Your PSVita GOTY in each year of its life?

Woodsteel95

What is your PS Vita GOTY in each year of its life during the years 2012-2018? This is my third thread on this series, I have also made "Your PS4 GOTY in each year of its life?" and "Your PS3 GOTY in each year of its life?". I had some difficulty deciding what year to end it on but seeing PSVita game releases in 2019 via wikipedia looking absolutely barren (it's literally just 6 games), I decided 2018. Can add 2019 to yours if you so wish.

Rules as from before:

1. Can be a multiplat as long as it's on PSVita, but if it's a late PSVita port has to be in the year the port released.

2. You do not have to have played or beat the game in the year it came out, for example I beat Killzone: Mercenary in 2016 I can still make it my 2013 GOTY because it originally came out 2013. I got a PSVita in 2015 myself.

3. Honorable mentions is optional. 

I'll start:

2012 - Persona 4 Golden

Honorable Mentions: Gravity Rush, Virtue's Last Reward

2013 - Killzone: Mercenary

Honorable Mention: Hotline Miami

2014 - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Honorable Mention: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

2015 - Steins;Gate

Honorable Mention: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

2016 - Steins;Gate 0

Honorable Mention: Zero Time Dilemma

2017 - Chaos;Child

Honorable Mention: Danganronpa v3: Killing Harmony

2018 - Death Mark

Edited by Woodsteel95
  • Like 4

2012: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

2013: Atelier Totori Plus: The Adventure of Arland

2014: Final Fantasy X-2 HD

2015: Dungeon Travelers 2

2016: Shiren The Wanderer

2017: Mary Skelter: Nightmares

2018: Mercenary Kings

A few of mine released the year before in Japan but I based mine off the year of the version I played

• Like 1

2012: Gravity Rush

L98999f.png

My favorite game on the system, and a strong contender for my favorite Sony IP. Honorable mentions go to Persona 4 Golden and Rayman Origins.

2013: Guacamelee!

L78d059.png

Definitely the Vita's strongest year, and the last in which it received any meaningful first-party support. Honorable mentions to Atelier Totori Plus, Tearaway, Terraria, and Ys: Memories of Celceta.

2014: The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Lc2981a.png

It really is shocking how quickly support dried up for the Vita. Less time passed between the Vita's launch and its last major first-party game than between the PS5's launch and the PS4's last. Honorable mentions to the first two Danganronpa titles and Final Fantasy X HD.

2015: Bastion

L5e5946.png

By this point we've well and truly entered the ports era. Honorable mentions to Shovel Knight, Titan Souls, and VVVVVV.

2016: Yomawari: Night Alone

L55836a.png

One of very few horror games I've beaten and enjoyed, but by this point releases have slowed so much that I don't have any honorable mentions.

2017: Salt and Sanctuary

L7b00db.png

I mentioned in the PS4 thread that this (in my opinion) was the best year for gaming ever, and thankfully the Vita got a little bit of that love. Honorable mentions to Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana.

2018: Stardew Valley

L0ce767.png

All good things must come to an end, and at least by my standards, the Vita's came in 2018 after the long-awaited port of Stardew Valley and the release of the Persona 3 and Persona 5 dancing spinoffs. Maybe I'd feel differently if Gnosia had gotten an English release, but as it stands, 2019 and beyond belong to Ratalika and company.

• Like 3

L98999f.png

2013: Muramasa Rebirth

Lee2ba4.png

2014: Hyperdimension Neptunia PP

L938e3e.png

2015: Hyperdimension Neptunia U

Lf5723f.png

2016: Megatagmension Blanc + Neptune vs Zombies

Lcbdc7f.png

2017: Drive Girls

Lfa44fd.png

I've bought the PS Vita mainly for the Neptunia series, so for me it will always be the console for playing the Nep Nep games from that era ?

• Like 2

2012 - Persona 4: Golden

2013 - Virtue’s Last Reward

2014 - Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

2015 - Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair
2016 - Zero Time Dilemma

2017 - Period Cube: Shackles of Amadeus

2018 - Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms

• Like 1

2012 - Spyhunter

2014 - Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus

Honorable mention Akiba's Trip Undead & Undressed (one of few games I own on all platforms)

2015 - Sword Art Online: Lost Song

Honorable mention Hyperdimension Neptunia Action Unleashed

2016 - Valkyrie Drive -Bhikkhuni-

2017 - Drive Girls

That is all my Vita games outside of PS1 classics.

• Like 1

2012 - Persona 4: Golden: Truly an amazing experience for me, the tone of the game is unrivalled.

- Honourable mention to Uncharted Golden Abyss and Unit 13

2013 - Guacamelee: super fun and played fantastically. 
- Honourable mention to Tearway and Sly Cooper Thieves in Time 

2014 - PixelJunk Shooter Ultimate: great pick up and play, chill puzzle shooter that plays and looks excellently.

