If you're banned from PC Titanfall for cheating, you're forced to play with other cheaters

Lady Lilith

why what is happening?

Basically, they're doing the exact same thing, except they're not letting non-bad sports play with their bad sport friends and they're being bad sports for things they shouldn't be a bad sport for (blowing up cars belonging to players).

There are a few mmo's that ave done this for quite a while now.

Only without this part -  

When anyone in your party is banned, then everyone in your party will be treated as banned for that play session. If you are a non-cheater and you invite a cheater friend into a party, you will be stuck playing against cheaters. If you stop inviting your cheater friend, you will once again get to play with the non-cheater population. You do not get permanently tainted just by playing with a cheater - you are only banned for cheating if you are actually cheating.

Because it will be hilarious when it turns into a virus that converts all players to cheaters.  :P

Edited by A12621A

I dunno why people are acting so hyped about this. Games (on PC) have had cheat blockers for decades and news flash - they aren't super effective. Games have been banning/blocking cheaters for a long time but of course they still show up because the detection software isn't fool proof. Now instead of just blocking the cheater from playing they are saying ok you can play with other cheaters and everyone here is like "omg best thing ever" - almost as if cheating has just been openly permitted until now. This is on PC, not PS3. In spite of what some people wanna believe maybe because they get constantly wrecked in COD or whatever but modding/cheating isn't really common on PS3, if it even happens at all.  People can hack their stats and boost and stuff like that, but people aren't using aimbots on PS3...are they? Don't think so. 

Nothing special to see here. And nothing original in this idea other than actually letting cheaters play instead of banning/blocking them outright which has always been the norm.

I agree with MR_Hej's point tho I always thought it was really lame that R* gave you 'badsport' points for blowing up someone's car...which you might not even do on purpose, but even if you did this is a game where you're actively encouraged to kill other players.

Edited by lporiginalg

I think Valve has been doing this with DOTA for a while now, but with rage-quitters - I.e. if you quit out of matches you only get matched with other people who quit out too, so basically you can still play, but you'll probably never finish a game :D

I dunno why people are acting so hyped about this. Games (on PC) have had cheat blockers for decades and news flash - they aren't super effective. Games have been banning/blocking cheaters for a long time but of course they still show up because the detection software isn't fool proof. Now instead of just blocking the cheater from playing they are saying ok you can play with other cheaters and everyone here is like "omg best thing ever" - almost as if cheating has just been openly permitted until now. This is on PC, not PS3. In spite of what some people wanna believe maybe because they get constantly wrecked in COD or whatever but modding/cheating isn't really common on PS3, if it even happens at all.  People can hack their stats and boost and stuff like that, but people aren't using aimbots on PS3...are they? Don't think so. 

Nothing special to see here. And nothing original in this idea other than actually letting cheaters play instead of banning/blocking them outright which has always been the norm.

I agree with MR_Hej's point tho I always thought it was really lame that R* gave you 'badsport' points for blowing up someone's car...which you might not even do on purpose, but even if you did this is a game where you're actively encouraged to kill other players.

You keep bringing up the fact that this is for the PC and not PS3, we know that, it is in the title of the thread and the article as well. Maybe people are just happy knowing that douchers who ruin other peoples games are going to have to play with other douche-canoes too. If it is successful maybe they can bring it to console as well.

As far as hacking on the PS3, it definitely happens. When is the last time you popped in CoD 4 or Modern Warfare 2? Both those games are rampant with hackers and I found far more lobbies with hackers in it than I found clean lobbies. Now I know I'm not the best player in the world but when there are people on top of buildings or outside the map and every bullet they shoot (no matter where they aim) connects, I'd call that a hacker. Granted, that doesn't seem to happen until after the game loses popularity, but they still ruin many a game and they are definitely on PS3. 

Parker

Ok I may well be wrong that people don't mod on PS3 etc but here's a question, if console hacking is so rampant then why is this policy only for PC and not for consoles? Riddle me that please good sir. Maybe every single person reading this was fully aware that this is a PC policy only, but their reaction still doesn't make any sense. 

Sony has a policy that if you are caught hacking your console it is banned from PSN for life.

Here's activision's policy if you are caught hacking/modding COD:

First offense: User will be permanently banned from playing the game online, will have their stats & emblems reset, and will be blocked permanently from appearing in leaderboards.

Permanent bans are standard practice for hacking, but here everybody is jumping for joy that hackers will get to keep playing. Makes about zero sense if you ask me.

