Looking for some Dad games to try and plat

El_Shubi

Hey everyone,

Sorry if we have a topic like this, did try looking. I recently been struggling with what to play, started witcher Ps5 but just not getting into doing the same game again an committing so much time to it. I have a busy job and also a dad so dont really get much time to play. Been abandoning or  just not starting games that will take too long, be grindy or frustrate the hell out of me in my limited time. 

I recently (about two months ago) played the RE 2 and RE 3 remake. these games were perfect for me, wasnt a major time commitment, had good gameplay and story and wasnt terribly difficult to platinum(bought the DLC). was hoping i could find some more games that fit into this category. hoping I could get some suggestions or we could start a list for busy gamers who still wana hunt so trophies.

again sorry if there is a thread like this happy to just be directed there

thanks for reading

• Like 2

Fellow dad here.

So what I did unfortunately was starting to play offline games, easier games, and one that can be easily picked and played. I kinda like Dynasty Warriors games, always have. But in that game for example the difficult stuff gets less difficult because you are constantly levelling up characters, and you can start a game and save it at any time.

You shouldn't necessarily limit yourself to certain games, I don't. But certainly anything with online dependance, stay clear. Like if you buy a game at release then are busy for 2 weeks, that's a lot of time for the online to be suddenly dead. You might want to branch out on retro simple 2D anyway so you can start playing those games with your kid lol.

• Like 1

Journey to the Savage Planet is a lot of fun but whilst it does have some online trophies, most can be earned in a few mins and the rest have tricks you can use to avoid most of the requirements so you're looking at 30mins max to get them all done if your boosting partner has done the necessary prep work :).

No Man's Sky is another fun game, plus its sole online trophy is extremely fast and easy to get once you reach the appropriate part of the game :).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Fellow dad here.

So what I did unfortunately was starting to play offline games, easier games, and one that can be easily picked and played. I kinda like Dynasty Warriors games, always have. But in that game for example the difficult stuff gets less difficult because you are constantly levelling up characters, and you can start a game and save it at any time.

You shouldn't necessarily limit yourself to certain games, I don't. But certainly anything with online dependance, stay clear. Like if you buy a game at release then are busy for 2 weeks, that's a lot of time for the online to be suddenly dead. You might want to branch out on retro simple 2D anyway so you can start playing those games with your kid lol.

Thanks so much, ya my little guy is 4 he doesnt want to beat games just wants to make spyro run in a circle and breathe fire lol. not limiting on type but online, stuff does tend to be longer frustrating platinums. i also dont buy anything on release anymore coz by the time i actually play it/finish it its old already. feel like its a waste for me to destroy a games value leaving it catching dust. 

thanks for the suggestion will try Dynasty warriors like the idea of being able to stop and start anywhere. also games with stages are better than open world for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El_Shubi said:

thanks for the suggestion will try Dynasty warriors like the idea of being able to stop and start anywhere. also games with stages are better than open world for me. 

You can literally save right in the middle of a battle and then shut down the game, and reload where you were later on.

Samurai Warriors 4 is a good starting point, as it's 60fps even on base PS4. it's probably pretty cheap now too.

Also, it features split screen coop so in the future he could probably help you get platinum. I think they're great games because it's basically kill all the enemies until you win, so puzzles no keys to find, and if you want you can just button mash. I used to play it a lot with my dad for these particular reasons lol

Give him a souped up strong character while I choose a regular one and away we go. Of course since it's split screen you can stay together or go for a wander.

BTW my son is 4 too lol. Congrats!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, zizimonster said:

Seems like you enjoy linear games.

I recommend witch mum the game and the greatest ninja game.

These both look amazing,nice trailers didn't know same people that made Vanquish made bayonetta

6 hours ago, Abby_TheLastofUs said:

So you're looking for games that aren't too time consuming and aren't too difficult to platinum? Using Resident Evil 2 as a point of reference for time to plat/difficulty, I think these games fit the bill.