- Honourable mention to Ratchet and Clank Collection

2015 - Super Time Force Ultra: such a unique shooter that has great pixel art, good gameplay and fun characters

- Honourable mention to Bastion and Person 4: Dancing All Night

2016 - The Last Blade 2: an insanely detailed fighting game, which incredible art (still to this day) and some fun story elements.

- Honourable mention to Severed

2017 - Salt and Sanctuary: a really great souls style 2D game, pretty much Dark Souls in 2D, loved it

- Honourable mention to Samurai Shodown V Special

2018 - Rogue Aces: soooo fun, great gameplay, the pixel art is amazing and the overall tone of the game is fun

- Honourable mention to Reverie

Edited by zachpicc
  • Like 2

2012: Uncharted Golden Abyss
2013: Killzone Mercenary
2014: Velocity 2x

2015: Geometry wars 3

2016: severed

2017: Papers Please
2018: Sir Eatsalot
2019: Shakedown Hawaii
2020: Demon's tier+
2021: Sturmfront Farewell edition

Absolutely love the vita and still use it every week, cleaning up so many games I have yet to play ^_^

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Void said:

Honorable mention Akiba's Trip Undead & Undressed (one of few games I own on all platforms)

I got the game on Vita as well and platted it, fucking loved it, also got the prequel on Switch. 

Man the framerate was absolutely rough, but I didn't have a TV in my room at the time and no way was I gonna play this game on the living room TV lmao. Same reason why I got Gal Gun on Vita.

2 hours ago, cam_manutd said:

2014: Final Fantasy X HD

How did it run on Vita? Was it rough?

Edited by Woodsteel95

3 hours ago, Woodsteel95 said:

I got the game on Vita as well and platted it, fucking loved it, also got the prequel on Switch. 

Man the framerate was absolutely rough, but I didn't have a TV in my room at the time and no way was I gonna play this game on the living room TV lmao. Same reason why I got Gal Gun on Vita.

I am waiting on the Director's cut, I hope the physical PS4 version form Asia or Japan has english on it since we get digital only though I will probably get the Switch version as well.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:06 AM, Woodsteel95 said:

had some difficulty deciding what year to end it on but seeing PSVita game releases in 2019 via wikipedia looking absolutely barren (it's literally just 6 games)

Not sure where you are seeing just 6 games released in 2019, but in actuality 76 vita games released in 2019. As well 55 in 2020, and 15 in 2021.

(Not counting the english asia physical exclusives, or Japan PSN exclusives release in those years as I don't have an accurate count on them all)

• 1 month later...

My GOTY for each year of vita

2012 - Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward

2013 - Dragon's Crown

2014 - Child of Light

2015 - Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

2016 - Odin Sphere Leifthrasir

2017 - Papers Please

2018 - Cosmic Star Heroine

2019 - Shakedown: Hawaii

2020 - Chasm

2021 - Horizon Chase Turbo

I have physical editions so their release year may differ from digital.

• Like 1

2012: Persona 4 Golden

2013: Amnesia V Edition

2014: Tales of Hearts R

2015: Ken ga kimi for V

2016: Collar x Malice

2017: Nil Admirari no Tenbin Kuroyuri En'yōtan

2018: Collar x Malice unlimited

2019: Pio Fiore no Banshou 

As you probably guessed, I use my vita to play mostly just otome games.

This is pretty much impossible, I have way to many Vita games and honorable mention would fill the screen. So I am listing this with circumstances rather then favorite. Also many are the Japanese versions. There is a huge connection with a few of them and the reason why Vita TV is my favorite Sony console.

Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen 2011 - GOTY for life - Finished on Diamond Princess 2020 Yokohama Covid incident during quarantine. One moment I'm thinking "Are we going to die?" But then I played this, Was 500 yen at Shinjuku Book Off. The world was watching us, it was pretty messed up and when the first people died I'm off in lala land playing this, yes I was scared.

地球防衛軍3 (EDF 2017) Portable 2012 -  An avid EDF fan and this is brilliant, I seriously almost crapped myself when I saw this at Den-den town Osaka, 2 Japanese boys laughed at me while looking at this,  I happily told them to fuck right off :) 

Akibas Trip 2 2013 - Finished on Diamond Princess 2020 Yokohama Covid incident during quarantine

地球防衛軍2PORTABLE V2 2014 - EDF fan forever

Tokyo Xanadu 2015 - Bought in Gamestop Sunset strip, My first trip to North America. amazing nation and people, Yes I love the U.S even when it was popular not to

Gundamn Breaker 3 2016 - Best of the 3 games

I've got to stop here, I have dozens of overlaps for years at this point.

2013: Killzone Mercenary

2014: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc

2015: Steins;Gate

2016: Zero Time Dilemma

2017: Haven't played 

2018: Haven't played

I didn't play much new games in the Vita's later years since most of its releases were on PS4 and they ran better there. I've been mainly playing lots of PS1/PSP classics on it. Shame it didn't reach its full potential but I'm that I got to enjoy it.