Launch Reflections Thus Far

dontwaketheKIDS

Yeah, I'm pretty disgusted with gamers reactions to the PS4 PS+ content. I think we're lucky Sony is putting any games in there at all and for someone to expect triple A games on a 4 month old console is very silly, in my opinion. 

I'm very happy with my PS4 so far. I think it has actually had the best selection of launch (or near launch) titles in quite a few generations and Sony has been adding features the community has been asking for at a pretty decent rate so no complaints from me there either. You're absolutely right though, it is a fantastic time to be a gamer. You wouldn't be able to tell from the amount of complaining on some forums though, which is unfortunate. 

Parker

• Like 2

Pretty much every one of those complaints, and complainers, is idiotic. Console launches have always been slow and this is for 30+ years. Several of them clearly sound like the kind of person who feel like they don't like something so why would anyone else.

The Xbox side gets the same complaints as well as some other equally idiotic ones.

Trust me, if people weren't complaining about the PS3 games being ported to PS4, which just gives people more games to play, they'd be complaining about the lack of games on the system.

• Like 1

I have to admit that I was expecting better games for PS+ PS4, I understand that it's only been out for 5 months and I don't say that Mercenary Kings is a bad game, but we can't say that PS+ is getting better after having BF3, NFS Most Wanted, Demon's Soul,Far Cry 3, AC3 and so many great games.

Dead Nation, Don't Starve and Mercenary Kings are good games, but nothing to be compared to those I've previously mentioned so I guess that's where the gamers feel betrayed and are losing interest on PS+.

I just hope that Sony will hear them out and not think like 'Meh... Those who wanna play online on Ps4 have to buy PS+ so we don't care wich game we put in the IGC' . I have faith that Sony will not think like that **crossing fingers**

Console launches are a Catch 22.

Either you early adopt and get upset because there are no games or you wait for good games to be released but because no one bought the system at launch companies don't want to invest in good games for it.

Or you play the great but limited selection of games the console has, without complaining, and wait for even more great games to release. 

Parker

• Like 1

Or you play the great but limited selection of games the console has, without complaining, and wait for even more great games to release. 

Parker

Well that is what smart people do, sure, but I worked for Sony during the Vita launch and all I heard was "where are the games" despite the fact that Vita had one of the best launches ever. Uncharted, Modnation, Hotshots, Escape Plan, Wipeout, and then Gravity Rush and Resistance in the next couple of months followed up with Littlebig Planet later that year. So people held off on adopting one and now the system is having a hard time getting support.

A better example is Wii-U where people refuse to buy one due to the lack of 3rd party support but no 3rd party is going to develop for it because it has such a low sales number. So it will continue to sell badly due to no games and developers will continue to not support it.

The PS4 is in a better situation though due to its great sales and the history of the PS3. They will need to start bringing out the titles more frequently but that will come at a cost of the PS3 which they are not ready to give up on yet. 

• Like 1

To be honest, my PS3 has been getting more play lately, and Vita most of all.  I need to remind myself that the Remote Play is seamless with the PS4 and play more of its games more regularly.

But I'm very happy that I was a day 1 purchaser and have made the switch from Xbox this gen. 

Funny how PS3 may have slightly hurt its chances last gen by trying to postition itself as a general entertainment hub (at least at first), whereas XB1 has done that exact thing this gen.

Plus getting the pricing right.  PS3 was crazy expensive at launch when compared to the 360, if I remember correctly, but that has flipped too.

I'd like to see support for external HDD (if possible?) as I can tell 500GB might not last very long when enough games come out.  Support for other media files would be good - it'd be nice to be able to play my MP3s on it when I want some music.

Totally agree that it's awesome that there are so many quality indie titles on IGC for it.  They're hardly going to put a 5 month old "AAA" game on there now, are they? (The PSN has already had some PS4 sales.  I got Thief for 50% off yesterday here in UK.)

Overall, v happy with the machine.  I should be giving it more attention.  Would love a game with a strong co-op campaign as playing with my bestie, who lives in another part of the country, is my favourite way to play.

Except what you're both forgetting is that not everyone has the same tastes so just because both of you liked the launch lineups doesn't make it any less of a valid complaint for someone else. Granted, people could certainly think a bit more about what they say since most gamers these days don't seem capable of expressing a legitimate concern or thought without resorting to a flaming mentality with "fuck you (whatever company they're talking to)" usually thrown in at some point.

