GameSpy servers gone offline!

X_RaceKing_X

GameSpy pulled the plugs on many games! Delayed as it was for January sadly. This so far is for NA only, JP, EU, and AU are unaffected for now.

GameSpyDown_1361491986.jpg

GameSpy, as we know it, began in 1999. Today, 14 years later, it has reached the end of the road. We had a good run, and we want to sincerely thank all of you for reading and joining in discussions with us. It's been fantastic.

Just to be clear, we're not being shut down because PC gaming isn't a big, important, and growing thing -- because it is. That's not even debatable. It's not even because the GameSpy staff did a bad job of talking about it. Hell, from where I'm sitting we did anawesome job, particularly in covering the technical quality of PC versions of cross-platform games in our Port Authority features, reality-checking the hype of about-to-be-released big games with our Questions & Concerns series, delving into the nuances of MMORPGs, strategy, MOBAs, and simulations in our columns, regularly checking up on free-to-play games in Free Agent, calling out Microsoft's neglect of PC gamers, mocking Ubisoft's claims of a day-and-date PC release of Assassin's Creed 3, breaking the news on SimCity's lack of save/reload, and of course our amazingly bizarre The War Z interview.

Why is this closure happening, then? It's a business thing, and like most business things it's not easy to explain or understand unless you spend all day crunching numbers and paying bills. Which I don't. So here's the simple version that even I can comprehend: Ziff Davis wants to run an efficient, focused company, and managing several different sites that all cover videogames isn't exactly the model of efficiency. Even though GameSpy had its own unique voice that was separate and distinct from those of our sister sites, and there has always been value in that, it's hard to argue with that logic. Even if it does totally suck.

The silver lining is that the value of all of the voices and opinions of our staff and writers won't just go away. We'll still be out there talking and writing about the great things happening in the world of PC gaming, both at IGN and other places around the internet, because it's what we love to do. It's why we wanted to work at GameSpy in the first place. We hope you'll keep reading and watching and talking about PC games with us.

On that note, here's a list of the people -- and associated Twitter names -- who helped make GameSpy the fun and insightful PC gaming site it's been for the past year. I think you'll find there's more where that came from.

- Dan Stapleton, Editor in Chief

The following games that have been disconnected from GameSpy are:

F.E.A.R 2

Borderlands
Bulletstorm
Unreal Tournament 3
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battle Cars
Dungeon Defenders
High Stakes on the Vegas Strip: Poker Edition
Gotham City Impostors
FUEL
Grand Theft Auto IV
Midnight Club Los Angeles
Hunted: The Demon's Forge
Guardians of Middle-Earth
SBK Generations
Lost Planet 3
Mortal Kombat
Crysis 2
Sniper Elite
Age of Booty

UPDATE:
all games or most games have been brought back up due to server migration

If there are any games that are unlisted and you know have been disconnected by GameSpy, list them below.
Edited by X_RaceKing_X

I was considering trying for the GTA IV platinum soon. I'm so glad I didn't now. I don't think I could handle an uncompletable game.

I also believe Dungeon Defenders was only given out last week for free on Xbox's Games With Gold service. That kind of sucks for them.

So what - is ps3 versions going offline as well? o.O

Wait I'm confused. What you're saying is that Gamespy runs the multiplayer servers for PS3 games like GTA4 and Borderlands and because they're shutting down the servers won't be up?

I'm pretty sure this does not affect PS3, right?? :o

yes i can confirm this, i cant connect to gtaiv servers. so yea this of course applies to PS3