The Doctor's Movie Prescriptions-7 Dias

Dr_Mayus

So to continue with my St. Patrick's day reviews It leads me out of Ireland and into Mexico :blink:. That's right, if I was to say what does Mexico, The Mafia and U2 have in common it is they all appear in the 2005 film 7 Dias.

Why Should You Watch This

7DIAS24.jpg

Why should you watch this? Because it is a mob film about U2 in Mexico...why wouldn't you watch this? Seriously though I was working at Blockbuster at the time and that was actually my response. I watched this film purely because I thought the premise was absolutely ridiculous but what I ended up getting was a well acted film that had a lot of heart.  

You can tell a lot of passion went into making this film and for this being director/writer Fernando Kalife's first movie it is quite well made. Also in an incredible story this film was made without U2's knowledge. After the film was made Jaime Camil met Bono (during the Vertigo tour) and told him about the film. After viewing a private copy of it Bono agreed to limited concert footage and the use of the song Miracle Drug (which plays over and over in the film). So you have to give credit to the film crew because what they did took a lot of balls and in the end it paid off.

Finally the odd couple pairing of concert promoter Claudio and mobster Tony is such a fun relationship to witness that any scene those two are in just makes for a great time.

The Plot

have-you-cine-7-dias_2.jpg

Local concert promoter Claudio wants to make it big by bringing U2 to their small Mexican town. His plan is to bet big at the bookies and turn those winnings into funding to bring the in the band. The thing is he doesn't have the money so when his team loses he is shit out of luck....that is until the Boss's son, Tony, overhears Claudio's plan to bring U2 in and gets really excited. It turns out that Tony is the biggest U2 fan there is and has a shrine of U2 bobble heads on the dashboard of his car whom he prays to (FYI I want those bobbleheads).

Tony agrees to spare Claudio's life but they can only give him 7 days to come up with the money. So it is now a race against time as Claudio, his girlfriend and Tony try to raise the money to get the biggest band ever to do a concert and inevitably save Claudio's life.

Conclusion

OK I know that sounds like a ridiculous premise for a film but remember that is what I thought initially at first too. 7 Dias turned out to be one of those films that surprised the hell out of me and I hope you check it out and enjoy it as well.

So until next time remember that Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn baby's head (seriously that song plays like 12 times throughout the film :P)

For more suggestions on great films to watch you can check out my other reviews.

Everything is Illuminated

Pi

Once