Not to mention that, as has been pointed out several times on numerous message boards since the launch of both the Xbox One and the PS4, and the Vita and probably every console launch since the internet existed, console launches are always slow. People can easily research what games are coming out and how past console launches went and if they still complain about a lack of games then they're just being whiny. Personally speaking I think past PS launches as well as the Xbox One launch were all better than the PS4 launch, however, that is of course my personal opinion and at the same time I am also glad that there are so many games out now which provides a large majority of the people with something to play. Edit: By the time I got a Vita, which was 4 months after launch, there were a few games I wanted but looking at what released the same day I think the Vita had probably one of the most well rounded launch lineups Sony has ever done. 

@StrickenBiged - External HDD support will happen but not how it sounds like you want it. Unless they've changed their stance, which could be as I don't think anything has been said about it in a few months, they've stated before that external HDD support with the PS4 will only be capable of doing the same things it can now with the PS3, which means not much, no full games, no game saves - though you can backup the saves to an external HDD but just won't be able to select it as your primary location.

Edited by BooneJusticius

You didn't pay a dime extra. People need to stop expecting the world from the IGC and appreciate the amazing things they already have.

I agree that we ain't paid more but we haven't had more neither.. And I appreciate all of the games that went out on PS+, I've tried them all since June/2013 and have enjoyed a lot of them. I'm sorry but I just said that I (and a lot of people) were expecting for more from the PS+ on Ps4 and my expectations wasn't matched with the games that had come out. I know it would be crazy to think that Sony will give us Killzone or AC right now, but let me remind you that we should had #Driveclub on November for free, instead of that we had Contrast.... I like it but you got the point  ;)

Of course everything i'm about to say is opinion based but I'll try and stay some bit logical....

The PS4 is the first time I bought a console day 1, (My PS2 I got 3 years after launch and my PS3 2 years after launch). I think the type of gamer and the type of games you enjoy is the main factor that determines your enjoyment of a launch lineup, While I love a wide variety of single player games and different types. I also spend a crap ton of time playing and enjoying multiplayer FPS with my firends, I got Battlefield 4 at launch with my PS4, I probably put around 300 hours into Battlefield 3 so I knew BF4 would be something me and my mates would enjoy. Yes, it also came out for PS3 but there are large differences between both versions.

I've already put 120 hours into the game and i'm still not bored, so for someone like me who has a competitive game like that I'm not really feeling a "game drought."

And aside from BF4, I have played a fine selection of other PS4 games, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, Tomb Raider....not to mention the PS+ games, so what if there not as massive as triple A games, that doesn't lessen their enjoyabilty. Resogun was so addictive, I loved the dark theme of Don't Starve and i'm looking forward to trying out Mercenary Kings.

Over all I've been quite happy with the first few months of the PS4's life cycle, it will take while for the massive RPG's to come and I don't mind waiting. I haven't even had to mention the performance of the machine, its so fast and I love the interface! Anyway I don't regret getting it day 1!

• Like 1

Its okay I suppose the system seems promising and nice variety of games are being announced, the complaints about the free games being given are to put it bluntly is ridiculous due to how early it is, I personally kinda like it since it gives me a chance to try indie games I wouldn't try in first place (Contrast is awesome). I do have on complaint however...where are my themes?

I know people hate it when things get put into bullet points, but it makes it easier for me to convey my thoughts.

- The Hardware

Overall, I'm happy with it. The controller feels great to use, I like that I don't have to avert my attention from the screen when using the touchpad, it makes a fair bit of noise using it but that's cool, I mostly play games when no one is home anyway. I haven't personally encountered those problems people are getting (Games being deleted etc.) although at the very beginning the console felt somewhat buggy but fixed itself. It gave that "I'm still learning what I do" effect (probably just getting used to computer protocols or something like that). Hasn't been buggy since.

- Games

So far, I've enjoyed most of the games. Granted, I still haven't even played Ground Zeroes or Thief yet. Most of the games are ports, but other than the exception of my Lego Marvel data corrupting, I haven't been pissed about it. Knack was a nice game. I like it when you fall into a pit trap that you couldn't even tell was a pit trap the first time around because it blended in so well. I haven't played much of Shadow Fall though. It hasn't worked for me. Second Son is brilliant though.