Some are short enough that you'll be done with them in a couple of hours.

Pyre
The Last of Us Part I

The Last of Us Part II

A Plague Tale: Innocence

A Plague Tale: Requiem

Paradise Killer

Dead Space

Chicory: A Colorful Tale

Return to Monkey Island

Transiruby

Stray
Citizen Sleeper

A Space For The Unbound

Life is Strange

Life is Strange: Before the Storm

Life is Strange 2

Life is Strange: True Colors

Gris

The Artful Escape

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy

Road 96

Signalis

Psychonauts 2

Alan Wake Remastered

Lost in Random

Fashion Police Squad

Until Dawn

The Quarry

Young Souls

The Pathless

Solar Ash

Bugsnax
Sable
Haven
Omensight
The Diofield Chronicle

RiME
What Remains of Edith Finch

The Outer Wilds

Dishonored (100% is a lot more challenging than getting the platinum)
Dishonored 2

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider

Owlboy
Tacoma
Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition

Night in the Woods

Fuga: Melodies of Steel

Thimbleweed Park

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Sayonara Wild Hearts

Far Cry Primal

Far Cry: New Dawn

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Children of Morta

Oxenfree
Unravel
2064: Read Only Memories

Assassin's Creed Rogue

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Steamworld Dig 2

The Gardens Between

Lost Words: Beyond the Page

198X
Cat Quest

Cat Quest II

Slime Rancher

Last Stop

Afterparty
Steven Universe: Save the Light

Steven Universe: Unleash the Light

Virginia

Vampyr

Donut County

Transistor

Tinykin

TOKYO DARK -Remembrance-

Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series

Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

The House in Fata Morgana

Tunic

Celeste (with assist mode, without it the game is extremely difficult to plat)

Rollerdome

Norco

Mundaun

Boyfriend Dungeon

Creaks

Spiritfarer

Knights and Bikes

Eastshade

A Short Hike

Return of the Obra Dinn

Serial Cleaners

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine

The Knight Witch

Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth

River City Girls

River City Girls 2

Headliner: NoviNews

Horace

Cosmic Star Heroine

Timespinner

The Messenger

This is an awesome list thank you so much will go through, I think some of these might be in my library and haven't been played from the monthly Ps plus games. Will work through this list should sort me out for a long time to come 

5 hours ago, enaysoft said:

You can literally save right in the middle of a battle and then shut down the game, and reload where you were later on.

Samurai Warriors 4 is a good starting point, as it's 60fps even on base PS4. it's probably pretty cheap now too.

Also, it features split screen coop so in the future he could probably help you get platinum. I think they're great games because it's basically kill all the enemies until you win, so puzzles no keys to find, and if you want you can just button mash. I used to play it a lot with my dad for these particular reasons lol

Give him a souped up strong character while I choose a regular one and away we go. Of course since it's split screen you can stay together or go for a wander.

BTW my son is 4 too lol. Congrats!

Congrats to you as well kids are amazing  can't wait until I can play everything with him 

5 hours ago, Slava said:

I'd recommend games like

Journey
Flower
Limbo
Inside

Abzu

Short (2-5 hours each) and linear experiences, beatable in one sitting. Light on the narrative, heavy on the vibe, although there's enough stuff to fill your brain if you pay attention to the background. Also, they're all beautiful in their own way. Most of them don't have a platinum though, I have to mention.

journey-game.gif

As for triple-A stuff,

Dead Space (I see you've played it a little bit) as far as I know is widely agreed upon to have perfect length, it's about 12 hours long.

Titanfall 2 (6 hours for story, about 15h to 100%).

Yes dead space was enjoying back on ps3 can't remember why I didn't finish it but I see there's a new remake of it, looks good. Also I think titanfall is in my library from PS plus.