Edited by lporiginalg

• 3 weeks later...

Traditionally - hacker behaviour where this is concerned is dictated by a compulsion to circumvent one or more systems in order to break the product or get an unnatural advantage over 'regular' players.

If someone is banned outright for hacking - they will just work around it and keep going at it over and over again. If you put them in a 'naughty server' with a bunch of the same type - the battleground is evened out. It names and shames you essentially.

It has far more benefit than banning someone outright - which over many many years of happening is proven not to work in any way shape or form.

If you put them in a 'naughty server' with a bunch of the same type - the battleground is evened out. It names and shames you essentially.

Yeah, like prison, where you put the murderers and rapists in with jaywalkers.... Totally even....

Especially when someone accidentally stumbles onto a glitch or irks a mod who decides to throw them to the wolves....

If I pay for a game, they should fix the glitches and take away the advantages gained through hacking, not let the other person gain an unfair advantage and then if I accidentally screw up my gameplay is forever ruined.....

I remember when game makers were expected to fix their mistakes, not ignore it and call it a feature. The whole development model nowadays is crap, especially when a company (like with the game Prototype 2) can fire the programmers right after release and never patch the problems, but expect everyone to stay brand loyal.

Edited by Ender_0

Traditionally - hacker behaviour where this is concerned is dictated by a compulsion to circumvent one or more systems in order to break the product or get an unnatural advantage over 'regular' players.

If someone is banned outright for hacking - they will just work around it and keep going at it over and over again. If you put them in a 'naughty server' with a bunch of the same type - the battleground is evened out. It names and shames you essentially.

It has far more benefit than banning someone outright - which over many many years of happening is proven not to work in any way shape or form.

Again I'm sorry but I just don't see any logic here. You're absolutely correct that perma-bans are not an airtight solution, but you are equally incorrect to suggest that this 'naughty server' solution is somehow better, or even different. Even if there was an element of naming and shaming, which the article doesn't really do anything to suggest, people can change their names, innit?

At the end of the day the only real solution would be airtight detection software, which is basically impossible, it's like asking for pirate-proof software, all your doing is issueing a challenge to the hackers and they will win and you will lose every time. But theoretically, in magical christmas land if you could have an airtight detection, then wether you perma ban them or let them play with other hackers is pretty irrevelant to all the clean players.

Yeah, like prison, where you put the murderers and rapists in with jaywalkers.... Totally even....

Especially when someone accidentally stumbles onto a glitch or irks a mod who decides to throw them to the wolves....

If I pay for a game, they should fix the glitches and take away the advantages gained through hacking, not let the other person gain an unfair advantage and then if I accidentally screw up my gameplay is forever ruined.....

I remember when game makers were expected to fix their mistakes, not ignore it and call it a feature. The whole development model nowadays is crap, especially when a company (like with the game Prototype 2) can fire the programmers right after release and never patch the problems, but expect everyone to stay brand loyal.

I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that there would be some kind of right to appeal for those that either accidentally land themselves in a glitch or feel that they shouldn't be there. The last sentence you put has a whole lot more going on in it, and I don't disagree with what you wrote in it, but i reckon that deserves it's own discussion thread in itself :)

Again I'm sorry but I just don't see any logic here. You're absolutely correct that perma-bans are not an airtight solution, but you are equally incorrect to suggest that this 'naughty server' solution is somehow better, or even different. Even if there was an element of naming and shaming, which the article doesn't really do anything to suggest, people can change their names, innit?

At the end of the day the only real solution would be airtight detection software, which is basically impossible, it's like asking for pirate-proof software, all your doing is issueing a challenge to the hackers and they will win and you will lose every time. But theoretically, in magical christmas land if you could have an airtight detection, then wether you perma ban them or let them play with other hackers is pretty irrevelant to all the clean players.

I think you hit the nail on the head there man - i don't think hacking or exploiting could ever be beaten or 100% fixed - as you said there isn't anything airtight enough to hold that up. I admire the Titanfall guys & girls for thinking a little outside the box with their dedicated server, it is certainly a different approach to the majority of approaches out there. I'm wondering if 10 or even 20 years down the line we would be in a situation as gamers where hacking/exploiting is a thing of the past, based on evolving game technology and development structure. Would be interesting if we would be at a point where we'd be saying stuff like 'Hey remember that time when games had hackers and exploiters?'