- PS Plus

I'll honestly say that I like that we're getting this smaller titles for PS Plus instead of major AAA on the shelf stuff. I know that on the PS3 and Vita we get titles that you'd probably grab off the shelf a year before, but I never usually find myself buying from the online market. Getting this smaller 2-3GB pieces instead of 20-40GB downloads makes sense to me. In other words, I can get these smaller, indie feeling games that I don't pay attention to for free, to compliment my bigger spends. Really enjoyed the combat removed Bioshock feel of Contrast and I really do look forward to Mercenary Kings when I can finally download it (been checking for awhile and it's still Dead Nation AE on my store).

Looking forward to the future of the PS4.

I'm sorry but I just said that I (and a lot of people) were expecting for more from the PS+ on Ps4 and my expectations wasn't matched with the games that had come out.

Again, what do you expect at this point? You just said it would be crazy to get Assassin's Creed or Killzone, yet you're still saying you expected more. You mention DiveClub, good point, but you're still getting it free whenever it launches. Your wording leads me to believe that you expected even more things beyond DriveClub though so please, enlighten me as to what you and all these other people expected at this point.

And another thing "I agree that we ain't paid more but we haven't had more neither?" So Resogun (one of the PS4's highest rated games overall), Don't Starve, OUTLAST etc were all worthless in your opinion? Now that's just insulting.

Edited by Zskins26

Every time I hear some whiney gamer refer to AAA games like they are a good thing I want to punch someone into a ghost.

I know I posted this on another thread, but for gods sake:

'Triple A' refers to a game having a huge MARKETING budget, and it being considered a safe-bet in terms of having sales in excess of 1 million units.

This means that a AAA game is, by definition, not a risk-taking or original idea, it is a tried and tested, well calculated and focus-tested, easily marketed game.

Bioshock, for example was not a AAA game. Red Dead Redemption was not a AAA game. Arkham Asylum, The Walking Dead, Portal 2, Persona 4 (at least in the west), Little Big Planet, the first Uncharted, LA Noire - these are some of the most beloved games on the platform, and none of them are AAA games by the standard definition. (Sure, after their initial sucess some of their sequals may have been deemed AAA, but you see my point)

You know what was a AAA title -Knack. CoD, Madden, Fifa. 

Tried, tested, sterile products.

AAA is not something to yearn for. Great Games are something to yearn for, and they come in all shapes and sizes.  

Anyone complaining about a 'lack of AAA' needs to have a long hard bath with themself, and think about why they can only see value in the products designed with little to no innovation or originality.

So fr tgis launch we have had Contrast, Resogun, Outlast, AC4 (Triple A, but pretty good) Infamous (possibly triple A by definition, but I doubt it, more likely AAB by mrketing definition), Trine 2, and have Octodad and The Witness coming.

Im very happy so far :)

Every time I hear some whiney gamer refer to AAA games like they are a good thing I want to punch someone into a ghost.

I know I posted this on another thread, but for gods sake:

'Triple A' refers to a game having a huge MARKETING budget, and it being considered a safe-bet in terms of having sales in excess of 1 million units.

This means that a AAA game is, by definition, not a risk-taking or original idea, it is a tried and tested, well calculated and focus-tested, easily marketed game.

Bioshock, for example was not a AAA game. Red Dead Redemption was not a AAA game. Arkham Asylum, The Walking Dead, Portal 2, Persona 4 (at least in the west), Little Big Planet, the first Uncharted, LA Noire - these are some of the most beloved games on the platform, and none of them are AAA games by the standard definition. (Sure, after their initial sucess some of their sequals may have been deemed AAA, but you see my point)

You know what was a AAA title -Knack. CoD, Madden, Fifa. 

Tried, tested, sterile products.

AAA is not something to yearn for. Great Games are something to yearn for, and they come in all shapes and sizes.  

Anyone complaining about a 'lack of AAA' needs to have a long hard bath with themself, and think about why they can only see value in the products designed with little to no innovation or originality.