Heard good things about journey also. Will watch some trailers and see the others. Thank you

• Like 3

so just an update, i downloaded Titanfall 2, Shadow of the tomb raider and life is strange as these were already in my library from ps plus 

started with Tomb raider got up to the empress jaguar fight. thinking i will drop into the other games in between coz i see tombraider requires 100% completion of the map, looks like it will take a while

On 1-4-2023 at 1:58 PM, Jelly Soup said:

Another dad here.

I know it's a meme at this point, but any simulator game. Something you can just pick away at whenever you've got time and every little thing feels like progress.

That is exactly what we have mostly started doing lately. I am playing Bus Simulator on PS4 and the missus is on Farming Simulator 15 on PS3. My wife does not play for trophies though and I am content to slowly work my way to a plat or 100%.

When you play on a console that has a sleep mode there is not really anything holding you back from playing any non multiplayer game.

One thing I did was drop boosting because it's become impossible to meet any schedule. That will probably improve again once the little girl becomes a little older.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 1

Another dad here. I always play when both kids go to bed and fell asleep. So usually 9pm-11pm is my playing time :).

So far cool suggestions, which I need to check out as well.

I can only recommend Titanfall 2 if you want a good story and awesome gameplay.

Lately, I have focused on singleplayer games that I can just continue whenever I like and just do a chapter or two (or three or four……). Games l could also recommend:

Tropico 5&6

Planet Coaster

God of War 2018 & Ragnarök

Curse of the dead Gods

Overcooked (all of them is super fun in coop with the better half)

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

Doom

On 4/1/2023 at 7:51 AM, El_Shubi said:

Thanks so much, ya my little guy is 4 he doesnt want to beat games just wants to make spyro run in a circle and breathe fire lol. not limiting on type but online, stuff does tend to be longer frustrating platinums. i also dont buy anything on release anymore coz by the time i actually play it/finish it its old already. feel like its a waste for me to destroy a games value leaving it catching dust. 

My son is 5 almost 6. What I did to try and engage him in games when he wanted to play was do some LEGO games. They are pretty easy for them to pick up on and they have fun just running around doing things while you can focus on certain things related to trophies. His favorite one was The Incredibles. He also enjoys Minecraft which you can put in creative mode (no trophies unfortunately in this mode) so they don't have to worry about dying and can be creative. We recently have been playing Fall Guys and Minecraft Dungeons together so it opens up more options as they get older, even in a short amount of time. It is quite amazing watching their little minds work on discovering something that we have been doing for years.

Lovely to see a dad thread! Keeping the hobby alive with other family commitments can be tough at times and I'm all for these shorter enjoyable experiences. I have a couple of shorter games on the go at the moment and they're so easy to drop in and out of.

Beyond the Page

Road 96

Party Hard

Tchia

Lake

Brothers Tale of Two Sons (no plat but a great little emotional story)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

That is exactly what we have mostly started doing lately. I am playing Bus Simulator on PS4 and the missus is on Farming Simulator 15 on PS3. My wife does not play for trophies though and I am content to slowly work my way to a plat or 100%.

When you play on a console that has a sleep mode there is not really anything holding you back from playing any non multiplayer game.

One thing I did was drop boosting because it's become impossible to meet any schedule. That will probably improve again once the little girl becomes a little older.

Actually its abit annoying that i live in South Africa. we have regular power outages and planned blackouts, so cant keep a console on sleep. 

i know that any non-multiplayer would be doable slowly but intention is to have a great experience and move on and not slog toward a plat over many many play sessions.

12 minutes ago, ZedsDeadStevo said:

Lovely to see a dad thread! Keeping the hobby alive with other family commitments can be tough at times and I'm all for these shorter enjoyable experiences. I have a couple of shorter games on the go at the moment and they're so easy to drop in and out of.

Beyond the Page

Road 96

Party Hard

Tchia

Lake

Brothers Tale of Two Sons (no plat but a great little emotional story)

thanks so much for this,

i deliberately named it dad games coz i knew dads will understand exactly what im getting at. 

• Like 1