Scared to buy this game : The Witch and the Hundred Knight

This game it's awesome, one of the best JRPG that a I have played in the lasts months, a must buy for JRPG fan, I'm on chapter 10 with 60 Hours and I still keep playing non-stop for like 2 weeks.

And Metallia I'ts one of the best Character I have ever seen ina NIS game, very awesome woman.

I am not even a big fan of JRPGs, but this is in my top 3 favorite games ever. I wish there was some hundred knight psn avatars.

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't really put a lot of weight on reviewer feedback but its seeming to be consistant to what a lot of players are saying about it as well. I'm still interested in the game but more than likely, I'm going to wait until it at least drops to $20 before purchasing it.

This game is being given unfair reviews, mostly because most Americans suck and only care about the next call of duty game.

HEY! I'm American and I can't stand Call of Duty...and I don't suck! :shakefist:

Edited by merciful84

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. I don't really put a lot of weight on reviewer feedback but its seeming to be consistant to what a lot of players are saying about it as well. I'm still interested in the game but more than likely, I'm going to wait until it at least drops to $20 before purchasing it.

HEY! I'm American and I can't stand Call of Duty...and I don't suck! :shakefist:

Exactly, about that i was referring, many people has been complaining about technical things in this game, i'm still interested because would be my first jrpg/hack&slash (a la diablo). Fingers crossed for a good discount.

Exactly, about that i was referring, many people has been complaining about technical things in this game, i'm still interested because would be my first jrpg/hack&slash (a la diablo). Fingers crossed for a good discount.

The game has technical issues, but they're minor enough to cut NIS some slack since this is the first action RPG they've made.

This looks like so much fun and Metallia's character is one of the reasons I really want to play this game. Most protagonists are cheerful, stereotypical heroes so this will be a nice change to play as a "distasteful" witch. I also don't think the reviews were very justified since so many people have enjoyed it.

The only thing keeping me from buying this right now is the price since it's still at 39.99 from most stores and I can't afford that right now. As soon as it drops a little bit I'll be picking it up right away, it looks great! :D

• 1 month later...

I liked the story a lot, and the dialog in my opinion was great! I saw a lot of dislike towards the way Metallia talked, but that is the kind of character she is. Cocky and always throwing out verbal insults. The combat can get repetitive, but I didn't mind the grind so much. 

• 2 weeks later...

I never trust reviews especially when it comes to NiS or JRPG's in general.

This is so true it hurts... most NIS games always get hammered down by reviews. Think that Disgaea is pretty much the sole exception here (and even Disgaea gets hammered by some reviewers).

Anyway, started playing the game today and personally I feel it's worth it. Gameplay's interesting and faster paced than their usual games and the characters/dialogues... well let's just say it's totally NIS.

About people saying that she's dislikable... i'd compare that to giving a bad review to Disgaea 1 cause Laharl is mean/evil :P

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews have been abysmal ... i feel i'll be dissapointed with this one.

Anyone tried it???

This is one of the best games you'll ever play in your whole life, I can promise you that. Though you need to get the real ending for the story to actually start fisting your ass

About people saying that she's dislikable... i'd compare that to giving a bad review to Disgaea 1 cause Laharl is mean/evil  :P

Laharl is mean/evil cus hes a demon, thats just how the netherworld works. Metallica is only dislikable if your not far in the story and havn't started the real ending, because she has a SAD story

Edited by Kumies

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

This game is very boring and not rewarding at all. Also it has some moments of unreasonable violence and swearing, which I found very uncomfortable to watch. If this is best of NIS library, I rather will avoid they games.

Update: Actually, midgame they suddenly drop they creepy torturing/gang raping/vomiting/cannibalism acting and constant swearing, plus you gain ability to sprint a reasonable distance, and the game becomes actually decent. Not great, just decent, IMHO. Why gamedevs decides that jRPG strongly based on exploration need a pathetic, "Evil Within" style, few-steps sprinting, is a great mystery to me.

Edited by p45544554

• 9 months later...

Almost 30 hours (chapter 11-2) and I can say that this game is now one the best titles I played so far on PS3. 

PS: Do not be fooled with the character designs and kawaii stuff - the language is very offensive and like the post above most people might find it irritating. 

• 11 months later...

I think the game is decent.  One thing I don't particularly like is the censored swearing.  I'm of the opinion that if you're going to have characters swear, then it shouldn't censored.  Ever.  Either have them curse uncensored, or use other, less explicit language that nonetheless conveys the same overall meaning.  It's annoying and I would rather they just toned down the language.

As for the gameplay, for the most part I find it quite a bit fun.  I also like the exploration of the maps.  I will agree with some of the comments about the graphics.  This is a game that with a few tweaks, the Playstation 2 could've pulled off.  That is not a compliment to the game's visuals.  I do have the PS4 remaster purchased (bought the PS3 version after forgetting I had the remaster >_<), so hopefully that version is prettier.  

I'm currently at chapter eight.  I would say that based on my experience with the game thus far, I would grade it a B.