Report: PlayStation 5 Pro in development

Abby_TheLastofUs

Would you buy a PS5 Pro?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a PS5 Pro?

7 minutes ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

I hate that this is you of all people posting it, because you're very factual. I don't see much point in a Pro right now, but the end of 2024? Maybe I will by then, either way I'll end up getting. I'll just do what I did with the PS4 and trade in my base version towards the Pro version.

Edited by Skurkitty

This should say Rumour instead of Report. 

Seems stupid and a kick in the teeth for all the people who got a PS5 early if they are already producing an upgraded version. Just because they did with the PS4 doesnt mean that PS5 needs a Pro version. We havent even reached potential of PS5 games yet while they are still releasing on PS4.

• Like 4

In all honesty a PS5 Pro seems kind of pointless right now. We aren’t even at the point where last gen has been phased out or where the PS5-only release standards are being pushed high enough that a new PS5 model with better specs is even necessary. However, I still haven’t upgraded to a PS5 yet so if there was a Pro model available I’d probably buy it when I do decide to finally upgrade. Might as well have the best available, right?

What I’ve really been waiting and hoping for though is something more along the lines of a PS5 slim, something cheaper, smaller, and more streamlined like previous generation PlayStation slim models. I suppose that’s what this detachable disc drive version is supposed to be though? That’s a little disappointing.

• Like 4

Sheesh, did we manifest this?

While this is a rumor, it's Tom Henderson reporting it, which gives me cause to believe it's indeed coming. Sony's gonna have a hell of a time trying to justify it though - even if I've had a PS5 since launch it feels like the generation is just starting now that everyone can actually get one. Couple that with there being marginal improvements that could actually be made and those improvements being in the hands of developers to implement to their games in addition to optimizing for the more "basic" hardware, there's really no point in doing a Pro model.

Here's hoping this goes the way of the "Switch Pro" in that it's heavily rumored with lots of corroboration and somehow just never actually materializes.

• Like 2

I don't really see why they'd make or anyone would want a PS5 Pro at this point in time, but wouldn't shock me if one materializes in the next few years.

Personally, I didn't get a PS4 Pro, I wouldn't get a PS5 Pro.  As long as all games continue to release for all variations of the PS5, I'm good with rolling with my PS5 until there's a PS6.  I'd probably be more likely to get a Slim at some point, both because I have a use for a second PS5 (a PSVR2 machine in a more convenient VR space than my office) and for whatever marginal hardware/build improvements they make at a decent price.

Edited by Dreakon13

This counts as a "Report"?

The entire basis of the "report" is:

This is “just the beginning of new hardware coming to PlayStation users this generation”, said one source when talking about the detachable disc drive console.

Really?

Well... nothing to do but wait and see what actually happens. Tom made sure to keep it nice and vague with no date, no details, no second source for corroboration, so no matter what releases in the future, people can history revise and shoehorn it back into his "report".

• Like 1

The article doesn't state that it's going to be a beefier PS5 or anything. It brings up the detachable disc drive of the upcoming slim model and mentions more hardware is coming. A further revised PS5 could be anything going by what the link states, from a stopgap to the PS6 to a portable version of the console itself.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

53 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't really see why they'd make or anyone would want a PS5 Pro at this point in time, but wouldn't shock me if one materializes in the next few years.

Personally, I didn't get a PS4 Pro, I wouldn't get a PS5 Pro.  As long as all games continue to release for all variations of the PS5, I'm good with rolling with my PS5 until there's a PS6.  I'd probably be more likely to get a Slim at some point, both because I have a use for a second PS5 (a PSVR2 machine in a more convenient VR space than my office) and for whatever marginal hardware/build improvements they make at a decent price.

That is ultimately what I did during the PS4 lifecycle. Kept my original PS4 but then bought the pro specifically for my downstairs office which had a better potential setup for the PSVR. I didn't use it as much, but now I really enjoy having multiple console areas to play. I recognize I'm fortunate enough to be able to buy two consoles, and replacing my PS4 Pro with the (let's face it) eventual PS5 Pro will be what will finally let me sell/give away my PS4 pro. 

16 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

No thanks. It’s all hype for little result.

Um consoles won’t have 60fps 4K and Ray for years. Pc can barely handle it without spending thousands on a machine. Especially on specific games.

I said it before and I'll keep saying it till it's not true; ray tracing is a meme.

Last time I said that it angered some people because they didn't understand what I was saying. I'm not saying that it isn't real, I'm saying that it isn't practical. You can't put it in AAA games on modern normal consumer hardware without absolutely fucking the performance of the game. No reason to include it in games other than for buzzword clickbait or if you want to improve an old game. Quake RTX is super cool as an example.

18 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

In all honesty a PS5 Pro seems kind of pointless right now. We aren’t even at the point where last gen has been phased out or where the PS5-only release standards are being pushed high enough that a new PS5 model with better specs is even necessary. However, I still haven’t upgraded to a PS5 yet so if there was a Pro model available I’d probably buy it when I do decide to finally upgrade. Might as well have the best available, right?

What I’ve really been waiting and hoping for though is something more along the lines of a PS5 slim, something cheaper, smaller, and more streamlined like previous generation PlayStation slim models. I suppose that’s what this detachable disc drive version is supposed to be though? That’s a little disappointing.

Believe it or not, PS5 is just over 2 years old, and end of next year would make it 4 years old. Pretty sure PS4 Pro came out at a similar time in the PS4's life span.

I think more concerning is that for 2 years it's been almost impossible to buy one, and 2 years later there's only 15 or so PS5 exclusive games, most other hit games on PS5 have also been available on PS4, X-Box or PC.

I never people going on about the haptic feedback anymore, other than Astro Boy did many other games use it? A bit like the Vita's back panel, a gimmick that soon faded away.

Arguably PS5 VR2 is gaining more traction. I haven't got a PS5 yet, infact a few days ago I bought a brand new PS4 slim since it's like half the price of a brand new PS5.

I was a slow upgrader from PS3 to PS4 but wow, I think I'm gonna be even later this time around, or maybe I won't get a PS5 at all. Not until they allow USB backup of saves anyway.

I maybe want to play FF7 Remake 2, but after calmly getting over the fact I can't play FF7 Remake 1 DLC. I think I can live without it.

The PS5 unit looks a bit dumb, and it's really big and difficult to dust, and the haptic controllers are it seems a bit more prone to breakage than PS4 ones.

I think I will wait. Like honestly, when the PS4 came out I was genuinely thinking "I'll get a PS4 soon, there's a lot to look forward too".

I don't have that feeling with the PS5 at all, especially looking at that price tag.

• Like 2

Personally, I don't believe anything that come from an "insider", no matter who he/she is. Not until it's 100% official.

Either way, I don't think that a Pro, Slim or any other model came out very soon. The console is been out for only 2 years, and almost the entire time has been supply problems.