PS5 HDR Setting

Cryogenicide_X

Like I mentioned in the other thread you asked this in, I usually had it on "Only When Supported". But I turned it to always on for WWE 2K23 (which doesn't support HDR for some weird reason) and the game looks WAYYY better. A little darker, but the colors absolutely pop with it as without it, the game almost has this effect where it looks like the brightness is up a little too high. 

However that doesn't mean HDR will look good for everything. Having it "On When Supported" will give you what was intended from the devs. WWE 2K23 might be the odd duck here as it looks like a game that should support HDR anyways. So it'd still be a more case by case basis. 

• 9 months later...

Mine is on when supported, though recently I noticed i been playing way too many games that actually dont support HDR and because of that its giving me the black screen a lot. The screen that changes from the HDR PS5 UI to a non HDR, its annoying that 5 seconds pause...this black screen wasnt a thing a few firmwares back. I guess its to make it synchronize better? but I rather not have that black screen.

Edited by Fing3rButt3r3

8 hours ago, Fing3rButt3r3 said:

Mine is on when supported, though recently I noticed i been playing way too many games that actually dont support HDR and because of that its giving me the black screen a lot. The screen that changes from the HDR PS5 UI to a non HDR, its annoying that 5 seconds pause...this black screen wasnt a thing a few firmwares back. I guess its to make it synchronize better? but I rather not have that black screen.

This is just your TV switching the video signal. All HDR-supported TVs do it and there's no way to stop it.

It will also do it if your TV and the game you're playing supports 120hz and VRR.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2024 at 9:08 AM, Jacko_the_lad said:

This is just your TV switching the video signal. All HDR-supported TVs do it and there's no way to stop it.

It will also do it if your TV and the game you're playing supports 120hz and VRR.

So this happens to everyone? I thought it was only me, and I tried everything, but I couldn't fix it. Whenever I play a PS5 game, usually when I close the app, I get a black screen for a couple of seconds before I am back at the PS5 home screen. It happens both on my TV and monitor (both support HDR), and I also tried changing HDR settings from 'Always On' to 'On When Supported' and 'Always Off,' but nothing fixed it, sadly.

• Like 1

I hate, I repeat… HATE experiencing the black screen but like there’s an option besides “always on” and “off”? I wish not resorting to either, thanks.

Edited by Dry

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2024 at 8:21 PM, Dry said:

I hate, I repeat… HATE experiencing the black screen but like there’s an option besides “always on” and “off”? I wish not resorting to either, thanks.

You can actually fix that by turning the 120Hz option off. It's very stupid because it defeats the purpose of having a high refresh rate Monitor & TV but that stopped the black screen thing for me.

On 3/16/2024 at 8:01 AM, Buhkup said:

You can actually fix that by turning the 120Hz option off. It's very stupid because it defeats the purpose of having a high refresh rate Monitor & TV but that stopped the black screen thing for me.

GENIUS!

EDIT: I’m getting it again for some games but not others (as proven by Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, a game that would go black on me twice upon title launch with 120Hz enabled but only once as it’s disabled).

Edited by Dry