone who does know a thing or two about games.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions.

I've decided I'm going to write a letter explaining what I know about current gaming news, console gaming, PC gaming, and just games in general.

I'm feeling pretty confident about this thanks to all of you.  :lol:

• 10 months later...

OK I worked as the Playstation Rep for my provinces so I became friends with all the store managers and district manager. What they are looking for is just your ability to talk about games. It isn't really important that you have played the entire Dreamcast library and own a 2600. But it is important that you can talk about gaming more than just I LIKE TEH COD.

I worked at Gamestop for 3 years and what he has said hits the nail on the head.

When I applied my manager didn't ask what I owned but instead asked me to name off 10 games that had come out in the last 3 months.  They are looking for someone to engage the customer and to get reservations and subscriptions.  Specifically they are looking for someone who could say, "I see you're trading in Bioshock: Infinite.  Have you heard of The Order: 1886?  It's also a period shooter.  If you reserve now I can get you 10% back with your Bioshock trade-in if you're a Power-Up Rewards card member!  You don't have one and you don't want to get The Order new?  Tell you what, if you sign up today, you'll get back 10% extra on all trade-in's and get an extra 10% off used games. Come back in here in a month and we'll have The Order for 54.99.  With your membership you'd save another $6.00.  In other words if you paid today you'd really only be paying $9 for a yearly magazine description AND that much off newer used games."

They're also looking for someone to make actual suggestions that aren't reservation or subscription based.  One time I had an elderly lady come in and ask about games for her 7 year old grandson.  She was holding Red Dead in her hands.  I turned it over, explained the rating system to her and how each game will state why they are rated what they are.  I then showed her appropriate games for the PS3 for her grandson.  She then told me she hadn't bought him the system yet.  At that point I ushered her towards the Wii section and explained how, if she didn't want to spend time double checking every game he played, she could mostly trust Nintendo games to both fun and family friendly.  All in all I spent about 25 minutes with her explaining videogames and she didn't end up buying a single thing.  I come into work the next day with a commendation because she was a secret shopper. 

In other words: they're looking for someone with the knowledge ready to explain things to both gamers and their grandmas.  They're looking for someone to know when to push subs and reservations and when to just explain things.  They're also looking for someone to alphabetize and clean the entire store everyday but that's another matter.

Edit:

Also for Videogame software knowledge I think they're more looking for you knowing the differences between the systems as far as specs are concerned.  It also helps if you know which publishers do what because you could pull a, "You love the Walking Dead too?  Telltale makes that.  Let me show you another awesome game they made!  *shoves The Wolf Among Us into customer's hands*"

Also please know they don't expect you to know everything.  They are looking for a charismatic salesperson.  I sold myself as that with no PC or Xbox knowledge and got the job.  It's more about your character and your ability to engage with the public and pull in numbers.  That being said, do more than just submit an application.  We would at least get an application or two a day.  You need to call the store and follow up. You need to go out of your way to introduce yourself to the manager of the store.  If you do not do that your chances are not very good from being pulled from the lottery of kids that apply.

Editing Again:

I just realized how old this thread is.

I hate to say this BlueDiamond93 but you need to come up with what to write on your own.  If you PM me I'm happy to give you pointers.

Edited by Bucknerd