Yakuza 4 or Yakuza 3?

Dreakon139

I used to have Yakuza 4. The game was a lot of fun, but I got lost in the story a bit since I wasn't familiar with the story from the previous three games and I'm not used to reading subtitles... so the game left with a few others in The Great Purge (I traded in a few games I wasn't really going to play anymore).

Well, both Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 3 are $15 on Newegg and I'm kind of thinking I might give the series another shot... since I'm somewhat familar with Yakuza 4, I was kind of wondering what 3 is like. How does it compare to Yakuza 4? They are both the same price, so I can kind of go either way.

Which is the more difficult/time-consuming platinum?

Thanks to anyone who replies! :)

umm. I would say keep it purged. they $15 for a reason. I'm suffering the consequence of a $10 game @ the moment. and even though I tried getting rid of it prior to it leeching itself to My profile, it's sucking the life outta Me.

A buddy of mine got both plats and he says 3 took twice as long as 4 did. So if you're getting it just for trophies, you should probably get 4. Though I hear nothing but good things about the games from him so you should probably try both. I think there's a recap or something from in the game if you wanna know the story without playing the others though.

I wanted to pick up 4 on black friday at Wal-mart, but they had no copies.

umm. I would say keep it purged. they $15 for a reason. I'm suffering the consequence of a $10 game @ the moment. and even though I tried getting rid of it prior to it leeching itself to My profile, it's sucking the life outta Me.

I hear ya, but I don't think that really applies here. Everything I hear about the Yakuza games are good, but I have a feeling it loses people with the incredible about of reading involved (both text dialog and cutscene subtitles), the Japanese audio track and the fact it's so heavy in Japanese culture. I don't think that's a formula that typically sells well in North America and thusly, takes the price down a bit.

A buddy of mine got both plats and he says 3 took twice as long as 4 did. So if you're getting it just for trophies, you should probably get 4. Though I hear nothing but good things about the games from him so you should probably try both. I think there's a recap or something from in the game if you wanna know the story without playing the others though.

I wanted to pick up 4 on black friday at Wal-mart, but they had no copies.

I certainly wouldn't say it's just for the trophies, I never buy or play a game I don't want just for the trophies. However... if the two are similar/interchangeable enough, I'll probably go for the easier one. :lol:

• 5 months later...

Well, both Yakuza 4 and Yakuza 3 are $15 on Newegg and I'm kind of thinking I might give the series another shot... since I'm somewhat familar with Yakuza 4, I was kind of wondering what 3 is like. How does it compare to Yakuza 4? They are both the same price, so I can kind of go either way.

Which is the more difficult/time-consuming platinum?

Having played all but the 4th, they are fantastic games and are a steal at $15 each. So much game for so little, you can't go wrong really. The subs may take some acclimatizing to, but shouldn't be a problem after a little while. As for platinum it's widely documented that Y3 is considered harder and longer. Took me just over 100 hours and more than a handful of hair pulling moments.

I know this is an old thread, but if you're at least still interested I would definitely give them a go. I'm going to finish some other games first before going on to play Y4.

Update: Y4 is a great game, but I resonate more with Y3. While the other playable characters add new dimensions to the game I prefer playing as a single protagonist. I wouldn't mind a spinoff for any of the main characters because they are all pretty awesome in their own way, but it seems some focus was lost by going with 4 concurrent storylines. And as my earlier suspicions, Y3 is quite a lot harder to platinum than Y4. Either way, you can't go wrong with either game. Can't wait for 5

umm. I would say keep it purged. they $15 for a reason.

Since when does price determine quality? There are plenty of brilliant games for under $20. I think it's pretty short-sighted to imply something is bad because it is cheap.

Edited by Aipher
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I just finished Yakuza 3 and now I'm on to 4, both are incredible games! The story in Yakuza 3 was just soooooo good, and the ending was so good, and fulfilling. both sets of trophies aren't terribly difficult, just requires time, so either is good for that. I will say there are more stry-related trophies in 3, so it is easier to plat I imagine. I plan on platting both

• 1 year later...

As a Yakuza fan I recommend getting them both for such a cheap price, and as for the story use the game's reminisce mode and view the events of the past games. (You'll also get a trophy for doing so :P

If you only want to buy the game for the trophies go for 4, less time consuming like other's have said. 

Of course this only applies if you still haven't made up your mind yet since 2011 Lmao. :P

I like Yakuza 3 better than 4. I thought that the move to 4 protagonists made the story more boring. I really enjoyed the story of Yakuza 3 (and I rarely say that for video games).

But Yakuza 3 is definitely harder to plat, and pretty much to do anything else as well. The chase scenes in Yakuza 3 are particularly annoying (if you don't train your character before your extra hard playthrough, you're pretty much screwed).

Dumb post. Just because a game costs $15 doesn't mean anything. The Yakuza games have been out for years - obviously their price will reflect this.

I just finished Yakuza 3 and now I'm on to 4, both are incredible games! The story in Yakuza 3 was just soooooo good, and the ending was so good, and fulfilling. both sets of trophies aren't terribly difficult, just requires time, so either is good for that. I will say there are more stry-related trophies in 3, so it is easier to plat I imagine. I plan on platting both

LOL. Your imagination has run wild.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Despite the cut content I enjoyed Yakuza 3 a lot more, though I may be a bit biased considering it was the first one I played and I picked it up for an absolute bargain ($6!). It's probably more of a sentimental favourite for that reason but I do like the fact that there is an extra city to explore in 3 rather than 4 which is exclusively in Kamurocho and gets a bit boring. Also the story feels more focused and longer; 4 feels a bit disjointed with the four competing characters and storylines which makes it feel a lot shorter. 

• 1 year later...

Yakuza 4 is my first Yakuza game, but I would say 3 is miles better. The gameplay feels exactly the same except that in 4 you play as four characters instead of one. 3 has a better story overall. 3 also has an easier/faster platinum imo. Yakuza 4 is kinda annoying because you have to beat the story three times for all of the difficulty-related trophies.

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2014 at 9:53 PM, pokeslob said:

PS4 gamer here. 

I started the Yakuza series for the first time earlier this year, maybe even late last year with Zero (incredible) Kiwami (Good) and Kiwami 2 (Amazing story which almost topped Zero for me, but I preferred the combat system of Zero and Kiwami to Kiwami 2).

I'm holding out for Yakuza 5 to be released in Feb 2020 and then going to play 3, 4 & 5 back to back and then finally finish the saga with Yakuza 6. Went looking for more details on the game and saw your post on here, and was so happy that the story of 3 continues to be awesome that I had to post a reply to you. Cheers for the info. 

Gonna be a long slog until Feb, but from then on I have 4 amazing games to look forward to.