So fr tgis launch we have had Contrast, Resogun, Outlast, AC4 (Triple A, but pretty good) Infamous (possibly triple A by definition, but I doubt it, more likely AAB by mrketing definition), Trine 2, and have Octodad and The Witness coming.

Im very happy so far :)

Well looking back at the revealing of PS4, most of the game reveals where indies compared to Microsoft's reveal. It's not people are asking for "AAA" games but we are just asking for a more faster pace release of "AAA" games to co-existed with the shed loads of indies games we have at the moment. Indies alone will not sold a console and let's be honest, most people who brought a PS4 brought it for power and strong exclusives. 

Edited by supa-bane

Well looking back at the revealing of PS4, most of the game reveals where indies compared to Microsoft's reveal. It's not people are asking for "AAA" games but we are just asking for a more faster pace release of "AAA" games to co-existed with the shed loads of indies games we have at the moment. Indies alone will not sold a console and let's be honest, most people who brought a PS4 brought it for power and strong exclusives.

Indie games sold the console to me - if The Witness had been announced as an XB1 exclusive id have bought one of them (would still have got a PS4 to continue my tropht hunting tho) but i think the difference between thr consoles so far is that Microsoft is betting big on a few titles being HUGE whereas Sony is banking on killing them with a 'death by 1000 cuts' approach - by having loads and loads of good smaller titles, with bigger budget games as more of a backup

Indie games sold the console to me - if The Witness had been announced as an XB1 exclusive id have bought one of them (would still have got a PS4 to continue my tropht hunting tho) but i think the difference between thr consoles so far is that Microsoft is betting big on a few titles being HUGE whereas Sony is banking on killing them with a 'death by 1000 cuts' approach - by having loads and loads of good smaller titles, with bigger budget games as more of a backup

But let's be real here, the only reason Microsoft ain't "killing" anything is because the people who ran Xbox from the 2001 to 2010 ain't there anymore. I do agree that indies are good and can make a console more awesome but they do start to get boring after a while. 

But let's be real here, the only reason Microsoft ain't "killing" anything is because the people who ran Xbox from the 2001 to 2010 ain't there anymore. I do agree that indies are good and can make a console more awesome but they do start to get boring after a while.

Hmmmm. Can't disagree with you about the Microsoft personnel changes being to blame for thier current woes, but I really do disagree on the Indie games.

Personally, most of the best PS3 games I played were indies - Journey, Flower, Limbo, Lone Survivor, Proteus, Rain, Papa y Yo, The Unfinished Swan, Limbo, Braid, Shatter....... and im very very glad that that legacy is continuing to the PS4

Hmmmm. Can't disagree with you about the Microsoft personnel changes being to blame for thier current woes, but I really do disagree on the Indie games.

Personally, most of the best PS3 games I played were indies - Journey, Flower, Limbo, Lone Survivor, Proteus, Rain, Papa y Yo, The Unfinished Swan, Limbo, Braid, Shatter....... and im very very glad that that legacy is continuing to the PS4

Yer but you have to remember that great PS3 games have came out before inides so there was no drought for "AAA" games. Also not trying to be rude but you and the people who support indies are not the majority, The Walking Dead video game which was made by an indie developer is probably only one of the few that have made major sales and even then the sales they have made can not compare to the likes or Dragon's Dogma or Tomb Raider. 

Indies are here to stay and I know that but at the same time, if a console looks like it's depending on indies to support itself then I don't know what to say. 

• Like 1

Yer but you have to remember that great PS3 games have came out before inides so there was no drought for "AAA" games. Also not trying to be rude but you and the people who support indies are not the majority, The Walking Dead video game which was made by an indie developer is probably only one of the few that have made major sales and even then the sales they have made can not compare to the likes or Dragon's Dogma or Tomb Raider. 

Indies are here to stay and I know that but at the same time, if a console looks like it's depending on indies to support itself then I don't know what to say.

You are right, we are not the majority, but we will be, soon enough, as big budget games gwt more and more risky for companies, so they play it safe agai nand again, until everyone is desperate for anything new, and turn to indie ;)

Your right though - those great 'AAA' titles that came out around the PS3 launch were so awesome - Fracture, Heavenly Sword, Untold Legends, Folklore, Full Auto 2, Blazing Angels, Pure, Facebreaker......