To those who want to play this game...

Mattiechuu

Don't. This is the biggest pile of trash I've ever played... and believe me, I've played some rotters. Crash Dummy comes to mind, which I paid 99p for when it was 98% off and was just awful. Other gems include a few of the breakthrough gaming titles, some ratalaika ones and of course, the fantastic stroke the snake, just for the name!

Now, I got this game when it was a PS plus monthly game and I still feel completely ripped off. We could have gotten literally ANYTHING else. A pile of dog poo would have been less offensive.

So, where do I even begin? I started this game with my partner, who wanted a "fun survival game to play together." Well, this is anything but that. The multiplayer just flat out doesn't work. You can and will get booted out at all times. In fact it got so bad, we had to stop playing altogether. But hey, at least I could use the save to continue my trophy hunt right? Wrong. Online and offline saves are seperate so I had to start this trash again.

Then you get to the game itself. It's beyond broken. You can and will clip through pretty much everything. Resources clip through the ground, mountains, and whatever else you can think of. Wildlife clips through stuff, can run underwater and move vehicles. Everything is SO ugly. This game would run on the PS2. Which makes that constant framerate drop everytime you get near a new island all the more unforgivable.

You can get stuck inside a ton of the copy and paste ship wrecks, meaning you have to reload your previous save. Speaking of saving, you roll the dice when you do save on whether the game will crash. Then, you can only save at a shelter you've made, or if you're lugging around a sleeping bag with you, taking up precious inventory space in a survival game with only 10 slots. 

Travel between islands is extremely boring, with you spending upwards of 10 minutes sailing the empty sea to get between islands. Waiting. And waiting. And waiting. For anything at all to happen.

Farming is just broken. If your crops die, you have to either find a new one, like finding a needle in a haystack. Or, you have to wait for rain, then save and reload your game while the plot has water in. Oh, and you can go without rain for well over 20 in game days. When an in game day takes about 40-45 minutes real time... you see the problem?

Fishing? Broken. Fish will just get stuck on your spear, unable to come off no matter what you do, rendering the item, the fish and your time meaningless.

The bosses are an absolute joke. Either you fight them properly and get killed over and over again because they are the most idiotically designed fights ever, or you can cheese them and spend 15 minutes slowly picking off an enemy that's slowly circling you. Fun!

Trying to even get on your raft or manoeuvre it round the shoals is an absolute nightmare, as the controls are what feels like a practical joke.

There are 3 whole voice lines in the game. They play when skinning animals. 40 days in, and your character is still saying "ugh, disgusting" every single time you get meat. Could the "developers" not even put in a few more lines, dependent on the amount of time you've been playing. Showing you getting accustomed to the lifestyle and the journey this nameless character is on. I put developers in quotation marks because they feel more like criminals having unleashed this hell upon the world.

"Oh, but it's a small indie company" I hear you say. Well, when games like Stardew Valley and Undertale exist, made by a single person and are so polished and get such critical acclaim. How can an entire company put something like this out and feel good about themselves?

Then you get the ending, which I am not going to even bother marking with a spoiler because it is SO idiotic. You repair a plane to get you out of this place... when a plane crash is what caused your situation in the first place. Then, you crash into another plane and die. Game ends. Just. Wow.

TL;DR

Game is ugly, broken, buggy, monotonous and controls like trash. Save yourself the headache and play anything else.

The game was released in 2020. It's now 2023 and it's still filled with all this trash.

Edited by Mattiechuu
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MRTheChez said:

I was new to Stranded Deep but I loved every piece of it. It really felt like a survival game. And it has Coop now too if I'm right?

It sure does. Connection is a bit unstable, but then again just about every connection of mine is unstable here in China, haha

I echo all your points, honestly. The game felt like a constant chore to even play. The controls are unintuitive and everything just feels.... wonky. I can get over graphics and whatnot, but this just feels like trying to do trim work on a house of cards.

Rant is missing complaints about the stupid shark and the incredibly annoying instant reload thorned starfish, nothing quite like being bored for 10 minutes while slowly getting to another island and then instantly landing on a starfish when you jump off your raft so you have to reload because it is not worth bothering to search the shit required for an antidote. I agree that this game is a buggy mess, not really fun either for the most part, I have played far worse games though so I wouldn't be quite as harsh on it, at least it worked better for me than Subnautica, which was so broken in my first 2-3 hours that I decided to not even bother with it properly and just used the shortcuts to get it done asap and move on..

55 minutes ago, Dauersack said:

Rant is missing complaints about the stupid shark and the incredibly annoying instant reload thorned starfish, nothing quite like being bored for 10 minutes while slowly getting to another island and then instantly landing on a starfish when you jump off your raft so you have to reload because it is not worth bothering to search the shit required for an antidote. I agree that this game is a buggy mess, not really fun either for the most part, I have played far worse games though so I wouldn't be quite as harsh on it, at least it worked better for me than Subnautica, which was so broken in my first 2-3 hours that I decided to not even bother with it properly and just used the shortcuts to get it done asap and move on..

That's a real shame you feel that way about Subnautica. It's admittedly not the most polished technically but the game itself is one of the best games I've ever played.

Part of the reason why I don't want to start Stranded Deep is because I know I'm just going to spend the entire time comparing the two. The OP makes the latter sound like a nightmare!

That ending actually sounds good

like its a metaphor or something with a weird twist of fate that you should have just stayed on the island but then you meet your demise during a similar incident that you previously narrowly escaped death from

shoulda played the hand you were dealt

Kinda gives me final destination vibes